The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Psychology Bsc - How much biology is in the course?

I've applied to QM to do Psychology but I'm really afraid about the biology aspect of the course - I'm doing biology alevel right now and i'm finding the nervous system unit difficult to understand

Can someone tell me what it's like to study Psychology at QM and is the biology side of it manageable? Is it biology heavy?
Reply 1
Hey, i graduated from psych at QM and the whole reason i wanted to go there was because it was more science based than any other uni. The biology side is content heavy, if you don't generally like biology or don't find it interesting you might find it more difficult. biology is incoporated into most of the modules, some more than others but to be honest, if you're good at memorising and keeping up with the workload (i.e. making notes on the day of the lecture), you'll be fine! There's also quite a bit of stats that you'll be doing too which i personally disliked a lot.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Hello,
I have a few questions if you don't mind answering :smile: (I'm sorry that they're abit dumb)

Did you enjoy the course overall?

When you revise, what sort of resources do you use?

Is it difficult to analyse stats, do lab reports etc - do they teach you how to do that kind of stuff?

In the third year on the QM website, you have to choose 6 topics for the research project - what does that mean?
Is there time to do that many research projects in one year? Do you work in groups?

Are exams essay based?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by WH108
Hello,
I have a few questions if you don't mind answering :smile: (I'm sorry that they're abit dumb)

Did you enjoy the course overall?

When you revise, what sort of resources do you use?

Is it difficult to analyse stats, do lab reports etc - do they teach you how to do that kind of stuff?

In the third year on the QM website, you have to choose 6 topics for the research project - what does that mean?
Is there time to do that many research projects in one year? Do you work in groups?

Are exams essay based?

HI,

Yeah i did enjoy the course. if you have an interest in psych then you'll deffo enjoy it.

When revising, the lecture slides are your best friend because thats all the content made by the actual lecturers. If you can record what they're saying and then incorporate what they say into your notes aswell, that would make sure you have all the info they want you to know. They also provide any extra reading, a week before the actual lecture. You'll also be able to access some if not all lectures online a day after the actual lecture so thats useful.

They teach you everything when it comes to stats so you wont be thrown in the deep end. You'll have to use software called SPSS and theres a book you can get which is good for it. Lab reports were much easier compares to essay in my opinion so thats a positive because there's a specific structure that needs to be followed with some section such as methodology and results being the easiest sections.

IN first and second year you study 8 modules and then in third year you choose 6 modules not research reports. You only have one research report which is worth 2 modules so don't worry.

Almost all exams have an essay component, they could also have short answer questions and multiple choice questions. It differs from module to module.
Reply 4
Did you do Alevel Biology - if so, is it that standard/level or is it alot harder?
Reply 5
Original post by WH108
Did you do Alevel Biology - if so, is it that standard/level or is it alot harder?

I did A-level bio, it did help a lot. Some of the content is like a-level but it can deeper into the subject. I don't think you should be too worried, as long as you manage the workload and memorise the content a good amount of time before the exam, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending