The Student Room Group

What is easier to cook than pizza?

I love pizza, ten minutes in the oven after a full day and it’s done, with little washing up. Apart from microwaveable stuff, is there anything as close to the easiness of pizza?
Reply 1
HI!
There is a lot of foods that are just a bit harder to cook, but I think it's nice to have variety and eat something that feels more like a "real" meal.
Any kind of ragout or stew is basically "chop it, add a bit of water, cover and shove in the oven for like 40 min".
There is also a thing that I call chilli, though I know its more like an abomination of chilli. All you need is grounded beef or a mix of meats, two (if you're feeling fancy) types of canned kidney beans, onion and some garlic. Take out a deep frying pan, or, if you don't have one, a saucepan will do. Add a bit of oil, chop the onion and garlic and fry it a bit. It'll make food a bit more flavorful. Then get the beef in, and fry it till its more brown than red. Then add beans. I prefer to get one can of red beans, and the other - white in tomato sauce from Heinz, so I don't have to use any external tomato paste or sauce. And don't forget to get rid of the watery stuff beans are in, if they're not in the sauce. And, well, it is done. Add tabasco any other spices you like, let it bubble a bit anв that's it. I know, it can sound like a lot of steps, but actually, with some practise it'll take you only 30 minutes to prepare.
What else.. Eggs, sandwiches, salads, mac'n'cheese, oh curry is easy to cook too!
You can find all sorts of things that are already half-cooked for you. And combining them is not so hard as it looks. Plus, you can always cook more, than you need for one dinner and you will have food for several days, saving you time in the future.
Cooking is fun, and with experience, you will do it faster and easier each time. So try new things and have fun.)
(edited 4 years ago)
An omelette
Spaghetti hoops. Open can, grab fork, eat.
fish fingers :drool:
Reply 5
boiled eggs
Reply 6
Loads of oven ready meals and freezer food. Quite a few options on the hob too if you're willing to stand and stir stuff for 10 mins. Stir fry/ curry etc with pre-cut veg and jar sauce. Scrambled egg. Bean chilli. Heating up pre made soup (or even making some soups if you make use of a blender or soup maker).

I find there's a lot of foods that once you've taken the little extra time to work out making them one you can make them quickly and easily in the future.
Toasted sandwiches, beans on toast, pasta, macaroni cheese, burger & chips, jacket potato, rice with yoghurt.
No bake chocolate cake- if you don't mind the raw eggs.
Instant Noodles or anything similar, I find is quicker than pizza slightly. ^-^
Morning smoothies on the way to Uni are my usual breakfast (healthy nerd alert).
Or omelette.
And I use my blender for cream soups (here are some ideas) - as I literally blend everything I can get away with: fish, chicken, veggies, beans it doesn't matter.

upd: OP, really, it's quite easy to cook, especially if you have a microwave (a must have when you're renting!) or a single-serve blender (they're not that expensive).
I went through the ramen noodles + pizza phase as well, but I can't say it was so great (there is too much salt in the noodles which can cause serious problems to a person's health, and I'm still dealing with my blood pressure because of this). It may seem a little boring but it’s pretty easy to think of new recipes with lots of the same low-budget ingredients - just use different spices and marinades!
(edited 4 years ago)
Toast?

Stuff like pasta & soup are fairly easy to cook.
Does no one cook these days? Had an M&S microwave meal once. It was grim. And I see people living on this processed cr@ p.
Original post by ByEeek
Does no one cook these days? Had an M&S microwave meal once. It was grim. And I see people living on this processed cr@ p.

Some M&S microwave meals are delicious though, not to mention the ones you shove in the oven for 30 mins :h:
Original post by harrysbar
Some M&S microwave meals are delicious though, not to mention the ones you shove in the oven for 30 mins :h:

Compared to the home cooked version they don't come close. They are bland mush pumped with preservatives and come only with the texture of baby food.
Original post by ByEeek
Compared to the home cooked version they don't come close. They are bland mush pumped with preservatives and come only with the texture of baby food.

It’s not just any bland mush pumped with preservatives, it’s Marks & Spencer’s mush pumped with preservatives
Original post by harrysbar
It’s not just any bland mush pumped with preservatives, it’s Marks & Spencer’s mush pumped with preservatives

Quite
<a href=
Original post by username2743255
I love pizza, ten minutes in the oven after a full day and it’s done, with little washing up. Apart from microwaveable stuff, is there anything as close to the easiness of pizza?

pasta

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending