The Student Room Group

French writing 2019

Hey doesn’t anyone who is currently in year 12 right now remember what they had got in there french writing exam
Hey! I did the exam this year and can tell you right now that it’s best if you practice questions instead of hunting for this year’s exam. It will definitely help you for your real GCSEs, since you won’t know what will come up in the real thing!

If you need help with French, feel free to PM me :smile:
I also did my French this year and, as mentioned, I really wouldn't look around for the paper. Your school will almost certainly want to use it as a mock exam so I'd leave it - so you can get a true reflection of your progress on your mocks, rather than doing an exam you've already done.

Instead, you should definitely find practice questions and do those. Make sure to cover as many topics as you can and, if the questions you're doing have mark schemes, I'd use them and do self-assessment. If they don't, I'd see if your teacher will take them and give you feedback - that'll really help you to improve your quality of language. I got a 9 on my Writing exam so, if you want to send me any question answers that you've done, I'd be more than happy to read through them and give you your positive areas and your possible areas of improvement. If you really needed it, I could write you some example questions myself and send them to you.

Regardless, good luck in your exams. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BosslyGaming
I also did my French this year and, as mentioned, I really wouldn't look around for the paper. Your school will almost certainly want to use it as a mock exam so I'd leave it - so you can get a true reflection of your progress on your mocks, rather than doing an exam you've already done.

Instead, you should definitely find practice questions and do those. Make sure to cover as many topics as you can and, if the questions you're doing have mark schemes, I'd use them and do self-assessment. If they don't, I'd see if your teacher will take them and give you feedback - that'll really help you to improve your quality of language. I got a 9 on my Writing exam so, if you want to send me any question answers that you've done, I'd be more than happy to read through them and give you your positive areas and your possible areas of improvement. If you really needed it, I could write you some example questions myself and send them to you.

Hi, I’m really struggling in French at the moment. It’s just hard to focus when there’s many other subjects that we need to focus on aswell as French. Any tips ?
Original post by Melina_x
Hi, I’m really struggling in French at the moment. It’s just hard to focus when there’s many other subjects that we need to focus on aswell as French. Any tips ?

French tips from a year 13 studying French:
1. Learn at least 5 words per day, everyday. I recommend using quizlet for this. As you do it more and more often, it will take less and less time - at the beginning of year 12 it would take me 45 minutes to learn 60 words, now I can do it in 10.

2. Use a French workbook - I did AQA and used the workbook with the revision guide, as it had answers in the back to the same standard of those in the exam. I did a translation into French every single morning in tutor time (form time) and it usually took about 15 mins to do it, mark it, and take note of those things that I needed to ask my teacher, grammar I needed to revise or words I needed to learn.

3. Listen to French music - it'll tune your ears to listening to the languages.Try using lyrics training! Even when you don't understand the majority of the words, it'll make it easier to decipher the GCSE exercises which are much, much slower.

4. Do past papers, but save most of these for the easter holidays.
Reply 5
Original post by redmeercat
French tips from a year 13 studying French:
1. Learn at least 5 words per day, everyday. I recommend using quizlet for this. As you do it more and more often, it will take less and less time - at the beginning of year 12 it would take me 45 minutes to learn 60 words, now I can do it in 10.

2. Use a French workbook - I did AQA and used the workbook with the revision guide, as it had answers in the back to the same standard of those in the exam. I did a translation into French every single morning in tutor time (form time) and it usually took about 15 mins to do it, mark it, and take note of those things that I needed to ask my teacher, grammar I needed to revise or words I needed to learn.

3. Listen to French music - it'll tune your ears to listening to the languages.Try using lyrics training! Even when you don't understand the majority of the words, it'll make it easier to decipher the GCSE exercises which are much, much slower.

4. Do past papers, but save most of these for the easter holidays.

Can you recommend any french music except for stromae?
Reply 6
Original post by Marcoo4

I like their old song titles like (le noyé assassiné, Michel sardous songs ,étoiles des neiges.. and plenty of playlists on spotify) + they would help you more as they use a more correct french then pop or rap songs that will most likely have a mix of french&english and "langue familière".
Original post by Marcoo4

Definitely Angèle if you like pop, Chilla if you like rap.. thought you might find rap a bit harder to understand.
Original post by Marcoo4

It really depends on what you like, but
Zaz
Joe Dassin
Charles Aznavour
French Disney songs
Reply 9
Original post by bosslygaming
i also did my french this year and, as mentioned, i really wouldn't look around for the paper. Your school will almost certainly want to use it as a mock exam so i'd leave it - so you can get a true reflection of your progress on your mocks, rather than doing an exam you've already done.

Instead, you should definitely find practice questions and do those. Make sure to cover as many topics as you can and, if the questions you're doing have mark schemes, i'd use them and do self-assessment. If they don't, i'd see if your teacher will take them and give you feedback - that'll really help you to improve your quality of language. I got a 9 on my writing exam so, if you want to send me any question answers that you've done, i'd be more than happy to read through them and give you your positive areas and your possible areas of improvement. If you really needed it, i could write you some example questions myself and send them to you.

thank youuuuuuuuu :d

Quick Reply

Latest