The Student Room Group

Person cooks/eats and blogs about it

Indeedy.
Due to unexpectedly high, unprecedented numbers of requests (two (2) 3(!!!!!) to be precise) I have decided to satiate this most irrational of curiosities and make a blog wot where I talk about food. Specifically, what I eat and/or cook.

I've also realised that if I keep track of this it'll probably be quite useful for budgeting because at the moment I only have rough guesses as to how much I spend.

@entertainmyfaith @I AM GROOT 1 you did this
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
Indeedy.
Due to unexpectedly high, unprecedented numbers of requests (two (2) to be precise) I have decided to satiate this most irrational of curiosities and make a blog wot where I talk about food. Specifically, what I eat and/or cook.

I've also realised that if I keep track of this it'll probably be quite useful for budgeting because at the moment I only have rough guesses as to how much I spend.

Make that three requests. I'll be interested in this :smile:
Original post by Sinnoh
Indeedy.
Due to unexpectedly high, unprecedented numbers of requests (two (2) to be precise) I have decided to satiate this most irrational of curiosities and make a blog wot where I talk about food. Specifically, what I eat and/or cook.

:colone: Finally

Excited for this :woo:
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Make that three requests. I'll be interested in this :smile:

Original post by I AM GROOT 1

:colone: Finally

Excited for this :woo:

Noice. Well I'm writing one up now. I won't bother with tags or anything
Original post by Sinnoh
Noice. Well I'm writing one up now. I won't bother with tags or anything

Look forward to reading it :tongue: I'll be watching :ninja:
Reply 5
Right so here's what's been tumbling down my digestive tract this week.

Oh yeah and for breakfast pretty much every day I have porridge with banana and cinnamon powder. The most expensive part is the banana. 1kg of porridge from Sainsbury's local is £1.20, the bananas are 25p each, and idk about the cinammon. Oh and I use whole milk which I actually get through quite quickly, but milk did get cheaper a couple years ago so it's probably less than 10p worth of milk each time.

Monday lunch - I was at my mum's. Some pasta with pesto and cheese. Was alright.
Cannot remember what I had for dinner.

Tuesday lunch - chilli crab noodles from the South Kensington farmer's market for £6:

mandatory photo

Bloody delicious. Better than their seafood paella I reckon. Got cold pretty quickly though because I was eating it outside.

dinner - this thing. I guess you could call it a vegetable curry or something? Just fried together onion, yellow pepper, garlic, sweet potato that I blanched for a bit, then added a can of tomato and some spice. Sounds exciting but it's actually kind of bland.

mandatory photo

Wednesday lunch - went to Tesco, bought an unnecessarily expensive pack of 6 sausages because I can never get through 8 in time and also because I've got money left to burn. Fried them and heated up some sauerkraut. Tastes nice, very easy to cook but sauerkraut really isn't filling enough. Even though I ate after 3 I was hungry at 6.

Dinner - my halls are very near to my dad's, so when I left he gave me a bunch of tupperware boxes of homemade frozen bolognese sauce. For the past like 8 weeks I've been having one every week with spaghetti. So that is what I had.
No picture but trust me it's a ****ing good bolognese. Am yet to try a better one.

Thursday lunch - pad thai noodles from Fusion for £4.50. I'm getting good at using chopsticks.
Thursday dinner - I had some leftover rice from Tuesday in the fridge so I made egg-fried rice out of it. Ingredients were 1 orange pepper, a clove of garlic, the remaining 1/3 of a can of kidney beans from Tuesday, plus some dried ceps that my mum had picked when she was in France that I rehydrated (saved the water - it'll be a good stock for a risotto)
Probably could have cooked a larger quantity. Saved half of it for today

Friday lunch - katsu curry from kimiko for £5.95. Oh and my bananas that I bought yesterday were still pretty green so I just had an 80p pain au chocolat for breakfast.
dinner - it'll be the leftover egg fried rice. And if I'm hungry after, some toast.

Total explicitly purchased on food - £17.25. Which is a bit better than I was doing on the first couple weeks of uni, going to Fusion pretty much every day.
(edited 4 years ago)
:coma: I'm hungry now :redface:
Thursday's dinner was very frugal and inventive. Dried ceps and morels are indispensable in the kitchen for pepping things up.
Reply 8
:yum:
yayy you finally created a food blog :awesome:
never had ceps, they sound interesting :beard:
the food you get from the farmers market always looks so good :drool:
Ooh this sounds fun, I'll deffo follow. Those chilli noodles look lush. :tongue:
Reply 11
Okey dokey, here's Saturday

Breakfast was the usual
Lunch I had pretty late, I did a little shop then made mashed potatoes which I had with sauerkraut and two sausages. Took quite a while, I finished eating at half 3-ish.
Cooked a chicken curry for dinner. Ingredients - 1 brown onion, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, turmeric, hot madras curry powder, chilli powder, a few mustard seeds, and I threw in the rest of my dried ceps while the sauce was simmering. And chicken. The flavours were already quite overpowering so I couldn't actually taste the ceps but it was still absolutely ****ing delicious. It probably made two large servings. I've got some leftover rice in the fridge now so expect some more egg-fried rice. It was pretty damn spicy so I let it down with some yoghurt and a bit of water just so it wasn't too dense.

Spoiler

My only reservation is that the chicken was quite tough - probably because I put it straight in a hot pan from cold.
Original post by Sinnoh
Okey dokey, here's Saturday

Breakfast was the usual
Lunch I had pretty late, I did a little shop then made mashed potatoes which I had with sauerkraut and two sausages. Took quite a while, I finished eating at half 3-ish.
Cooked a chicken curry for dinner. Ingredients - 1 brown onion, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, turmeric, hot madras curry powder, chilli powder, a few mustard seeds, and I threw in the rest of my dried ceps while the sauce was simmering. And chicken. The flavours were already quite overpowering so I couldn't actually taste the ceps but it was still absolutely ****ing delicious. It probably made two large servings. I've got some leftover rice in the fridge now so expect some more egg-fried rice. It was pretty damn spicy so I let it down with some yoghurt and a bit of water just so it wasn't too dense.

Spoiler

My only reservation is that the chicken was quite tough - probably because I put it straight in a hot pan from cold.

That looks scrumptious :awesome:
Subbing :smile: :jumphug:
Reply 14
Sunday/Monday

Sunday - had a pretty hefty pub lunch with my dad and brothers. Minestrone soup for starters, roast pork belly for main. The crackling was :tong: bloody good.
Wasn't hungry for dinner after that though I had a few snacks

Monday - lunch: the 'Special Chicken Curry' with rice for £4.50. Quite nice.
dinner: haven't had it yet but uhhhh... I think I'll just defrost the leftover curry and heat up the leftover rice. Can't be bothered to cook anything substantial or do a shop, feeling a bit ill.

Original post by I AM GROOT 1
That looks scrumptious :awesome:

Original post by Chronoscope
Subbing :smile: :jumphug:

Cheers :smile:
Reply 15
Bit behind on this one.

Tuesday lunch - farmer's market, natürlich. Had a pork stroganoff with rice which is very very nice when you've got a cold and the weather's miserable. Cost £7 I think.
dinner - ill, couldn't be bothered to cook anything significant plus it's my last week so I decided to defrost the things I had left. So I had that sweet potato stew sauce curry thing with spaghetti. Quite nice. Probably suits pasta better than rice.

Wednesday lunch - had to finish my sausages so I fried a couple of them with a fried egg on toast. Cholesterol yum
dinner - defrosted the last of the things my dad had given me at the start of term - lamb neck curry which I had with rice. ****ing delicious.

Thursday lunch - there was some sauce with shreds of lamb and potato leftover plus some rice so I had that for lunch at uni.
dinner - I went back to my home constituency to vote (got a choice between two safe labour constituencies!) and my dad asked if I wanted dinner while I was there. So I said yes and had dinner while I was there.

Friday lunch - kicked the term off with a chicken katsu curry from Kimiko for £5.95. The plan was initially to go to Pizza Express with friends but schedules didn't work out and the vouchers were expired.
dinner - well we'll find out. But I'll be having it at my dad's.

Total explicitly spent on food: £17.45 excluding the occasional café snacc
Original post by Sinnoh
Bit behind on this one.

Tuesday lunch - farmer's market, natürlich. Had a pork stroganoff with rice which is very very nice when you've got a cold and the weather's miserable. Cost £7 I think.
dinner - ill, couldn't be bothered to cook anything significant plus it's my last week so I decided to defrost the things I had left. So I had that sweet potato stew sauce curry thing with spaghetti. Quite nice. Probably suits pasta better than rice.

Wednesday lunch - had to finish my sausages so I fried a couple of them with a fried egg on toast. Cholesterol yum
dinner - defrosted the last of the things my dad had given me at the start of term - lamb neck curry which I had with rice. ****ing delicious.

Thursday lunch - there was some sauce with shreds of lamb and potato leftover plus some rice so I had that for lunch at uni.
dinner - I went back to my home constituency to vote (got a choice between two safe labour constituencies!) and my dad asked if I wanted dinner while I was there. So I said yes and had dinner while I was there.

Friday lunch - kicked the term off with a chicken katsu curry from Kimiko for £5.95. The plan was initially to go to Pizza Express with friends but schedules didn't work out and the vouchers were expired.
dinner - well we'll find out. But I'll be having it at my dad's.

Total explicitly spent on food: £17.45 excluding the occasional café snacc

There's plenty of curry here. Do you particularly like it?
Reply 17
Original post by Reality Check
There's plenty of curry here. Do you particularly like it?

Yeah plus it's easy to cook and store, and to reheat too. Although I haven't actually cooked anything new this week.
Also both my parents just seem to really like making curries. Even if they're French and Irish ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
not sure if i've tried katsu curry yet, sounds very appealing though.
lamb curry :drool:
Reply 19
uhhh yeah I'm bringing it back

Okay so I'll start from last Monday (the 6th)
Lunch - I had a very very cursed combination of chinese chicken noodles with thai green curry after my exam. Do not do that. It is just soggy.
Dinner - went and made a kind of chicken tikka masala. Oh yeah and I've switched from white rice to brown rice because with the volumes I was eating I should at least be giving myself some vitamin B

Tuesday
lunch: chilli crab noodles from the farmer's market yet again. they're good but not amazing, also it's cold outside so they don't stay hot for long at all.
dinner: well I was out with friends at a Wetherspoons so it's as healthy as you can expect... beef burger with cheddar and bacon :biggrin:

Wednesday
woke up way late so I just had late breakfast + late lunch. my late lunch was the best egg-fried rice I have yet made, with red peppers, a chilli that wasn't spicy at all, some king prawns, some baby sweetcorn and some peas (yeah the prawns make it quite expensive)

the blurry pic

Thursday
lunch: leftover egg-fried rice
dinner:leftover curry from monday that I'd frozen. It freezes quite well tbh

Friday
lunch: katsu curry with a bottle of cold oolong tea. Now I'm craving that tea again
dinner: Cracked open a frozen bolognese sauce my dad had given me and had spag bol. Can't go wrong really

Saturday
lunch: was out with friends for lunch and we'd gone to Chiquito's. I thought chicken and pulled pork with cheese in a burger would never work but I was wrong. It was good
dinner: had it at my dad's, it was that lamb neck curry

Sunday
lunch: initially was just going to cook pasta + pesto but then I thought that's a bit malnutrition-y so I opened a carton of tomato soup that was on sale at Asda and had that as well. It's actually really nice but I'd only buy it if it were reduced.
dinner: had it at my mum's. My brother and his girlfriend were there and cooked this beautiful chicken breast curry/stew with rice. God damn that was good.

Total explicitly spent on lunches: £17.65

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending