The Student Room Group

Is eating this amount healthy?

Breakfast: a few nuts, 2 slices of cheese, banana, blueberries, half an orange, tea with milk
Lunch: half pot hummus with carrot and cucumber slices, 1 apple
Dinner: Fish cooked in 1 tsp olive oil with spinach.

I only count about 900 calories. Is this ok?

Scroll to see replies

Another ana.. Are you the same one again, this time on Anon?
No.
Reply 3
That's not very helpful.
Try having some yoghurt with your breakfast to get some calcium and something filling with your dinner like butternut squash or a sweet potato :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Try having some yoghurt with your breakfast to get some calcium and something filling with your dinner like butternut squash or a sweet potato :redface:

Thank you
Likely no. 900kcal isn't healthy.

Thankfully, I also doubt that it is indeed 900kcal - you are probably underestimating. Cheese can be an easy 200kcal, banana 100kcal, 500ml of milk can be 300kcal. That is 600kcal without considering the rest of the breakfast, and the entirety of lunch and dinner.

I think you are closer to a healthy 2000kcal than you imagine.

If you are wondering why you are not losing weight, instead of attempting to starve yourself you should count calories accurately using scales.
(edited 4 years ago)
The fact that you asked means you know the answer is no.
Original post by Sharmarko

Thankfully, I also doubt that it is indeed 900kcal - you are probably underestimating. Cheese can be an easy 200kcal, banana 100kcal, 500ml of milk can be 300kcal. That is 600kcal without considering the rest of breakfast, and the entirety of lunch and dinner.

I think you are closer to 2000kcal than you imagine.

If you are wondering why you are not losing weight, instead of attempting to starve yourself you should count calories accuratly using scales.

I know you're trying to be helpful but specific calorie information like this can be extremely distressing to people with disordered eating. It's clear that OP could be experiencing eating difficulties so it's unlikely that they would miscalculate.

Thankfully, I also doubt that it is indeed 900kcal - you are probably underestimating. Cheese can be an easy 200kcal, banana 100kcal, 500ml of milk can be 300kcal. That is 600kcal without considering the rest of breakfast, and the entirety of lunch and dinner. I think you are closer to 2000kcal than you imagine.

This is way off. It's nothing close to 2000kCal.

She said she had some milk in her tea. I doubt she had half-a-litre of milk in it.*

*Even if she did, it's highly unlikely given her disordered eating it would have been full-fat milk (which is what you've based 300 on), so it would be nearer to 150cal for skimmed milk, the most likely option.
Not enough.
But also who randomly eats 2 slices of cheese for breakfast lmaooooo
Original post by Reality Check
This is way off. It's nothing close to 2000kCal.

She said she had some milk in her tea. I doubt she had half-a-litre of milk in it.*

*Even if she did, it's highly unlikely given her disordered eating it would have been full-fat milk (which is what you've based 300 on), so it would be nearer to 150cal for skimmed milk, the most likely option.

As someone who is in bulking season then I admit that I am also equally at bias - I try to eat 3200kcal a day.

I know you're trying to be helpful but specific calorie information like this can be extremely distressing to people with disordered eating. It's clear that OP could be experiencing eating difficulties so it's unlikely that they would miscalculate.

For some reason today this is like the 5th "am I fat? am I eating too much?" post today so I feel it's just the same person who needs to understand the simple no. I guess I can repost what I already said before.

If you want to lose weight, you have to eat at a calorie deficit.

As a baseline, the average female needs 2000kcal a day to maintain weight. If you desire to lose weight, then aim a deficit of 200-500 calories, so eat 1500/1800kcal a day. This will provide a weekly weight loss at a very healthy and acceptable rate of approximately 0.5lb a week.

Eating at an extreme deficit will result in major weight loss - but you are NOT just 'losing fat', you are losing your health too. You will lose muscle, lose your healthy complexion, lose years off your life. Eating 150kcal a day is not safe.

Please don't fall for fad diets, or think you have to buy expensive strange medicine to lose weight. It's simple, just eat slightly fewer calories than required. Buy a notebook, and record everything you eat in a day - make sure you accurately write down the calorie consumption of eaten foods by looking at the nutritional values given on the packaging.

Using an online calculator estimator (emphasis on estimator) by the company MuscleAndStrength, you need an average of 2593kcal a day to maintain weight. Try eating 2200kcal every day for 2 weeks and log your process. Make sure to accurately track calories, do NOT guess, and weigh yourself every day at the same time (bowel movements can cause fluctuations in weight, so perhaps weigh yourself every morning AFTER using the toilet but BEFORE breakfast).

If you need any more advice please don't hesitate to message; please eat more, 150kcal is not safe and reading that you almost passed out in the shower is pretty terrifying.

Also, and this is probably the most important part - consult a GP. You have health issues that require a health expert. Go to someone who is qualified, not TSR. Goodluck and stay healthy.

Thankfully, I also doubt that it is indeed 900kcal - you are probably underestimating. Cheese can be an easy 200kcal, banana 100kcal, 500ml of milk can be 300kcal. That is 600kcal without considering the rest of the breakfast, and the entirety of lunch and dinner.

I think you are closer to a healthy 2000kcal than you imagine.

If you are wondering why you are not losing weight, instead of attempting to starve yourself you should count calories accurately using scales.

That is also what I'm thinking, that I'm adding this up wrong. Milk definitely adds up when you're having it in tea but I don't think I'm have a pint a day! More like half a pint max if I'm having a few cups of tea. Nuts is another one where this is a lot of calories, 100g is like 600 calories, so I only have a handful a day now.
That is also what I'm thinking, that I'm adding this up wrong. Milk definitely adds up when you're having it in tea but I don't think I'm have a pint a day! More like half a pint max if I'm having a few cups of tea. Nuts is another one where this is a lot of calories, 100g is like 600 calories, so I only have a handful a day now.

If you want to lose weight healthily then eat more at a slight calorie deficit. I'm not sure what else I can say to you since I'm assuming you are also responsible for the 5 other threads.

Just go consult a GP, they can help you more than anyone here can. Eat more, go GP.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Another ana.. Are you the same one again, this time on Anon?

Like one of the previous posters said. 900, is not enough you need to be up around 2,000, so you need to get your count up.
Original post by Karisa96
Like one of the previous posters said. 900, is not enough you need to be up around 2,000, so you need to get your count up.

You quoted the wrong person.
If you want to lose weight healthily then eat more at a slight calorie deficit. I'm not sure what else I can say to you since I'm assuming you are also responsible for the 5 other threads.

Just go consult a GP, they can help you more than anyone here can. Eat more, go GP.

Good advice. :smile:

Yes, she started posting about whether she could lose weight on 600cal - she's now down to 150. She's got a serious ED and is seeking pro-ana posts, yet claims she's 'in recovery'. Unfortunately, Peer Support Volunteers on TSR don't deal with ED, so there's not a huge amount we can do for her, apart from encourage her to seek medical help.
Oops sorry!!!!!
That's not very helpful.

Keeping count of every morsel isn’t helpful or healthy.
(edited 4 years ago)
As someone who is in bulking season then I admit that I am also equally at bias - I try to eat 3200kcal a day.

For some reason today this is like the 5th "am I fat? am I eating too much?" post today so I feel it's just the same person who needs to understand the simple no. I guess I can repost what I already said before.

If you want to lose weight, you have to eat at a calorie deficit.

As a baseline, the average female needs 2000kcal a day to maintain weight. If you desire to lose weight, then aim a deficit of 200-500 calories, so eat 1500/1800kcal a day. This will provide a weekly weight loss at a very healthy and acceptable rate of approximately 0.5lb a week.

Eating at an extreme deficit will result in major weight loss - but you are NOT just 'losing fat', you are losing your health too. You will lose muscle, lose your healthy complexion, lose years off your life. Eating 150kcal a day is not safe.

Please don't fall for fad diets, or think you have to buy expensive strange medicine to lose weight. It's simple, just eat slightly fewer calories than required. Buy a notebook, and record everything you eat in a day - make sure you accurately write down the calorie consumption of eaten foods by looking at the nutritional values given on the packaging.

Using an online calculator estimator (emphasis on estimator) by the company MuscleAndStrength, you need an average of 2593kcal a day to maintain weight. Try eating 2200kcal every day for 2 weeks and log your process. Make sure to accurately track calories, do NOT guess, and weigh yourself every day at the same time (bowel movements can cause fluctuations in weight, so perhaps weigh yourself every morning AFTER using the toilet but BEFORE breakfast).

If you need any more advice please don't hesitate to message; please eat more, 150kcal is not safe and reading that you almost passed out in the shower is pretty terrifying.

Also, and this is probably the most important part - consult a GP. You have health issues that require a health expert. Go to someone who is qualified, not TSR. Goodluck and stay healthy.

Thanks for taking the time to write this and the bit about not just losing weight, but losing health really resonated with me. I did not faint in the shower, sorry if you wrote this out of worry but that wasn't me. He/she will probably see this thread though so I'm sure it will help them. Good luck with your bulking.

Quick Reply

Latest