The Student Room Group

HKU / CUHK Medicine Non-JUPAS Applicants 2020

Hi guys! Didn't see a thread talking about this, so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. I'm just making this so Medical applicants to HK this year can have a discussion thread.

I'm horribly underprepared and scared AF :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, thanks for creating this, we are in this together!
No problem!

Which unis are you applying to and which courses?

P.S. Are you A-level, IB or Pre-U?
Reply 3
Original post by kwjnefwew
No problem!

Which unis are you applying to and which courses?

P.S. Are you A-level, IB or Pre-U?

Hey, I am only applying to HKU b/c of eligibility reasons, and I am doing undergrad in the US!
Original post by That Seagull
Hi guys! Didn't see a thread talking about this, so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. I'm just making this so Medical applicants to HK this year can have a discussion thread.

I'm horribly underprepared and scared AF :/

Thank you for creating this. I also applied HKU MBBS for 2020fall entry. I applied on Nov.2. Hopefully, I will hear some information for my application from HKU Medicine. We are in this together, too!
Reply 5
Hi guys. I'm applying to both medic and dentistry. I would like to ask a few questions pls.
1) predicted / achieved grades?
2) if you have applied to more than one course, how did you structure your personal statement?

(I have already finished my A levels 4A*)
Thanks!
Original post by Bdszl
Hi guys. I'm applying to both medic and dentistry. I would like to ask a few questions pls.
1) predicted / achieved grades?
2) if you have applied to more than one course, how did you structure your personal statement?

(I have already finished my A levels 4A*)
Thanks!

Sup!

Which unis have you applied to? I've applied medicine in both CUHK and HKU.

1. Predicted 4A*, you should 100% be fine
2. I essentially took my UK statement and expanded it a bit to fit the 6000char limit of HKU, and for CUHK I trimmed out a lot (250 word limit bruh moment)
Reply 7
Sup!

Which unis have you applied to? I've applied medicine in both CUHK and HKU.

1. Predicted 4A*, you should 100% be fine
2. I essentially took my UK statement and expanded it a bit to fit the 6000char limit of HKU, and for CUHK I trimmed out a lot (250 word limit bruh moment)

I only applied to hku. I don't know any cantonese but I do know Mandarin... So I don't think I can enter any medic courses in Hk. Are you fluent in canto?

Wait is the HKU limit 6000 characters? I thought it was 1000 words?

Also, did you apply to any other courses?

Cheers
Original post by Bdszl
I only applied to hku. I don't know any cantonese but I do know Mandarin... So I don't think I can enter any medic courses in Hk. Are you fluent in canto?

Wait is the HKU limit 6000 characters? I thought it was 1000 words?

Also, did you apply to any other courses?

Cheers

Yeah, I'm HK born and educated until year 9.

I can't remember if it was 6k chars or 1k words anymore - but my PS was below both limits.

I also applied to HKU Pharm, which I received an interview offer from.

You're welcome!
Reply 9
Yeah, I'm HK born and educated until year 9.

I can't remember if it was 6k chars or 1k words anymore - but my PS was below both limits.

I also applied to HKU Pharm, which I received an interview offer from.

You're welcome!

Sorry for asking so many questions. How do you structure your personal statement for both medicine and pharmacy? I'm applying to dent med and law... I have no idea cuz these courses are all unrelated and so competitive as well.
Original post by Bdszl
Sorry for asking so many questions. How do you structure your personal statement for both medicine and pharmacy? I'm applying to dent med and law... I have no idea cuz these courses are all unrelated and so competitive as well.

I used the same PS because I may or may not have been too lazy to change anything lol

edit: My PS was structured for Medicine because I was using Pharm as a backup choice just in case I get rejected by all medical schools (which at this point is still a possibility)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
I used the same PS because I may or may not have been too lazy to change anything lol

edit: My PS was structured for Medicine because I was using Pharm as a backup choice just in case I get rejected by all medical schools (which at this point is still a possibility)

Haha I see. Thanks for the info.
Good luck in your application!
Reply 12
Hey good luck on your application y'all! I only know Mandarin as well but do you know how much Cantonese knowledge was expected for hku medic?
Original post by Ringsz
Hey good luck on your application y'all! I only know Mandarin as well but do you know how much Cantonese knowledge was expected for hku medic?

I believe a conversation-level knowledge should be enough. Doesn't need to be very fluent, but obviously if you're fluent it'll give you a higher score in that particular section of the MMI.
Reply 14
I believe a conversation-level knowledge should be enough. Doesn't need to be very fluent, but obviously if you're fluent it'll give you a higher score in that particular section of the MMI.

Thank you, I think there is one section of the MMI that tests your Cantonese skills? Time to brush up my canto for sure...
Reply 15
anyone received interview invitation?
Original post by jimmyli
anyone received interview invitation?

not yet,still waiting.
Reply 17
Original post by sharonzl20
not yet,still waiting.

Given the situation in HK now that every uni is suspending classes til the next term, are we really still expecting to hear from them in Dec-Jan? I doubt.....
Reply 18
Original post by ox852
Given the situation in HK now that every uni is suspending classes til the next term, are we really still expecting to hear from them in Dec-Jan? I doubt.....

According to the new video put forth by hku med on facebook, JUPAS students are expected to be interviewing Dec 23 - Jan 3, so I'd say probably yes!
Reply 19
you are right, just got invite, but a week notice for flying back is harsh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending