The Student Room Group

Work and exams!!!!!

I'm in year 13 and have my mocks soon, basically I applied for a job didn't think i'd get it but turns out I did! It's a Christmas job, so i'll be working during Christmas when I could be studying for my exams. I'm really confused as to whether I should take the job or not?!!!!!
Original post by An02
I'm in year 13 and have my mocks soon, basically I applied for a job didn't think i'd get it but turns out I did! It's a Christmas job, so i'll be working during Christmas when I could be studying for my exams. I'm really confused as to whether I should take the job or not?!!!!!

How long are your shifts? Can you study before and after work?
I’d say do it, I work about 20 hours a week on top of school and have no issue at all making time to study, and I’m not certain what year 13 is, but if it’s the equivalent to s6, some extra cash for uni next year won’t hurt
Original post by Hazelly
How long are your shifts? Can you study before and after work?

It's 22 hours a week, 5 days a week. But I'm really worried if I won't have enough time to revise for my exams!!
Original post by ella1902
I’d say do it, I work about 20 hours a week on top of school and have no issue at all making time to study, and I’m not certain what year 13 is, but if it’s the equivalent to s6, some extra cash for uni next year won’t hurt

year 13 is the last year of formal education, and the grades we get at the end determine the course we get to do to at uni and basically decides whether we get to uni or not! But I'm really worried because idk if I'll have time to revise for my exams in January!!
Original post by An02
year 13 is the last year of formal education, and the grades we get at the end determine the course we get to do to at uni and basically decides whether we get to uni or not! But I'm really worried because idk if I'll have time to revise for my exams in January!!

I get you I’m in the same boat, sent in my uni applications and it’s v scary, but you have about 14 hours awake every day- 98 hours per week. Taking 22 out for work still leaves plenty of time for revision, but you’ll have to then use your free time to study as opposed to party’s, seeing friends, bf/gf etc.
Original post by ella1902
I get you I’m in the same boat, sent in my uni applications and it’s v scary, but you have about 14 hours awake every day- 98 hours per week. Taking 22 out for work still leaves plenty of time for revision, but you’ll have to then use your free time to study as opposed to party’s, seeing friends, bf/gf etc.

Yeah I know I'm really split on whether to take it because the last week of my work because it's just a temporary job is the first week of my exams!!!!! I just really don't want to do bad on these exams!
Original post by An02
Yeah I know I'm really split on whether to take it because the last week of my work because it's just a temporary job is the first week of my exams!!!!! I just really don't want to do bad on these exams!

If you think it will affect you’re results don’t take the job- you don’t want to get your results back and be disappointed with yourself and feel it’s your fault for taking the job. It just comes down on how well you do academically- do you need the extra studying? Will you use the time you would have spent working studying or will you procrastinate?
I’m S6(Year 13) as well. I had a permanent job and I was working 18 hrs a week and also attending school. It didn’t do me any good tbh, because I was constantly so tired, and wasn’t putting any effort in my school stuff as I would rather sleep and rest. I have been thinking of getting a Christmas job as well, but I prefer to focus on my studies and hopefully smash the exams in January. If you are not procrastinating and very focused on studies, I would say the job won’t affect you very much.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending