The Student Room Group

What does A-Level Psychology involve?

Poll

What does A-Level Psychology mostly involve?

Hello, I'm currently applying for colleges and am interested in studying A-level Psychology. I was just wanted to know a bit more about the course.
How much maths is involved?
What level is the maths that you do compared to GCSE (grade 1-9)?
Do you just read textbooks or actual books as well?
How long do you get to write essays?
Roughly how long are the essays that you have to write?
Thanks so much any help is much appreciated xx
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi!
I'm not sure which exam board you'll be doing so I'll answer your questions in the context of AQA Psychology.
1) The only maths involved is basic maths such as calculating range, mean, percentages, etc. I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the maths part.
2) Textbooks are enough, but I find it useful to use 2 different textbooks when studying as evaluation in some books aren't very thorough.
3) It depends on how much time you take in the exam but you should try to limit your essay writing time to about 10-12 minutes so you have time to answer all questions on a paper. (5 minutes should go into planning and the rest into actually writing it)
4) Again, it depends, but this time on the person as in if you've got large handwriting or small handwriting, etc. Personally, I find that I typically write 1.5 pages, maximum 2
Original post by ThePsychKid
Hi!
I'm not sure which exam board you'll be doing so I'll answer your questions in the context of AQA Psychology.
1) The only maths involved is basic maths such as calculating range, mean, percentages, etc. I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the maths part.
2) Textbooks are enough, but I find it useful to use 2 different textbooks when studying as evaluation in some books aren't very thorough.
3) It depends on how much time you take in the exam but you should try to limit your essay writing time to about 10-12 minutes so you have time to answer all questions on a paper. (5 minutes should go into planning and the rest into actually writing it)
4) Again, it depends, but this time on the person as in if you've got large handwriting or small handwriting, etc. Personally, I find that I typically write 1.5 pages, maximum 2

Thanks that’s really helpful, I was worried that the maths would be too hard but by what you’ve said I’m sure I’ll manage x
Original post by user56781234
Thanks that’s really helpful, I was worried that the maths would be too hard but by what you’ve said I’m sure I’ll manage x

Aw no problem! Yeah, maths isn't hard at all don't worry haha, you'll be fine <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending