The Student Room Group

57% turn it in similarity???

I submitted an essay, and it’s got 57% Similarity score on turn it in? But everything that’s highlighted, I’ve cited and put in my reference list, apart from a few random words and sentences which can literally be found anywhere. I can’t change it as there’s no option to re submit? Please help I’m stressing. Am I going to be penalised?
Original post by Anonymous
I submitted an essay, and it’s got 57% Similarity score on turn it in? But everything that’s highlighted, I’ve cited and put in my reference list, apart from a few random words and sentences which can literally be found anywhere. I can’t change it as there’s no option to re submit? Please help I’m stressing. Am I going to be penalised?

As long as you have cited and referenced like you have said, you will be fine. Turnitin finds similarities but it doesn't "subtract" from your similarity %age if you have cited. Worry not :smile:
Like someone else said It should be fine
Reply 3
Probably not a great essay with that high a score, but provided you have cited, it's not academic misconduct.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Probably not a great essay with that high a score, but provided you have cited, it's not academic misconduct.

Why would it not be a good essay though? I do have a lot of referencing (1 and a half pages)

I’m really confused because my uni friend said that her housemate had to go in front of a board of examiners because hers was really high:confused:
Reply 5
Why would it not be a good essay though? I do have a lot of referencing (1 and a half pages)

I’m really confused because my uni friend said that her housemate had to go in front of a board of examiners because hers was really high:confused:

In my experience, essays with very high similarities ten to be derivative and over rely on sources

Well, unless you are a scientist in which case that changes a little

As @gjd800 says, a high similarity indicates that it's the same tired old material which you've regurgitated. Nothing very new, no interesting sources, no interesting take on it - just a plain old lecture-based 'argument' that's worth a 62 and a bit of a yawn.

Lots of references doesn't necessarily correlate with a good answer. In fact, loads of references chucked in for the sake of it are far worse than fewer well-chosen authoritative references used very specifically and carefully to support your argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending