The Student Room Group

Isolated at uni in second year

I’m in second year uni and I’m completely isolated I don’t even have one friend here. I had expectations coming here that this would be the best time of my life but so far it’s been the worst I’m very lonely because of this and really want friends and a girlfriend. I really wish I could go back in time to the start of first year and do things differently. When I see friends and couples especially at uni I feel like crying. How do I get a girlfriend and a group of friends this late into uni?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in second year uni and I’m completely isolated I don’t even have one friend here. I had expectations coming here that this would be the best time of my life but so far it’s been the worst I’m very lonely because of this and really want friends and a girlfriend. I really wish I could go back in time to the start of first year and do things differently. When I see friends and couples especially at uni I feel like crying. How do I get a girlfriend and a group of friends this late into uni?

@commentsection
I had this same issue when going into uni. First year or second year just go for it and introduce yourselves to people.

Sitting in lecture waiting for the class to start? Introduce yourself to the people next to you! Even introducing yourself to one person can help as they’ll have friends too that they may introduce to you

Just go for it and good luck!
im in my second year as well. I made two friendly acquaintances last year, we would sit together in lectures and say hi but that was basically it. This year i decided to join a society, i did it five weeks into the semester, but i did it, and im so glad i did. I joined the musical theatre society and everyone was so friendly, i just fit right in. Just having those 3/4 hours a week to do something i find fun has really helped me a lot. Its advice you've probably already heard before, but join a society! theres probably lots of sport societies that you can join, for all levels/abilites, or join an different one, just look on your student union page. Its not to late to turn things around, you wont regret it:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by nintysixthousand
im in my second year as well. I made two friendly acquaintances last year, we would sit together in lectures and say hi but that was basically it. This year i decided to join a society, i did it five weeks into the semester, but i did it, and im so glad i did. I joined the musical theatre society and everyone was so friendly, i just fit right in. Just having those 3/4 hours a week to do something i find fun has really helped me a lot. Its advice you've probably already heard before, but join a society! theres probably lots of sport societies that you can join, for all levels/abilites, or join an different one, just look on your student union page. Its not to late to turn things around, you wont regret it:smile:

Will it be weird joining this late into the year? I mean it’s nearly January
Original post by Anonymous

Heyy, i feel the same, you just want someone to chat to and chill with and its kinda sad to think about. I say try joining a society its never too late cus there's always new faces coming in and out. It will also allow you to meet people in other courses who you may have more similarities with and also dont feel down there's plenty of people that are in the same situation as you and just arent vocal about it. :smile:
Reply 7
What about joining some clubs? Are you any good at sports or interested in theatre or anything. Check out what your uni has 😉

Quick Reply

Latest