The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lexieee.m
hey :smile: What netball position do you play? also can't believe you are learning 4 languages that is so cool! My fav subject is maths too haha x

helllooo (i think u were refering to me when u said this. next time click reply first then say what u wanted to say)

well technically ive already learnt one other language but im just learning to read and write so i think im learning 3 and a half languages? lolll

I normally play GD or GK because im decent at defending however I've gotten called for contact countless of times hehe which is probably why im put into the B team (BUT this could also be bc all the A team players are really good but two of them have left so i have a chance! Also i normally am subbed on if A teamers are absent :biggrin:)

Do u play netball? If u do what position do u play?
I am kinda torn on what to take for GCSEs :s-smilie: so any advice would be much appreciated xD my favourite subjects are maths and science, and i really love history but everyone says that it is really hard? any advice x

If you have a real interest in it, then go for it. whoever some advice from me would be to look at the gcse syllabus. Are the topics that you're going to do interesting? also there will be lots of essay writing as well as memorising key dates and terms especially because its history. Also you need to analyse things so id say if ur good at English you have a good chance at getting a good grade at history but for me im really bad at English and im amazing at history. who knows at this rate.

What other subjects are you going to do for gcse?
Original post by TazmeenX
helllooo (i think u were refering to me when u said this. next time click reply first then say what u wanted to say)

well technically ive already learnt one other language but im just learning to read and write so i think im learning 3 and a half languages? lolll

I normally play GD or GK because im decent at defending however I've gotten called for contact countless of times hehe which is probably why im put into the B team (BUT this could also be bc all the A team players are really good but two of them have left so i have a chance! Also i normally am subbed on if A teamers are absent :biggrin:)

Do u play netball? If u do what position do u play?

heyy
I play a lot of netball even though its not really my fave lmao :biggrin: i always play C but sometimes GA even though I cant shoot to save my life
If you have a real interest in it, then go for it. whoever some advice from me would be to look at the gcse syllabus. Are the topics that you're going to do interesting? also there will be lots of essay writing as well as memorising key dates and terms especially because its history. Also you need to analyse things so id say if ur good at English you have a good chance at getting a good grade at history but for me im really bad at English and im amazing at history. who knows at this rate.

What other subjects are you going to do for gcse?

thank you so much this was really helpful <3
I know it sounds weird but I really enjoy essay writing so that's why I think history might be a good fit. I also find it very interesting obviously lol
Other gcse wise, I definitely going to do triple science as its my favourite and I understand it, and also definitely geography. Then maybe RS and history, those are the two I'm less sure about x
Original post by hxhu
Hey!
i was in about the same situation at the start of year 9 (minus the moving up from bottom set, I moved from set 4 out of 5 to 3 out of 5 though!)

For Science im putting notes into flash cards, and just going over everything so I make sure I MOSTLY understand it (not knowing all the ins and outs, just the gist of it) and revising for the topic tests we have coming up so I then know what I’m not to sure on- fyi I’m doing AQA GCSE Science (were not doing the whole triple, double thing until Year 10, but we’re starting the course in year 9- weird I know)

I’m not too great at maths SO I am studying quite hard this year, I’m doing a lot of practice on hegarty maths (it’s like mathswatch or mymaths) and just making sure I understand it all, as I need Maths a level for my dream jobs! I would recommend the CGP books, or just do as much practice as possible!

Hey...
Thanks for the advice. We have a biology test next week and I am dreading it. But I did get the CGP book so hopefully that should help me. We haven’t even chosen our GCSE’S yet, let alone getting predicted grades!!

I think to revise for maths, I just use a lot of worksheets. The videos and worksheets on Corbett maths are really good.

Right! Hello everyone! I'm Tazmeen :biggrin: I'm in year 9 (obvs) and im 14 :hello:

Options I'm gunna choose: Spanish, French, R.S and Computing (subject to change as the subject blocks havent been chosen yet)

Most of my exam boards for my gcse subjects are AQA however maths is Edexcel

Hobbies: Full-time BTS fan (since 2016), Cooking, colouring and the occasional sewing. Netball when the netball season in my school comes around8880f6848e06801617ea79689092e6c5a8fe83bev2_hq.jpg

Favourite subjects rn are art (i dont normally enjoy art but we're doing something fun this term), maths, bio and r.s

Least favourite subject: Music, Drama and sometimes P.E

Considering my reports, I'm meant to be getting all 8s and 9s with maybe a 7 somewhere (thank you, my asian parents)

I wanna be a paediatrician :rofl3:

My feelings for Year 9
I felt/feel quite excited actually! I'm finally choosing my options and next year, I won't have to do subjects I don't like but then again, I'm sad bc i this is the last year i get to do everything :frown:

Interesting facts:I can make seal noises, I'm bilingual and I'm currently learning 4 languages

I'm so excited to meet other Year 9s on here and talk about things :biggrin: loll

Woah 4 languages! That’s awesome...
Let me guess. One of the four languages that you’re learning is Korean?!
I’m bilingual too but it’s an Asian language so I don’t really see how it’s gonna help me with GCSE German or French...
What position are you in netball? I’m GD. Not on the team tho!!!
Lol I’m so happy!
thank you so much this was really helpful <3
I know it sounds weird but I really enjoy essay writing so that's why I think history might be a good fit. I also find it very interesting obviously lol
Other gcse wise, I definitely going to do triple science as its my favourite and I understand it, and also definitely geography. Then maybe RS and history, those are the two I'm less sure about x

I really like essay writing too - but in English about analysing literature and stuff.
I really can’t write an essay in History tho... any tips?
Original post by summerberry19
I really like essay writing too - but in English about analysing literature and stuff.

honestly don't know if I'm the best person to help, but I think that a good thing to go by is to express your contextual knowledge (especially in sources work) and use your English skills for things like analysing in as much detail as possible etc. Also it's kinda obvious but have a very strong structure to your essays. Sorry this wasn't that good but it does vary about different types of essay questions :smile: <3

it's really weird, history is one of my stronger subjects and English is definitely my worst one! xD
honestly don't know if I'm the best person to help, but I think that a good thing to go by is to express your contextual knowledge (especially in sources work) and use your English skills for things like analysing in as much detail as possible etc. Also it's kinda obvious but have a very strong structure to your essays. Sorry this wasn't that good but it does vary about different types of essay questions :smile: <3

Thank you!! I can never manage a strong structure to my history essays - they’re just a bit all over the place...:biggrin:

it's really weird, history is one of my stronger subjects and English is definitely my worst one! xD

Haha vice versa!!
Original post by GCSE_beginner
Supplies are the WORST!
Then again there are some nice ones

Yeah! I had a supply teacher for Frech and our class were so desruptive that our head of year came in!

Original post by GCSE_beginner
Am I doing the right thing by taking notes down if I don't know a topic well and then when I do get it, make flashcards?

Yeah. I write notes from particular subjects on flashcards and basically carry them around everywhere I go and test myself. It really helps for science.

samee its so weird! you need similar skills for both of them yet english is just so much harder for me :frown:
Woah 4 languages! That’s awesome...
Let me guess. One of the four languages that you’re learning is Korean?!
I’m bilingual too but it’s an Asian language so I don’t really see how it’s gonna help me with GCSE German or French...
What position are you in netball? I’m GD. Not on the team tho!!!
Lol I’m so happy!

hehe thanks and yes, one of my languages that i'm currently learning is Korean however i'm taking a small break and saving up for maybe a textbook then seriously start learning although i'm still exposed to the Korean language almost every single day.

What asian language do you speak? Being bilingual can still help you learn German or french, no matter what language u already know. Since you've learnt another language already, your brain already knows what its like to learn another language making it much easier even if there arent any cognates in you new foreign language (or something like that)

I'm also GD but i also play GK
ooohh y'all play netball too? WA my position
Original post by _bella_
ooohh y'all play netball too? WA my position

oh cool :biggrin: love how we're all bonding over netball xD I used to train 3x a week and play matches and it was so tiring, now i dont play as much lol
hey what subjects are you guys thinking about taking for gcse? I'm think history, geography, RS and triple science. Also what do you want to be when you're older? (I really want to be a surgeon :smile:)
hey what subjects are you guys thinking about taking for gcse? I'm think history, geography, RS and triple science. Also what do you want to be when you're older? (I really want to be a surgeon :smile:)

wow ur doing three humanities? thats a lot of essays and content to get your head around hehe :smile:

im *hopefully* doing french, spanish, r.s and computing. i'm being forced to do triple so yh :biggrin:

i wanna be a paediatrician so we're more or less in the same boat yay :h:

Spoiler

I get 5 options lmao and already picked dislcluding science
wow ur doing three humanities? thats a lot of essays and content to get your head around hehe :smile:

im *hopefully* doing french, spanish, r.s and computing. i'm being forced to do triple so yh :biggrin:

i wanna be a paediatrician so we're more or less in the same boat yay :h:

Spoiler

yay that's so cool! Can't believe you're doing two languages, I'm still not entirely sure whether to do a language or not (if I did it would definitely be French) and yeah I know - lot's of essays :biggrin: we have options evening soon so hopefully that will help me decide x
yay that's so cool! Can't believe you're doing two languages, I'm still not entirely sure whether to do a language or not (if I did it would definitely be French) and yeah I know - lot's of essays :biggrin: we have options evening soon so hopefully that will help me decide x

Ofc this might not apply to everyone but options evening just made me even more confused. THEY WILL TRY AND PERSUADE YOU (obvs). then ur gunna be like 'oh no i have no idea of what i want to do anymore' i was like that but u just gotta stick to what u want to do. dont choose bc of ur friends or teachers. i keep having this guilt of betraying teachers lmao but in the end, you'll be at a nice sixth form/ college doing things you love bc you chose want u wanted at gcse. i have to keep reminding myself that bc i keep feeling this guilt of betraying my geography teacher. shes so nice :frown:

but yh beware but good luck!!!

(do a language if you're good at it and have an interest in it :smile:)
Original post by realistpotato
Untitled3567890546.png

that is a peng ting.

Latest