The Student Room Group

I suck at analysing paragraphs

Since year 7 I am unable to construct a decent-sized analytical essay in english tests. I only manage one and a half paragraphs while everyone else writes pages and pages.

Thing is when I write theories on games and tv shows I can go on and on about specific points, back them up with sufficient evidence and refer back to points successfully. So why can't I do that in class?!

Is it a matter of whether I like something or not that affects my performance? if so how do I fix myself to actually do the work to a great standard?

all replies appreciated. ty :heart:
Reply 1
Original post by StargazingFloof
Since year 7 I am unable to construct a decent-sized analytical essay in english tests. I only manage one and a half paragraphs while everyone else writes pages and pages.

Thing is when I write theories on games and tv shows I can go on and on about specific points, back them up with sufficient evidence and refer back to points successfully. So why can't I do that in class?!

Is it a matter of whether I like something or not that affects my performance? if so how do I fix myself to actually do the work to a great standard?

all replies appreciated. ty :heart:

Sounds to me like you are stuck for ideas. What topics are you having trouble writing about?
Original post by 0le
Sounds to me like you are stuck for ideas. What topics are you having trouble writing about?

It's MEAL paragraphs basically. if you asked me to write one on the spot about To Kill a Mockingbird I probably wouldn't be able to.
I can write those kinds of paragraphs when it comes to stuff not related to school but in class, it's virtually impossible.

I'm currently covering Merchant of Venice; Shylock specifically.
I learned think your English examiner is 2. Write what seems obvious
Reply 4
Original post by StargazingFloof
It's MEAL paragraphs basically. if you asked me to write one on the spot about To Kill a Mockingbird I probably wouldn't be able to.
I can write those kinds of paragraphs when it comes to stuff not related to school but in class, it's virtually impossible.

I'm currently covering Merchant of Venice; Shylock specifically.

I don't know what a MEAL paragraph is but when I studied English Literature I literally always wrote the first thing that came to my head. I identified a passage and explained what it meant to me. I then identified another passage and explained what that meant to ME. I tried to build an argument about what the author was trying to get across, by linking what all those smaller passages meant to me together. So maybe a poem, each line talks about war, famine, death, the atuthor is therefore getting across an dark, cold, depressing atmosphere etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending