The Student Room Group

I had my first nursing interview today and it went awful :(

I just feel really upset and disappointed with myself, I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard. It wasn't my first choice uni, but it has really discouraged me because that was my first interview and i have 4 more to go

Scroll to see replies

Don’t let one bad interview get you down! It doesn’t matter if today didn’t click well. Have faith in yourself that you’re amazing. The more positive you are, the more likely they are to consider you for a job. Stay happy and if the other 4 interviews don’t go well too then have a chat to friends/ family in the nursing industry about what you could do to improve your interview style. hope this helps x
Original post by milliewolf
I just feel really upset and disappointed with myself, I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard. It wasn't my first choice uni, but it has really discouraged me because that was my first interview and i have 4 more to go

So tell me where it went wrong and maybe I can give you some pointers - I know you have to be careful about what you post
Reply 3
Original post by squeakysquirrel
So tell me where it went wrong and maybe I can give you some pointers - I know you have to be careful about what you post

I think i just let my nerves get the better off me. I feel like i either didn't answer the questions properly and in enough detail or other times i just waffled on and just kept repeating myself. And when the interviewer asked me to say more, my mind would just go completely blank and i would end up saying things that just weren't that relevant or didn't actually answer the question. It also ended so quickly because i was so nervous, i think she could tell.
Reply 4
Original post by josiejole
Don’t let one bad interview get you down! It doesn’t matter if today didn’t click well. Have faith in yourself that you’re amazing. The more positive you are, the more likely they are to consider you for a job. Stay happy and if the other 4 interviews don’t go well too then have a chat to friends/ family in the nursing industry about what you could do to improve your interview style. hope this helps x

Thank you, i appreciate it because i haven't really spoken to anyone about it, i just keep telling people it was fine xx
2 years ago i had a bad interwview for west mid uni anabolic I thought they would reject me but they’ve gave me an offer

Dont over think it and stay positive for the rest
I have my first interview next week and I already feel so nervous ugh, I always let my nerves get the better of me :frown: at least you have a better idea for the next interviews that’s the way you have to look at it
Reply 7
Original post by Blackstarr
2 years ago i had a bad interwview for west mid uni anabolic I thought they would reject me but they’ve gave me an offer

Dont over think it and stay positive for the rest

Thank you x
Reply 8
Original post by madison1996
I have my first interview next week and I already feel so nervous ugh, I always let my nerves get the better of me :frown: at least you have a better idea for the next interviews that’s the way you have to look at it

Yeah hopefully the rest go better. And good luck with your interview!! where is it?
Yeah hopefully the rest go better. And good luck with your interview!! where is it?

It's at De Montfort which is my first choice :frown:
@milliewolf @josiejole @madison1996

I find it odd that at a time where the NHS is suffering from staff shortages the universities who would subsequently supply the manpower to fill up the vacancies are playing hardball during the uni interview stage. and the Government has the cheek to say that because of the shortages they will have to bring in foreign nurses from India and Philippines. Surely the Government should align their goals during their 5 years in power by understanding the root of the problem, working with the universities and ensuring that there isn't a need to rely on foreign manpower when in reality there should be an abundance of homegrown talent?

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/04/09/asia-pacific/social-issues-asia-pacific/brexodus-gap-leaves-u-k-short-nurses-filipino-candidates-struggle-ielts-english-test/#.XewEwpMzbb0
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/28/nhs-hire-5000-nurses-india-phillipines/
Original post by Audrey18

I find it odd that at a time where the NHS is suffering from staff shortages the universities who would subsequently supply the manpower to fill up the vacancies are playing hardball during the uni interview stage. and the Government has the cheek to say that because of the shortages they will have to bring in foreign nurses from India and Philippines. Surely the Government should align their goals during their 5 years in power by understanding the root of the problem, working with the universities and ensuring that there isn't a need to rely on foreign manpower when in reality there should be an abundance of homegrown talent?

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/04/09/asia-pacific/social-issues-asia-pacific/brexodus-gap-leaves-u-k-short-nurses-filipino-candidates-struggle-ielts-english-test/#.XewEwpMzbb0
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/28/nhs-hire-5000-nurses-india-phillipines/

The whole nursing thing is a huge mess anyway. It has been debated ad nauseum. It is an unpopular opinion but you do not need to have a degree to be a nurse. You need to be kind and able to think on your feet. A BSc does not equip you for it in many cases. We are losing vast numbers of potential good nurses because they lack A levels or other qualifications.

As a sister in the NHS I am afraid that the calibre of student we get is pretty low. They aren't enquiring, they stand around looking formless. Constantly on their phones.

The overseas nurses have a much better work ethic
try not to worry too much don't let one bad interview define the rest and those negatives draw on them for next time and turn them into positives so you can feel more prepared
Original post by Scotlassy83
try not to worry too much don't let one bad interview define the rest and those negatives draw on them for next time and turn them into positives so you can feel more prepared

Thank you x
Original post by squeakysquirrel
The whole nursing thing is a huge mess anyway. It has been debated ad nauseum. It is an unpopular opinion but you do not need to have a degree to be a nurse. You need to be kind and able to think on your feet. A BSc does not equip you for it in many cases. We are losing vast numbers of potential good nurses because they lack A levels or other qualifications.

As a sister in the NHS I am afraid that the calibre of student we get is pretty low. They aren't enquiring, they stand around looking formless. Constantly on their phones.

The overseas nurses have a much better work ethic

the feedback i received was that scottish, Irish and welsh nurses are much more involved than the English nurses. any reason why this is the case or is it just poppycock?
the feedback i received was that scottish, Irish and welsh nurses are much more involved than the English nurses. any reason why this is the case or is it just poppycock?

I don't think that would be the interviewers .... or would it. If that is what they said then I think you have grounds for a legal case for race discrimination

Don't be disappointed or upset over the interview you attended if you feel you did terrible at it.
You must had been to nervous when answering the question you were asked and you couldn't reply back to them, you won't be the only person who did this at a interview ok,
You take this one as a lesson to take forward into your other interviews you still got to attend ok.
Learn from the mistakes you did in the first one and try to put it right for the others, I was similar to you when I did my first interview for adult nursing and I knew I wasn't getting offered a place because I couldn't answer a question like yourself, I took this into account for the others I did and I unfortunately didn't get anything because the places was all full at all my local universities for adult nursing but I was offered a place on the midwifing degree course but that was in another major city which I took as it was my second choice anyway and I did pass it earlier this year and happily working on the maternity ward where I was studying about.

I don't envy anyone trying to get a place on those courses because you must be positive about it, attending the interview and not being nervous is hard to do but can be done, a thing I was told if you feel nervous try and take deep breathes in and out slowly prior to going into the interview as that can help calm you down.
Good luck to everyone who is attending those up coming interviews for nursing and midwifing degree courses and hope yous are all successful to, unfortunately there will be some disappointing people but give it your best shout ok. xx
Original post by Tracey1995
Don't be disappointed or upset over the interview you attended if you feel you did terrible at it.
You must had been to nervous when answering the question you were asked and you couldn't reply back to them, you won't be the only person who did this at a interview ok,
You take this one as a lesson to take forward into your other interviews you still got to attend ok.
Learn from the mistakes you did in the first one and try to put it right for the others, I was similar to you when I did my first interview for adult nursing and I knew I wasn't getting offered a place because I couldn't answer a question like yourself, I took this into account for the others I did and I unfortunately didn't get anything because the places was all full at all my local universities for adult nursing but I was offered a place on the midwifing degree course but that was in another major city which I took as it was my second choice anyway and I did pass it earlier this year and happily working on the maternity ward where I was studying about.

I don't envy anyone trying to get a place on those courses because you must be positive about it, attending the interview and not being nervous is hard to do but can be done, a thing I was told if you feel nervous try and take deep breathes in and out slowly prior to going into the interview as that can help calm you down.
Good luck to everyone who is attending those up coming interviews for nursing and midwifing degree courses and hope yous are all successful to, unfortunately there will be some disappointing people but give it your best shout ok. xx

Thank you so much xx Fingers crossed that my other interviews will be better :smile:
Thank you so much xx Fingers crossed that my other interviews will be better :smile:

You are welcome ok. You will be fine okay
I will keep mines crossed for you and everyone else who's going to attend interviews for both nursing and midwifing xx

Exactly the problems in the NHS.
The government don't help by allowing so many foreign people in to do the jobs which our own girls & boys should be getting the chance to do.
I find it ridiculous that our own are getting rejected for places at universities etc dispite the whole of UK having shortages of nursing staff throughout every level.

If the people don't meet the required grades then why not increase the training to a further year or so and this would allow those with the below grades to study them at university while still training to be nurses and midwifes etc and you would hopefully get more intake on the courses. Only a suggestion that the government could perhaps look in doing.

How is the Tory's going to keep there promise of 50000 nurses by 2024 when they only training approx xxxxxxx numbers every year and its less for midwifing because of how they train us. So basically they won't fulfill this target as usual another promise broken I would say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending