The Student Room Group

Requirement to become a doctor

Hi I am from srilanka, and i am planning to study medicine in UK and I wanna know of i get A*AA in my alevels can I directly apply to med school and become a doctore in 5-6 years? And then residency. Or is it compulsory to have an 3 year undergraduate degree before applying to med school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is GCSE results important? 😭 that's too unfair we weren't ready for medicine at the age of 15.
Reply 2
I went through the PDF it was really helpful and today i have selected the universities which i can apply for with my achievements, and thank you for the reply!! :smile:
Original post by Dilshani8
I went through the PDF it was really helpful and today i have selected the universities which i can apply for with my achievements, and thank you for the reply!! :smile:

You were looking at the international fees too I take it?

Medicine in the UK as an international is very competitive - average >20 applicants per place, so with only 4 choices a chance of getting in anywhere of <20%.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
You were looking at the international fees too I take it?

Medicine in the UK as an international is very competitive - average >20 applicants per place, so with only 4 choices a chance of getting in anywhere of <20%.

Yes I did! Greenwich and Sunderland was affordable and will get some scholarships and discounts to srilankan students too and part time work will help me to arrange atleast half of money for 2and and 3rd year, and student loan it is to complete it. And in greenwich there is 70% acceptance rate. Btw I am doing graduate entry medicine
Yes I did! Greenwich and Sunderland was affordable and will get some scholarships and discounts to srilankan students too and part time work will help me to arrange atleast half of money for 2and and 3rd year, and student loan it is to complete it. And in greenwich there is 70% acceptance rate. Btw I am doing graduate entry medicine

Greenwich?
Reply 6
Greenwich?

Yes I am going to do my undergraduate degree and then apply to med school
Yes I am going to do my undergraduate degree and then apply to med school

Oh I see. So you've picked Greenwich specifically for the possible scholarship you mean? Just you will be able to find plenty of courses with a much higher acceptance rate than 70% if we're not talking about medicine!

How likely are you to be accepted for the scholarships/discounts? And remember that the fees may be cheaper (maybe) but it is London - that will add to your expenses a lot.
Reply 8
Oh I see. So you've picked Greenwich specifically for the possible scholarship you mean? Just you will be able to find plenty of courses with a much higher acceptance rate than 70% if we're not talking about medicine!

How likely are you to be accepted for the scholarships/discounts? And remember that the fees may be cheaper (maybe) but it is London - that will add to your expenses a lot.

I got my relatives there so I will have no living cost, and I will be doing part time jobs too. And only £1000 discount will be awarded since I am from a srilanka. And it was the cheapest for an international student. And I am planning to apply for biomedical sciences
Reply 9
I got my relatives there so I will have no living cost, and I will be doing part time jobs too. And only £1000 discount will be awarded since I am from a srilanka. And it was the cheapest for an international student. And I am planning to apply for biomedical sciences

Why are you applying for biomedical science first? Why not just go straight to undergraduate medicine?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Doones
Why are you applying for biomedical science first? Why not just go straight to undergraduate medicine?

I have no clear idea what is that but according what I found in internet, there was something called gateway entry to medicine and it wasn't available for international students
Reply 11
I have no clear idea what is that but according what I found in internet, there was something called gateway entry to medicine and it wasn't available for international students

You don't need to do a gateway course if you have the right A-levels for Medicine - which you do have. Medicine in the UK is most commonly studied as an undergraduate course (unlike in the US, for example).

Doing a Biomed degree adds 3 years to your timescale, and isn't necessary.
Reply 12
Original post by Doones
You don't need to do a gateway course if you have the right A-levels for Medicine - which you do have. Medicine in the UK is most commonly studied as an undergraduate course (unlike in the US, for example).

Doing a Biomed degree adds 3 years to your timescale, and isn't necessary.

I was planning to retake my alevels because I got BBB but since as u mentioned ealier my GCSE results will effect too so I thought doing an undergraduate degree and applying as a undergraduate medicine entry will be the only option
Reply 13
I was planning to retake my alevels because I got BBB but since as u mentioned ealier my GCSE results will effect too so I thought doing an undergraduate degree and applying as a undergraduate medicine entry will be the only option

Ecolier has already directed you to the document which sets out all the UK medicine courses and the entry requirements.

Pages 12-50 are the "Standard Entry" courses you can start with A levels (5-6 years). but note that some will not accept re-sits, so you need to go through the websites carefully and see which ones you are eligible for. You can also contact Admissions at each med school with your stats to check that you are eligible for the courses.

Pages 52-66 are the "Graduate Entry" courses (4 years), so you can start them after various degrees, including Biomed degrees. They are very competitive - fewer places and a lot of applicants.

The general advice is that it is less difficult to get into a Standard Entry course, so lots of graduates end up doing a Standard Entry course as a graduate, taking 8 years in total. All medicine courses are highly competitive.

Read that document thoroughly if you want to understand the system. Then, if you decide to apply for medicine for 2021 entry, come back here when you have your Admissions Test score.

Note that if you wanted to start in 2020 you are already too late for medicine courses, but could get on a Biomedicine course - there is always availability in Clearing (August) for Biomed, even for top universities like Newcastle.
Reply 14

It would help if you'd said you were resitting at the outset... however many universities don't mind about resits for Medicine.
Reply 15

if u do biomedical science first u would then have to do graduate entry medicine, which will have different entry requirements
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Kaz_xx
if u do biomedical science first u would then have to do graduate entry medicine, which will have different entry requirements

That is not quite right. Loads of grads do undergrad medicine
Reply 17
Original post by TCL
Ecolier has already directed you to the document which sets out all the UK medicine courses and the entry requirements.

Pages 12-50 are the "Standard Entry" courses you can start with A levels (5-6 years). but note that some will not accept re-sits, so you need to go through the websites carefully and see which ones you are eligible for. You can also contact Admissions at each med school with your stats to check that you are eligible for the courses.

Pages 52-66 are the "Graduate Entry" courses (4 years), so you can start them after various degrees, including Biomed degrees. They are very competitive - fewer places and a lot of applicants.

The general advice is that it is less difficult to get into a Standard Entry course, so lots of graduates end up doing a Standard Entry course as a graduate, taking 8 years in total. All medicine courses are highly competitive.

Read that document thoroughly if you want to understand the system. Then, if you decide to apply for medicine for 2021 entry, come back here when you have your Admissions Test score.

Note that if you wanted to start in 2020 you are already too late for medicine courses, but could get on a Biomedicine course - there is always availability in Clearing (August) for Biomed, even for top universities like Newcastle.

I did check the document again I dont have enough requirements for standard entry medicine in Alevel and GCSE both so graduate entry is the only option for me to available.
Reply 18
Original post by Doones
It would help if you'd said you were resitting at the outset... however many universities don't mind about resits for Medicine.

Many universities check for gcse results too so then I will have resit both gcse and alevel that's alot of work so graduate entry will be the best option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending