The Student Room Group

Unfair marking

Can I just start by saying that I am a straight-A Year 12 student. I never receive C's (not that there's nothing wrong with that), and I have NEVER got a D.

I just moved schools (and country), and was given my first ever Business Studies essay (keeping in mind I've never studied Business before).

I received an E on it. Absolutely catastrophic. (Let me tell you right now - the parents were NOT happy.

I emailed her, apologising and asking for another essay, so as to repair the awful grade.

I invested blood, sweat and tears into learning from my mistakes and producing the best essay I've ever written. I'm reading the feedback, it sounds great and I have a good feeling I'll get an A or even a B.

I got a C.

I'm panicking because the parent-teacher interviews are tomorrow, and I really wanted to impress her with a high grade so that my parents could get off my back for a few weeks. I also got a D on my report for Business because obviously the only thing I ever handed up got an E.

Anyone have any advice or just a few kind words to calm me down? Thank you x
Reply 1
it could just be harsh marking;

for my GCSE exams, everyone in my class was getting 3s and 4s (C and D) whilst all the other classes were getting 7s and 8s (A and A*)
when the actual exam came, almost everyone in my class got 7; a lot of teachers feel like marking harshly will encourage the student to work harder but it often just stresses us out more

in your parents evening, ask them what you could do to improve your essays, what you're doing wrong etc in order to up your grade
your teacher should give you the necessary feedback and help to improve your grade, and if not then look up the specification yourself and maybe ask different teachers to help/mark
Original post by guong
it could just be harsh marking;

for my GCSE exams, everyone in my class was getting 3s and 4s (C and D) whilst all the other classes were getting 7s and 8s (A and A*)
when the actual exam came, almost everyone in my class got 7; a lot of teachers feel like marking harshly will encourage the student to work harder but it often just stresses us out more

in your parents evening, ask them what you could do to improve your essays, what you're doing wrong etc in order to up your grade
your teacher should give you the necessary feedback and help to improve your grade, and if not then look up the specification yourself and maybe ask different teachers to help/mark

thank you, i appreciate your advice
Original post by anastasia666
Can I just start by saying that I am a straight-A Year 12 student. I never receive C's (not that there's nothing wrong with that), and I have NEVER got a D.

I just moved schools (and country), and was given my first ever Business Studies essay (keeping in mind I've never studied Business before).

I received an E on it. Absolutely catastrophic. (Let me tell you right now - the parents were NOT happy.

I emailed her, apologising and asking for another essay, so as to repair the awful grade.

I invested blood, sweat and tears into learning from my mistakes and producing the best essay I've ever written. I'm reading the feedback, it sounds great and I have a good feeling I'll get an A or even a B.

I got a C.

I'm panicking because the parent-teacher interviews are tomorrow, and I really wanted to impress her with a high grade so that my parents could get off my back for a few weeks. I also got a D on my report for Business because obviously the only thing I ever handed up got an E.

You’re foreign, aren’t you? What sort of parents pile that amount of pressure on their child that a single E grade is seen as some calamity?

It’s pretty ****ty parenting
Original post by Reality Check
You’re foreign, aren’t you? What sort of parents pile that amount of pressure on their child that a single E grade is seen as some calamity?

It’s pretty ****ty parenting

Thank you! I love my parents but I put 100% effort into EVERYTHING and I hate how much I disappoint them...
Original post by anastasia666

I got a C.

Wouldnt it be great if everyone who worked hard got an A*.

Unfortunatly the reality is not everyone can have A*A*A* and certainly cant start there. You might need some time to adjust to the new standards, keep working hard (and smart) and the grades will come but you may never get the grades you want, the reality is A-levels start to really test individuals and simply putting in a couple hours work wont get you a grade like it can at gcse.

Good luck with A-levels, but I wouldnt worry about parents evening it is what it is (i use to be a **** in school and parents evening use to be an annual teacher takes shots on the arrogant little $hit night for me, youll be fine).
Original post by mnot
Wouldnt it be great if everyone who worked hard got an A*.

Unfortunatly the reality is not everyone can have A*A*A* and certainly cant start there. You might need some time to adjust to the new standards, keep working hard (and smart) and the grades will come but you may never get the grades you want, the reality is A-levels start to really test individuals and simply putting in a couple hours work wont get you a grade like it can at gcse.

Good luck with A-levels, but I wouldnt worry about parents evening it is what it is (i use to be a **** in school and parents evening use to be an annual teacher takes shots on the arrogant little $hit night for me, youll be fine).

thank you, i appreciate the support man

Quick Reply

Latest