The Student Room Group

Should Student Loans be scrapped?

I, much like many other young people, would not have been able to afford to go to university had it not been for Government-backed student loans.

Although I was privately educated, it was only one parent paying and they could barely afford the fees (stupid).

So, under a decade ago (before the fee rises from 2012), I got full university tuition fees, maintenance loan and a small grant (in other words, eligible - contradictory considering I was privately educated a few years beforehand).

I just received a loan statement from the Student Loans Company confirming that I owe about 30 grand. Nearly five years after graduation and I've only paid back about £29.00 - seriously.

If Government-backed student loans were scrapped, many people (myself included) would have either not been able to afford to go to uni or they would have worked for a bit and then gone later.

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

???
No
Original post by _gcx
???

What happened?
Original post by ParanoidStapler
No

Why not?
you got yourself into this mess, it is your fault
Original post by EtonWorldDoppler
I, much like many other young people, would not have been able to afford to go to university had it not been for Government-backed student loans.

Although I was privately educated, it was only one parent paying and they could barely afford the fees (stupid).

So, under a decade ago (before the fee rises from 2012), I got full university tuition fees, maintenance loan and a small grant (in other words, eligible - contradictory considering I was privately educated a few years beforehand).

I just received a loan statement from the Student Loans Company confirming that I owe about 30 grand. Nearly five years after graduation and I've only paid back about £29.00 - seriously.

If Government-backed student loans were scrapped, many people (myself included) would have either not been able to afford to go to uni or they would have worked for a bit and then gone later.

Confusing OP. Do you have a point?
Are you saying they should be scrapped because of your supposed predicament? What is your issue?
Do you understand how students loans work?

I cant see if you are arguing they should be scrapped as then no one would take loans or owe money?
They should be scrapped to get rid of your debt?
It's never going to happen anyway.
Original post by 999tigger
Confusing OP. Do you have a point?
Are you saying they should be scrapped because of your supposed predicament? What is your issue?
Do you understand how students loans work?

I cant see if you are arguing they should be scrapped as then no one would take loans or owe money?
They should be scrapped to get rid of your debt?

Oops, no sorry. As in, in general, they should be scrapped. In general, Government subsidised student financing should be scrapped?
Original post by Gent2324
you got yourself into this mess, it is your fault

Agreed.

Nevertheless, the point still stands - if student loans weren't there, many would not have been able to go to uni...
Oops, no sorry. As in, in general, they should be scrapped. In general, Government subsidised student financing should be scrapped?

Sorry still not getting your point.
Your story isnt stated so at to put the dilemma in context. Are you suggesting they should be scrapped or not? If they are scrapped then how will you fund students?
I've read this like three times and I still don't understand what you mean. Am I an idiot or is this very strangely phrased?
What happened?

Where the hell did "should student loans be scrapped" come from when the rest of your post was positive about loans, lmao.
If they were me and most people I know would not have gone to university. I wonder what impact would that have on the country's economy and research/academia
(edited 4 years ago)
Your post is very confusing.

Are you arguing that all uni students should receive 100% taxpayer funded tuition without incurring any student debt or taking on any loans?
Or that the current system of charging students tuition fees is ok but the current student finance loan system is unfit for purpose and needs to be replaced by something else?
Original post by londonmyst
Your post is very confusing.

Are you arguing that all uni students should receive 100% taxpayer funded tuition without incurring any student debt or taking on any loans?
Or that the current system of charging students tuition fees is ok but the current student finance loan system is unfit for purpose and needs to be replaced by something else?

Managed to confuse me (although that might not take a lot? . Not sure they are English?
Original post by tubphonecase
I've read this like three times and I still don't understand what you mean. Am I an idiot or is this very strangely phrased?

Nope its the way its written.
Managed to confuse me (although that might not take a lot? . Not sure they are English?

No I just think the OP disagrees that they should be scrapped and is trying to start discussion on the topic. But I think they'll struggle immensely to find people who agree.
Original post by _gcx
No I just think the OP disagrees that they should be scrapped and is trying to start discussion on the topic. But I think they'll struggle immensely to find people who agree.

Nope I think the OP is suggesting the direct opposite.
So yes it was confusing because it ranged from unintelligible to ambiguous.
It appears imo they are saying they want all student loans scrapped, although its not clear if the OP understands how they work, why they want to scrap them and the consequences of doing so.
Nope I think the OP is suggesting the direct opposite.
So yes it was confusing because it ranged from unintelligible to ambiguous.
It appears imo they are saying they want all student loans scrapped, although its not clear if the OP understands how they work, why they want to scrap them and the consequences of doing so.

Well obviously I understand how student loans work. I got all this dosh from the Student Loans Company for three years of uni under a decade ago. Tuition fees paid (automatically to the uni) in full by SLC (back when it was SFE) and then the maintenance grant (and maintenance loans as well I think I remember) was income-based (based on income of parents).

In the USA, it's structured differently and not like here in the UK.

What I was saying is that if SLC (SFE back then) was not on hand to cover tuition fees and maintenance etc, I would have thought thrice, four times even, about going to uni. Most folks would either not have gone or would have worked for a bit and then saved up a bit of cash and then gone later...
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending