The Student Room Group

For A level biology, in order to get an A, should I have to memorise the textbook?

To get a good mark in an a level biology exam, do I have to memorise everything in the textbook (especially the bullet points). I'm asking this because im worried that the textbook will go far too in depth and there may be some stuff that I dont need to know (some bullet points may be for my understanding). I tried to use the spec, but in my opinion it is very vauge. after i memorise a topic ill do pat paper questions. I'm just not sure if i should skip some parts of the textook out.
Reply 1
Original post by Azimbrook1
To get a good mark in an a level biology exam, do I have to memorise everything in the textbook (especially the bullet points). I'm asking this because im worried that the textbook will go far too in depth and there may be some stuff that I dont need to know (some bullet points may be for my understanding). I tried to use the spec, but in my opinion it is very vauge. after i memorise a topic ill do pat paper questions. I'm just not sure if i should skip some parts of the textook out.

Did that for AS and didn’t work well. Memorising the book will probably get you a C or a possibly a B but not anything higher. To access the A and A* you need to do past papers and you should spend the bulk of your time on those after you memorised everything
Reply 2
Original post by Elzon
Did that for AS and didn’t work well. Memorising the book will probably get you a C or a possibly a B but not anything higher. To access the A and A* you need to do past papers and you should spend the bulk of your time on those after you memorised everything

When you say 'everything', do you mean every single point in the textbook? or just the key points (from the spec)
Reply 3
The most important thing is that you understand what you read and can apply it. Learning facts will not get you that far. You need to practice questions and use the knowledge.
Dunno about Biology but for A Level Computer Science I literally memorised the ****ing textbook and only got out with a C. So yeah, as above, make sure you actually understand the **** lmaooo
Reply 5
I am doing my A level biology and I only ever make notes using the revision guide and my class notes because the text book goes into WAY too much detail - the people above are right, you could learn everything word for word but if you can't apply it you can't get very high. Learn the content using revision guides instead of textbooks and then sit and do papers and look through the markscheme! Seems to be working well for me:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest