The Student Room Group

I think I'm going to drop out tomorrow

No social life at uni, hate it here and getting serious fomo. I've tried societies, course mates are extremely anti-social and I don't live halls. I've been here for nearly 3 months and I've been out 3 times :frown:

Is it a bad/rash decision or am I right to leave?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
No social life at uni, hate it here and getting serious fomo. I've tried societies, course mates are extremely anti-social and I don't live halls. I've been here for nearly 3 months and I've been out 3 times :frown:

Is it a bad/rash decision or am I right to leave?

Start simple: do you like your course? Not the people or the lecturers but the content. Do you enjoy what you are learning?
(edited 4 years ago)
3 months out of 36. (Technically academic year is shorter but you get my point).

Yes, it's a very rash decision.

Might be better to transfer unis instead of completely giving up and dropping out too?
Have you talked to your tutor about it?
I don’t think the poster is here.

If you like your course and it’s just the lack of social life then it is rash. The primary reason to go to uni should be to get a degree. However, it will be a long 4 years if you dont make friends.

So if you want to know why you aren’t making friends then you’ll need to reflect on why the usual things didn’t work like joining societies. Are you quite quiet naturally?
Is it just the social aspect your having trouble with or the course your doing?
If it’s just the social than stay. Don’t give up on your studies, try to find something rewarding to do like volunteering, or go to a hobby group your interested in
Reply 6
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
3 months out of 36. (Technically academic year is shorter but you get my point).

Yes, it's a very rash decision.

Might be better to transfer unis instead of completely giving up and dropping out too?

I can't. Computer science is filled up to the brim at any decent uni (cut off point is QMUL).
I can't. Computer science is filled up to the brim at any decent uni (cut off point is QMUL).

I would not drop out until you have a -solid- plan of what you'll be doing with your life instead once you quit the course.
Reply 8
Original post by FingersXed84
Start simple: do you like your course? Not the people or the lecturers but the content. Do you enjoy what you are learning?

I love Computer Science and love the uni location but the people are ****ing sad man. The content is interesting, I understand some modules were never going to interesting to me (I hate learning about computer hardware, so ****ing boring), but that's expected and nothing new.

I chose this uni specifically over the likes of Durham cos the people, thinking it would be social and diverse. It isn't. You only hang out with your ethnic group.

As much as you want to shun/deny it, social life is a big part, if not the most important part of university. People leave their jobs all the time, if their unhappy, even if they like the role/sector. It isn't uncontroversial, so why is it controversial for me to leave university?
Reply 9
I would not drop out until you have a -solid- plan of what you'll be doing with your life instead once you quit the course.

This is harder said than done but I was thinking of resitting maths to bring it from an A to A* + sitting further marhs and having a shot at UCL. As I said my university location is top class and the course is great but the people here are lacking.
This is harder said than done but I was thinking of resitting maths to bring it from an A to A* sitting further marhs and having a shot at UCL. As I said my university location is top class and the course is great but the people here are lacking.

It's a plan. I would call UCL and explain the situation/plan to them and see what they say too.

One thing id worry about though is if you go to UCL and you have the same experience as with this uni?
(edited 4 years ago)
I love Computer Science and love the uni location but the people are ****ing sad man. The content is interesting, I understand some modules were never going to interesting to me (I hate learning about computer hardware, so ****ing boring), but that's expected and nothing new.

I chose this uni specifically over the likes of Durham cos the people, thinking it would be social and diverse. It isn't. You only hang out with your ethnic group.

As much as you want to shun/deny it, social life is a big part, if not the most important part of university. People leave their jobs all the time, if their unhappy, even if they like the role/sector. It isn't uncontroversial, so why is it controversial for me to leave university?

Yes but when you leave a job you have another one to start immediately after. Plus a workplace is a small place. A university is huge. I think it’s highly unlikely that everyone (even everyone on your course) is bad company. And another university won’t be that much different. You could easily end up changing course and end up in the same position (except you’ll be poorer and older). I’ve been to several universities and the people are mostly the same. You talk to people and show an interest and they will do the same for you.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's a plan. I would call UCL and explain the situation/plan to them and see what they say too.

One thing id worry about though is if you go to UCL and you have the same experience as with this uni?

I've been to UCL and joined their societies (social suicide as a KCL student lmao) and they are AMAZING.

2 people already invited me out to Guys' Bar? Theubgoto ucl and invited me out to Guys'Bar. They go to UCL and invited me to Guys bar more times than any other KCL student (once).

Also UCL socs are sensible with events. India soc here at KCL has clubbing events? How am I supposed to meet people in a club? Everyone is wasted and just wants to get lit.
I've been to UCL and joined their societies (social suicide as a KCL student lmao) and they are AMAZING.

2 people already invited me out to Guys' Bar? Theubgoto ucl and invited me out to Guys'Bar. They go to UCL and invited me to Guys bar more times than any other KCL student (once).

Also UCL socs are sensible with events. India soc here at KCL has clubbing events? How am I supposed to meet people in a club? Everyone is wasted and just wants to get lit.

****ing tsr for mobile is trash
Yes but when you leave a job you have another one to start immediately after. Plus a workplace is a small place. A university is huge. I think it’s highly unlikely that everyone (even everyone on your course) is bad company. And another university won’t be that much different. You could easily end up changing course and end up in the same position (except you’ll be poorer and older). I’ve been to several universities and the people are mostly the same. You talk to people and show an interest and they will do the same for you.

They show interests for their friends who they met before you. Their accommodation friends.
They show interests for their friends who they met before you. Their accommodation friends.

That’s because they have something in common. They will have bumped into each other and said do you know where the kitchens are or the nearest shops etc. Then found out that they take the same class. So when they see each other, they will say hi as they recognise each other. You just need to make that first move.
3 months out of 36.

But people have already developed a solid friendship group in those 3 months. My accquitance circle (who I refuse to call friends) don't even have a group chat.
That’s because they have something in common. They will have bumped into each other and said do you know where the kitchens are or the nearest shops etc. Then found out that they take the same class. So when they see each other, they will say hi as they recognise each other. You just need to make that first move.

We've been sitting next to each other in lectures for 2 months man like what the ****
We've been sitting next to each other in lectures for 2 months man like what the ****

And maybe they are sitting there thinking the same thing. That girl (you) is weird. She never talks to me. Or worse they think you don’t talk to them because you think you are cooler.

The truth is you’ll never know unless you try. It’s scary making the first move but once you’ve done it a few times you’ll find it easier. And you might just find some kindred spirits along the way.

Try something simple like moaning about tutorial times or long lectures or something easily relatable. Then introduce yourself and ask for his or her name. You’ll find you’ll be talking in no time. Then sit beside them next time and try from there. Everyone is unsure when starting university. Everyone is scared that they won’t fit in. But uni is great because every type of person goes there. Even people just like you. I promise.
And maybe they are sitting there thinking the same thing. That girl (you) is weird. She never talks to me. Or worse they think you don’t talk to them because you think you are cooler.

The truth is you’ll never know unless you try. It’s scary making the first move but once you’ve done it a few times you’ll find it easier. And you might just find some kindred spirits along the way.

Try something simple like moaning about tutorial times or long lectures or something easily relatable. Then introduce yourself and ask for his or her name. You’ll find you’ll be talking in no time. Then sit beside them next time and try from there. Everyone is unsure when starting university. Everyone is scared that they won’t fit in. But uni is great because every type of person goes there. Even people just like you. I promise.

When I say we sit next to each other I mean we go to lectures together, and soend time with each other in the hour break in between lectures. We eat together as well BUT if we don't have a lecture we won't see each other, we don't even have a group chat. We haven't gone out together. Me and my friend have tried to get them to do something. Even a simple pizza hut after a lecture fell through. We've tried getting them to go clubbing or even a ****ing buffet or something. It's impossible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending