The Student Room Group

Best/most accurate thermometers for clinical use

Question for doctors,

What is the most accurate/reliable thermometer that you trust for use in practise? I am looking for a reliable thermometer to buy for use in various clinical setting but I am seeing mix reviews for many products. I am aware the need to use different areas due to age etc but I wanted to some advise regarding what thermometers you use and trust in terms of their reliability. Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

According to a local paeds SpR: under-arm thermometer are most reliable for children (did not specify an age range, but patient our was <3)
Original post by notespad
According to a local paeds SpR: under-arm thermometer are most reliable for children (did not specify an age range, but patient our was <3)

I believe anyone below the age of 5 should have their measurement taken under-arm. I was looking to get a tympanic thermo for use in adults but they have such mix reviews. Obviously when trying to use NEWS2 (I know it's not validated in the community setting) etc it's important we get accurate readings.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Optimist
Question for doctors,

What is the most accurate/reliable thermometer that you trust for use in practise? I am looking for a reliable thermometer to buy for use in various clinical setting but I am seeing mix reviews for many products. I am aware the need to use different areas due to age etc but I wanted to some advise regarding what thermometers you use and trust in terms of their reliability. Thanks in advance.

Almost every GP Practice I know uses a Braun Thermoscan, but we have to have any equipment tested and calibrated annually anyway
Original post by GANFYD
Almost every GP Practice I know uses a Braun Thermoscan, but we have to have any equipment tested and calibrated annually anyway

Braun seem to be quite a popular one generally but when I checked the reviews, there were many mixed ones including people accusing the devices of being "inaccurate". Obviously that could just be people not using it properly etc. I'll probably just get a Braun for now.
Reply 5
Braun seem to be quite a popular one generally but when I checked the reviews, there were many mixed ones including people accusing the devices of being "inaccurate". Obviously that could just be people not using it properly etc. I'll probably just get a Braun for now.

How can somebody tell if a thermometer is inacurate? Ours are calibrated reguarly and there has never been an issue with them
I can lend you my mercury one, which still has both °F and °C on it.

Literally one of the things I'd rescue in a house fire, along with a child :laugh:
Original post by GANFYD
How can somebody tell if a thermometer is inacurate? Ours are calibrated reguarly and there has never been an issue with them

Perhaps they're cross checking it with other thermometers? Also, a complain I see a lot is getting quite different readings despite checking the same area within a small time frame. Like I said, that could just be them not using the devise correctly. But that's why I opened this thread, to get the experience of other clinicians rather than just relying on reviews on Amazon etc.
Original post by Reality Check

Literally one of the things I'd rescue in a house fire, along with a child :laugh:

hahaha! :biggrin: It sounds like you're quite attached to it, I will not put you in agony by temporarily borrowing it from you.
Reply 9
Perhaps they're cross checking it with other thermometers? Also, a complain I see a lot is getting quite different readings despite checking the same area within a small time frame. Like I said, that could just be them not using the devise correctly. But that's why I opened this thread, to get the experience of other clinicians rather than just relying on reviews on Amazon etc.

And how do they know which one is inaccurate?
And temp should vary and there is always a margin for error in readings, but the clinical significance of a temp of 36.8C v 37.1C is zero
Reply 10

Is this some random child, or did you have one in particular in mind??
Original post by GANFYD
Is this some random child, or did you have one in particular in mind??

:laugh: we get all sorts wandering in off the streets round these parts.
Reply 12
:laugh: we get all sorts wandering in off the streets round these parts.

Nice to know you have your underwear on over your trousers! At least I will now who to call when I can't get mine out of bed if the house was on fire!
Original post by GANFYD
And how do they know which one is inaccurate?
And temp should vary and there is always a margin for error in readings, but the clinical significance of a temp of 36.8C v 37.1C is zero

Seeing different measurements etc from the device could obviously lead to a lay person thinking the devices may be inaccurate. How they decided which is more accurate or not is something you need to go and ask them.
As for your comment regarding the clinical difference between 36.8 vs 37.1C being "zero" I hope you're not assuming that in all ranges because a difference between lets say 36 and 36.1 is certainly not zero clinically speaking. Go have a look at the NEWS2 scoring system for example.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Nice to know you have your underwear on over your trousers! At least I will now who to call when I can't get mine out of bed if the house was on fire!

:rofl: this is so true. Ganfyd is always the cold voice of reason on TSR - this is what I love about you
Reply 15
Seeing different measurements etc from the device could obviously lead to a lay person thinking the devices may be inaccurate. How they decided which is more accurate or not is something you need to go and ask them.
As for your comment regarding the clinical difference between 36.8 vs 37.1C being "zero" I hope you're not assuming that in all ranges because a difference between lets say 36 and 36.1 is certainly not zero clinically speaking. Go have a look at the NEWS2 scoring system for example.

I am familiar with NEWS2, thanks, but can assure you the clinical relevance of a difference in temperature of 0.1C at any level is zero
Reply 16
:rofl: this is so true. Ganfyd is always the cold voice of reason on TSR - this is what I love about you

Learned it from the masters on TSR! :biggrin:
Original post by GANFYD
I am familiar with NEWS2, thanks, but can assure you the clinical relevance of a difference in temperature of 0.1C at any level is zero

Except the clinical relevance can not be zero when validated clinical tools like NEWS2 consider even 0.1C difference to be relevant. The point is not just whether generally someone with a 36C temp is at a higher risk relative to someone with a 36.1 temp but also how these differences are used in clinical setting. You seem to have your own definition of clinical relevance.
Most of the differences in readings from tympanic thermometers stems from poor technique in my experience.

Any equipment you use like this for patient care will need to be regularly calibrated by medical electronics as GANFYD has already mentioned.
Original post by moonkatt
Most of the differences in readings from tympanic thermometers stems from poor technique in my experience.

Any equipment you use like this for patient care will need to be regularly calibrated by medical electronics as GANFYD has already mentioned.

I know that is the case in GP surgeries, however in my area of healthcare where I work, they do not provide these tools, I was looking for a thermometer to carry with me to work (I locum in pharmacies). That's why I wanted to get a thermometer that is generally seen as reliable by clinicians. I'll probably just get a Braun and just have it recalibrated annually until I replace it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending