The Student Room Group

Return to School: ask for advice (civil engineering MSc/MEng)

I graduated in 2015 and worked in the civil engineering industry for 4 years in Hong Kong. After receiving my professional chartership this year, I decided to return to school and pursue my higher education in geotechnical field in UK.

However, I got a pretty poor academic result in my bachelor degree (GPA: 2.5 out of 4.3). Luckily my alma mater is not too bad (QS ranking in C.E. < 20).

As in the admission requirement for MEng/MSc, the minimum GPA of bachelor degree required by most universities shall be at least 3 out of 4 (equivalent to upper second class honour). Do I still stand a chance enrolling in the master program, considering I am chartered engineer with few years related working experience?Thanks!!
Original post by chikstan
I graduated in 2015 and worked in the civil engineering industry for 4 years in Hong Kong. After receiving my professional chartership this year, I decided to return to school and pursue my higher education in geotechnical field in UK.

However, I got a pretty poor academic result in my bachelor degree (GPA: 2.5 out of 4.3). Luckily my alma mater is not too bad (QS ranking in C.E. < 20).

As in the admission requirement for MEng/MSc, the minimum GPA of bachelor degree required by most universities shall be at least 3 out of 4 (equivalent to upper second class honour). Do I still stand a chance enrolling in the master program, considering I am chartered engineer with few years related working experience?Thanks!!

Your work experience is your best bet.

Most UK unis a 2.1 is a check box exercise your expected to have this and without it its normally a straight rejection. But 4 years industry experience is actually quite a lot, its very hard to say, I think you will get offers if you apply to enough unis just dont expect Imperial... I would call/email a few course directors and see what they have to say, youll get a better answer there then on TSR.
Reply 2
Thank you!
Actually I checked with Imperial before, I explained my situation to them and they said applicant with >3 year working experience will still be considered. The problem is that the rating mechanism for master degree enrolment is unknown, maybe some universities favour post graduate working experience more than academic performance of bachelor degree.
Reply 3
Similar situation here.Graduated with poor academic result with several years of post-qualification experience. I have applied to several universities and hopefully they will take my work experience into consideration.
Yes you..I didn`t have great results but had 5 years of work experienceI received offers to study MSc in Geotechnical Engineering at Leeds, Surrey, Exeter and Dundee.. I applied for Imperial as well but didn`t get any reply yet
Reply 5
Got the offer from Imperial a month ago, so i guess industrial experiences do offer a competitive edge
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by chikstan
Got the offer from Imperial a month ago, so i guess industrial experiences do offer a competitive edge

Congrats!
One of the worlds best unis (especially in engineering)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending