The Student Room Group

Am I right to reconsider applying to paediatric nursing??

Original post by curly123x
So basically, I'm doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in science, and I'm in the second year , so in the process of applying to UCAS.

I've already decided to apply study biological science at a few universities, (as I'm interested in teaching) and I was thinking of also applying for paediatric nursing at a couple of unis, but I recently came across a few stories online that really put me off.

I don't really want to go into details, but they were mostly really gross"horror stories" involving poo, wee, sick and other disgusting stuff.

Then I started looking at midwifery instead, but there were similar horror stories for that as well, and now I'm reconsidering whether to apply for any of those kinds of courses at all?

But for a comparison, I've heard a lot of teaching horror stories like kids hitting/biting/spitting at teachers and stuff like that, but despite going to a fairly rubbish primary school, a similar kind of secondary and then college, I've never seen anything like that . And btw neither has my mom, (thankfully) who has worked as a teaching assistant and later cover supervisor for many years.

So basically, I want to know if these horror stories like say, getting thrown up on or weed on are just horror stories (like most of the teaching ones), or more like regular occurrences for a nurse or a student nurse??

If you do pick nursing, you will end up with peoples bodily fluids on you
And yeah it’s a bit gross but in the end these people are sick and they need your help

Scroll to see replies

Am I right to reconsider applying to paediatric nursing??

So basically, I'm doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in science, and I'm in the second year , so in the process of applying to UCAS.

I've already decided to apply study biological science at a few universities, (as I'm interested in teaching) and I was thinking of also applying for paediatric nursing at a couple of unis, but I recently came across a few stories online that really put me off.

I don't really want to go into details, but they were mostly really gross"horror stories" involving poo, wee, sick and other disgusting stuff.

Then I started looking at midwifery instead, but there were similar horror stories for that as well, and now I'm reconsidering whether to apply for any of those kinds of courses at all?

But for a comparison, I've heard a lot of teaching horror stories like kids hitting/biting/spitting at teachers and stuff like that, but despite going to a fairly rubbish primary school, a similar kind of secondary and then college, I've never seen anything like that . And btw neither has my mom, (thankfully) who has worked as a teaching assistant and later cover supervisor for many years.

So basically, I want to know if these horror stories like say, getting thrown up on or weed on are just horror stories (like most of the teaching ones), or more like regular occurrences for a nurse or a student nurse??

And yeah it’s a bit gross but in the end these people are sick and they need your help
Original post by Pugglet

Oh :frown: But like to what extent? Like getting it all over your uniform and stuff?? Or worse on your face or hair :frown:?? Because some of the stories involved stuff like that and it just confused me as nurses and midwives would be wearing masks right?

Would things like that be on the level of a student talking back to you or a student punching you in the face?? (In therms of how common they'd be lol)

Btw I'm really sorry if any of that sounded rude or offensive, that wasn't my intention at all!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Oh :frown: But like to what extent? Like getting it all over your uniform and stuff?? Or worse on your face or hair :frown:?? Because some of the stories involved stuff like that and it just confused me as nurses and midwives would be wearing masks right?

Would things like that be on the level of a student talking back to you or a student punching you in the face?? (In therms of how common they'd be lol)

Btw I'm really sorry if any of that sounded rude or offensive, that wasn't my intention at all!

I’m currently a student nurse.
It’s most likely to go over your uniform and you do try to wear gloves and aprons to protect yourself. Masks aren’t commonly used and it is possible to get bodily fluids on your face and hair but your hair has to be tied up above your collar at all times and so unless you are below someone or in the direct line of fire it would be difficult to manage to get stuff there.

I can’t say much about difficulties in teaching but kids are challenging and there is always going to be a difficult one or several of them.

Also you always hear about the horror stories because they are the more interesting stories to tell compared to the thousands of other patients or kids you see and treat or teach who are uneventful or well behaved.

Look into doing some work experience if you can and this will allow you to see the day to day life of the jobs

I can say as a student nurse I absolutely love it.
If you were undertaking a task where there is a risk of splash injury to the face of eyes, then face and eye protection can (and should) be worn. Environments where there’s more of a risk of this will have PPE for this.
Original post by Pugglet
I’m currently a student nurse.
It’s most likely to go over your uniform and you do try to wear gloves and aprons to protect yourself. Masks aren’t commonly used and it is possible to get bodily fluids on your face and hair but your hair has to be tied up above your collar at all times and so unless you are below someone or in the direct line of fire it would be difficult to manage to get stuff there.

I can’t say much about difficulties in teaching but kids are challenging and there is always going to be a difficult one or several of them.

Also you always hear about the horror stories because they are the more interesting stories to tell compared to the thousands of other patients or kids you see and treat or teach who are uneventful or well behaved.

Look into doing some work experience if you can and this will allow you to see the day to day life of the jobs

I can say as a student nurse I absolutely love it.

First of all sorry about the late reply! I got ill with tonsillitis for a couple of weeks and then we went away for a few days, then Christmas and New Years so I had a really busy few weeks.

I would love to do voluntary work in a hospital setting, but unfortunately that would have to be after I make my UCAS applications and I’ve not got long till the deadline.

I agree completely that horror stories are rare, and I think it would be dumb for me to not apply to a course that is interesting and leads to a rewarding career just because of a few stories like that which may or may not be true anyway 🤷🏽*♀️.

So I will probably be applying for biological sciences (as I’m interested in teaching) as well as paediatric nursing, the only thing left to finalise now is the universities!
Original post by moonkatt
If you were undertaking a task where there is a risk of splash injury to the face of eyes, then face and eye protection can (and should) be worn. Environments where there’s more of a risk of this will have PPE for this.

It’s good to know that some universities do it that way, hopefully the one I go to will haha.
I think there are horror stories in many professions . My son is in year one at infant school and he has a very difficult year group , in which there has been a lot of physical restraint and physical issues ....

As a mum of two kids , one that’s had many medical issues - I can officially say I’ve been covered in absolutely every bodily fluid imaginable . But it’s part of being a mum , I guess the same as it’s part of being a children’s nurse . I have friends with kids , that still struggle with sick , but for me personally it’s never bothered me ( well apart from cleaning sickness bugs out of everything in the house ! Ha ) . I guess it depends if you think your the type of person that can handle bodily fluids or not ? Hope that helps x
Original post by Chrissyl88
I think there are horror stories in many professions . My son is in year one at infant school and he has a very difficult year group , in which there has been a lot of physical restraint and physical issues ....

As a mum of two kids , one that’s had many medical issues - I can officially say I’ve been covered in absolutely every bodily fluid imaginable . But it’s part of being a mum , I guess the same as it’s part of being a children’s nurse . I have friends with kids , that still struggle with sick , but for me personally it’s never bothered me ( well apart from cleaning sickness bugs out of everything in the house ! Ha ) . I guess it depends if you think your the type of person that can handle bodily fluids or not ? Hope that helps x

Actually that is what I was thinking earlier, no point missing out on a good course because of something like mess, especially when it looks like protection is used when required haha.

At the end of the day body fluids are a part of life lol 🤷🏽*♀️. And I definitely wouldn’t have any masks, etc when dealing with things like that at home 😂.

And I am aware of the problems involved in teaching, not just the behaviour stuff but it’s apparently also quite hard to get good teaching jobs if you haven’t done courses in maths, physics or stuff like that (I know because my mom works in schools), which is why I’m applying to nursing along with biological Sciences.

Thanks 💜
Actually that is what I was thinking earlier, no point missing out on a good course because of something like mess, especially when it looks like protection is used when required haha.

At the end of the day body fluids are a part of life lol 🤷🏽*♀️. And I definitely wouldn’t have any masks, etc when dealing with things like that at home 😂.

And I am aware of the problems involved in teaching, not just the behaviour stuff but it’s apparently also quite hard to get good teaching jobs if you haven’t done courses in maths, physics or stuff like that (I know because my mom works in schools), which is why I’m applying to nursing along with biological Sciences.

Thanks 💜

No exactly , there will always be negatives , but maybe focus on all the positives you could get from the job . It’s amazing what you can handle when in those situations ! My sons gastrostomy came out once and milk was lit leaking all over the floor from the hole in his stomach .... looking back it was hilarious , as I had to get another one to put back inside his stomach ( so so weird , but things like that soon became normal) . What unis you applying too ?
Omg 😶😶 What condition does your son have if you don’t mind me asking? Hope he’s ok now 💜

And I’m thinking of applying to 2 or 3 nearby unis, as well as 2 or 3 far away ones, haven’t finalised which ones exactly yet!
He had problems with his osophagus and trachea, so we have got very used to a whole load of different medical things , he’s mostly doing well now though thank you . I did a sociology and criminology degree like ten years ago , I remember looking then and not having to worry about distance , now I’m lit applying for nearest 3 , which luckily are all really good for nursing
He had problems with his osophagus and trachea, so we have got very used to a whole load of different medical things , he’s mostly doing well now though thank you . I did a sociology and criminology degree like ten years ago , I remember looking then and not having to worry about distance , now I’m lit applying for nearest 3 , which luckily are all really good for nursing

Ahh ok, that does sound difficult to deal with, especially for a little kid. Really glad he’s doing well now. 💜🙏🏽

I was interested in psychology and criminology earlier! But I decided not to apply to those as it’s mainly teaching that I want to do, and apparently it’s hard to get into teaching with subjects like that so I went with biology.

What type of nursing are you applying to?
Ahh ok, that does sound difficult to deal with, especially for a little kid. Really glad he’s doing well now. 💜🙏🏽

I was interested in psychology and criminology earlier! But I decided not to apply to those as it’s mainly teaching that I want to do, and apparently it’s hard to get into teaching with subjects like that so I went with biology.

What type of nursing are you applying to?

Yeah he doesn’t always find it easy , has been very hard at times , but luckily he’s had a good level of understanding from a young age . I want to do children’s nursing , you ?

I loved the criminology aspect of my degree , really interesting , but looking back should of done a more career orientated subject , like nursing instead ! In another life I would love to be a primary school teacher
Yeah he doesn’t always find it easy , has been very hard at times , but luckily he’s had a good level of understanding from a young age . I want to do children’s nursing , you ?

I loved the criminology aspect of my degree , really interesting , but looking back should of done a more career orientated subject , like nursing instead ! In another life I would love to be a primary school teacher

I’m sure it is hard both for him and you, you should be really proud of yourself for dealing with all of that as well as making time for your career/education too 🙌🏽

And that is a coincidence haha, I’m most probably applying to paediatric nursing and biological science (to be either a children’s nurse or a primary school teacher!)
Thank you , it has taught me a lot of skills I’m hoping will help on the course ( if I get in ha ) .

I think teaching and nursing are both really rewarding , so I think which ever one you do will be amazing . You applying for nursing and biological science at the same uni do you think ?
Thank you , it has taught me a lot of skills I’m hoping will help on the course ( if I get in ha ) .

I think teaching and nursing are both really rewarding , so I think which ever one you do will be amazing . You applying for nursing and biological science at the same uni do you think ?

Yeah definitely, your real life experience with your son would be useful when you’re learning about similar conditions, and I think it would also be really helpful when it comes to relating to families of kids you treat and care for 💜

And that is why I’m interested in those two careers tbh, because they are very rewarding as well as the fact that they’re flexible so I can continue working part time and stuff in the future when I (hopefully🤞🏽🤞🏽) have kids of my own

And yeah I might apply to both at one of the nearby unis, probably Wolverhampton as it has the lowest requirements haha
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah definitely, your real life experience with your son would be useful when you’re learning about similar conditions, and I think it would also be really helpful when it comes to relating to families of kids you treat and care for 💜

And that is why I’m interested in those two careers tbh, because they are very rewarding as well as the fact that they’re flexible so I can continue working part time and stuff in the future when I (hopefully🤞🏽🤞🏽) have kids of my own

And yeah I might apply to both at one of the nearby unis, probably Wolverhampton as it has the lowest requirements haha

Yeah I definitely know how hard being in hospital is for a parent.

and yeah exactly both good carers you can come back to after having kids ( totally what I shoulda done ten years ago ha ) .

you applying soon as almost the deadline ? Very intrigued to see what course you end up on
It’s good to know that some universities do it that way, hopefully the one I go to will haha.

It’s health and safety at work policy, so is underpinned by law, not individual university policy. So appropriate PPE has to be supplied for tasks. Obviously there are times where you might get caught short, but this is why splash or sharps injuries (for example) get incident reported and investigated.

and yeah exactly both good carers you can come back to after having kids ( totally what I shoulda done ten years ago ha ) .

you applying soon as almost the deadline ? Very intrigued to see what course you end up on

I’m sure it is really hard, and it’s great that you’re going into a career where you’ll be supporting people who are going through the same thing.

And yeah my mom always encourages us to pick careers that we can carry on with whilst starting a family, etc so I always keep that in mind.

Haha I’ll be doing my final application next week just in time 😂

And I will keep you updated on what happens cuz I genuinely don’t know atm, I’ll have to get work experience in both environments after making the applications. Tried to find a primary school to volunteer at for months but they were either not responding or saying they had enough volunteers already, so I had to settle with a playgroup in the end as it’s the closest I could get (but it’s actually nice cuz I like playing with the little kids haha).

But basically yeah I don’t have much experience working in either schools or hospitals unfortunately
(edited 4 years ago)

Hey just thought you might wanna know, I finished my application and put it through today, and I did apply to both biological sciences and paediatric nursing as planned!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending