The Student Room Group

Should I take 5 A levels??

I’m in year 11 and I’m definitely planning to take maths, biology, chemistry and physics next year but I was thinking of also taking French as a fifth A level.

I know French seems like an odd one to add onto the end of those but I love the idea of being multilingual and I think languages come quite naturally to me. I get grade 9s in French without doing any real revision.

I’m predicted grade 8 or 9 in all my subjects and grade 9 in the 5 I want to do at A level so would it be manageable to take 5 A levels as well as having a job/social life?
If you want a job doing 5 A-levels then you will not get any sleep and your grades will slip. if you are doing 5 A-levels you will have to be constantly working on each subject or you wont perform your best. so maybe a tiny social life but not a job unless you want to work 3 hours a week and definitely not a job and social life together!!!!
Reply 2
Try it.....you can always drop the subject later down the line (up until Christmas or earlier)....I recommend doing four but start with 5 and see how you go? But I think you won’t be able to have a social life/job if doing four......
No, because A-levels are not really comparable to GCSE's in terms of difficulty. Especially the A-levels you have chosen aren't easy. I definitely wouldn't do five A-levels because there is no significant point, your university offers will only be based on three A-levels anyway. A*A*A* will look better than AAAAB. I would suggest just choose three and stick to them or possibly four if you really want to challenge yourself.
Reply 4
I personally did four A-Levels and got along just fine.....but I did german only twice a week so there is that
Original post by tomk097
I personally did four A-Levels and got along just fine.....but I did german only twice a week so there is that

Four is probably manageable, but we're talking about 5 here.
What is your school's policy? The norm in state schools is to take 3, possibly 4. Some do 4, but five only if one is taking Maths and Further Maths as two of them, as they can be timetabled in the same 'slot'. In a lot of sixth forms, that rule would be applied to the 4th subject. So that is a major consideration, apart from the personal workload.
Original post by Hannah.Banana.
I’m in year 11 and I’m definitely planning to take maths, biology, chemistry and physics next year but I was thinking of also taking French as a fifth A level.

I know French seems like an odd one to add onto the end of those but I love the idea of being multilingual and I think languages come quite naturally to me. I get grade 9s in French without doing any real revision.

I’m predicted grade 8 or 9 in all my subjects and grade 9 in the 5 I want to do at A level so would it be manageable to take 5 A levels as well as having a job/social life?

I wouldnt suggest taking French. You can always learn it in your spare time without taking it as an alevel. Some universities even allow you to do a module in it, picking up from GCSE. It doesnt matter how smart you are 5 is too much. Even 4 is too much for some people but I'm sure you can do it!

Na - doing 5 A levels is pointless and a waste of time. If you want to go to Uni they generally only look at 3 and employers generally prefer work experience. You'll just be giving yourself an unnecessarily high workload. You won't be able to work and have a social life outside of the subject. If you're applying to uni you will need to talk about stuff outside of academia in your personal statement. Remember A level is a large step up from GCSE so even if you think you're hot stuff now, you will struggle. Take care of yourself and plan to relax because if you don't you'll just burn out.
Reply 9
If you are already fluent with the language and will be taught further and also have a use for it, sure. If not, then itll just be hell. It seriously wont help you when it comes to university application, as they only care if you meet the bare minimum and have an overall good profile. Theres not any advantage at all in doing 5 A-levels. Those that do it, do it for themselves only.

i'm in year 13 but at the start of year 12 i was considering doing 5 a-levels because i loved doing gcses and i loved all my subjects so i was super indecisive about which subjects to study etc but now being in year 13 and studying for my mocks in ... 2 days lol.. i will say that even doing 4 a-levels will be hellish ESPECIALLY with your choice of subjects- biology takes up SO much time because there's SO MUCH content (on top of chemistry, maths and physics)
you might feel like you can cope with 11 subjects at GCSE, just like i did, but trust me taking 5 a-levels is gonna be hell for you. i think the step up from year 12 to year 13 is 1000x worse than from gcse to year 12 so i would be thinking ahead if i were u. i would say try 4 but i would not recommend 5
(edited 4 years ago)

First of all, i wish u luck for sixth form!
Personally, if you would like to choose French just because of the idea of being multilingual, i would not choose it. maths and the 3 sciences are already hard as they are, and i do not think i would want another weight of an entirely different subject on my shoulders. There are local courses, online courses and language apps where you can remind yourself of all the French you know and even develop it further, as well as learning other languages if you wish.
I would talk about it with a teacher as well, their experience coming in handy for this kind of question!

I think you're underestimating the step up between GCSE and A level for MFL such as French. They're difficult, time consuming and certainly not something to be seen as an 'add on' A level.

Four A levels are unnecessary. Five is just silly. If you insist on doing four, I'd recommend you concentrate on them rather than adding in a fifth and doing badly on all of them.
Reply 13
French à level is no push over, languages have the highest grade boundaries as native people do the exams too. Stick with the sciences and maths.
Reply 14
Short answer, no. Long answer, noooooooooooope.

No - do not do 5 A levels. Some selective schools only allow 3 [unless the 4th is F Maths] and there are good reasons for this!
Generally (particularly after AS has been made redundant) it's advisable to do 3, though some still take 4 if they also do FM. This is generally the only situation in which 4 is recommended over 3. You can see why doing 5 is ill-advised; you're just going to be adding to your already high workload. I don't do French anymore but languages at A level are notoriously difficult (even for natives). Presumably you don't need French for whatever you want to go on to do so I recommend not picking it. As others have pointed out, universities only expect 3 nowadays, and you're better off doing well in these ones as opposed to spreading yourself too thin with 5 A levels!

Another option is to self-study French in your own time. That why you can still learn the language and become multilingual but also prioritise your studies most when you need to (particularly during exam time). You could also drop 1 (or even 2) subjects later on in Year 12 or the at the beginning of Year 13 but it's probably easier to start as you mean to continue because I highly doubt you would even be able to take them all up to A2 (unless you self-studied). Best of luck though, hope your GCSEs go well for you.
Original post by angelinahx
Four is probably manageable, but we're talking about 5 here.

I know....I commented before which is above....don’t do 5....probably more harm then help later down the line
Don't. First thing is that universities offer places based on your top three A Levels. A*A*A* > AAAAA

My dude no! that is really hard plus the ones you are thinking of choosing are really hard it would be really hard and you would have an insane amount of work to do and like no social life i mean you could try it and drop some if they're to hard just be careful kay? don't put too much on yourself or else it wont end well xx

Quick Reply

Latest