The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xdopaminex
Help.

Generally they will ask about why you, why this job, why this dept, what your career plans are and what skills and experience you have. Be prepared to ask some questions as well to show you've done your homework and want to work there.
Are you expecting a face to face interview or Skype interview? Also May I ask what role are you applying for?
Reply 3
Original post by Jack Xiong
Are you expecting a face to face interview or Skype interview? Also May I ask what role are you applying for?

Skype Interview. I really want to get into it. I always wanted to work in the company and it would give me so much joy if they hire me for an internship role.
Reply 4
If its just a skype interview I wouldnt worry too much. They will only ask you competency based questions, such as "give me an example of a time you showed leadership skills/financial etc etc". It usually lasts around 20minutes. its the face to face interview which is the real killer.

Good luck
Reply 5
Why is the face to face interview the 'real killer'?
Why is the face to face interview the 'real killer'?

well the Skype interview is conducted by a third party ExxonMobil hired, they won't ask you specific questions so prepare a bunch of situations where you demonstrate positive traits they are looking for is more than enough. While in the face to face interview you will face 2 project managers and their questions are more specific and will give you around 10 minutes of technical questions in the end.

At this state I recommend you to prepare the interview using the STAR format, and visit glassdoor.com for some past questions. The Skype interview is very general so no need to panic, regarding the interviewer don't know anything about the job you are applying for.
Reply 7
could you please elaborate on the face to face interview the kind of technical questions?
Reply 8
Original post by hebs13
could you please elaborate on the face to face interview the kind of technical questions?

you just have to know your stuff and be able to articulate your thinking

the technical questions are chem eng questions, e.g. they might draw a mini p&id and tell you to identify the things on it, potential issues, the flow dynamics, pressure dynamics etc. dependson the interviewer though
Reply 9
mine is a commercial graduate position that's why I am not sure what kind of technical questions
Does anyone know when the Exxon assessment centres will hold, and if any has been held so far? Still waiting to hear back from technical interview.
Original post by hebs13
mine is a commercial graduate position that's why I am not sure what kind of technical questions

When is your interview?
Original post by Kits
you just have to know your stuff and be able to articulate your thinking

the technical questions are chem eng questions, e.g. they might draw a mini p&id and tell you to identify the things on it, potential issues, the flow dynamics, pressure dynamics etc. dependson the interviewer though

Did you get an invite to the assessment centre?
Nah. Got rejected.
Nah. Got rejected.

Do you remember what questions they asked for Skype interview?
Reply 15
Original post by HiOctane
Do you remember what questions they asked for Skype interview?

Hey man, I did the Skype interview recently, it was 10 mins max. They asked simple questions such as name a time you used numerical data to achieve results, why Exxon, something along the lines of name a time you had a tough conversation with someone and how that made you feel, have you ever worked with people who were difficult to work with/ did not cooperate and what you did to deal with them. There were a couple more which I can't remember but as long as you have a few examples which demonstrate basic competencies you don't really need to do any prep for it. They got back to me in 3 days and called me in for a face to face interview.
Reply 16
Hey man, I did the Skype interview last week. it was pretty short, I think 10 mins max. He asked simple questions such as name a time you worked with numerical data to achieve results, why Exxon, something along the lines of having a tough conversation and how you felt, worked with people who did not cooperate or were difficult to work. I think there were a couple more but I can't remember, but they were all very easy, as long as you have a few examples to show basic competencies it doesn't really require any prep. They got back to me in 3 days and called me for an in person interview.
Reply 17
hey all! I have applied for the Commercial role, and I just received an invite to the final Assessment Day on the 16th :smile: quite happy about that haha has anyone else heard back? I'm also happy to answer any questions about the Skype and face-to-face interview experience (both interviews were classic STAR Competancy questions in my experience).. Good luck with the applications everyone! :smile:
Hi there. I have a skype interview scheduled tmrw. Can you list the questions please? Thank you!
Reply 19
Original post by optimusraven
Hi there. I have a skype interview scheduled tmrw. Can you list the questions please? Thank you!

Hey. I'm not sure as to the exact questions because I think the interviewer can decide between a couple in front of them for the Skype interview... However, there were 3 or 4 very typical competency questions - i.e. tell me a time when you had to compromise, when you had to adapt etc. and then the final part was "Why Exxon/grad scheme". Nothing surprising, and the 15minutes flies by. Good luck for tomorrow!

Latest