The Student Room Group

Advice with weight?

What should if I do if my stomach is fat but I’m skinny overall.Do I try and lose a bit of weight even though I’m already kinda skinny?
You have a couple of options:
1) Try to lose some weight because maybe your stomach is where your body puts weight on first
2) Do exercises that strengthen your core and stomach area.
Perhaps do some of both
Reply 2
Been here... only one solution, sorry. Regularly run until you throw up... then run some more!
Reply 3
Original post by Appirition
You have a couple of options:
1) Try to lose some weight because maybe your stomach is where your body puts weight on first
2) Do exercises that strengthen your core and stomach area.
Perhaps do some of both

I do crunches to try and get a 6 pack.That’s still fine right?
Reply 4
Original post by rj23

You're utterly clueless: go here, and here.
Original post by rj23

crunches is the thing you dont want to be doing if you still have belly fat. I was in a similar position to you, your state is called skinny-fat, appearance is fairly thin, but in fact you have a layer of annoying fat on the upper body area. To get rid of it I would recommend you go weight training for chest and good ab exercises which you can search up for fat burning. Along with this you can do weight training for other parts of the body if you wish e.g. biceps and back. Doing back also helps as working you lower back also gets rid of the fatty look. After you do your weight training I would do about 5-10 mins of cardio of whatever you want. Doing this short amount has to be hard work leaving you panting. It is only a short amount of time as you have already used up a lot of energy in the weight training. If you do this 2-4 times a week you will make good progress.
On top of this you need to eat well not necessary healthy, Find out your macros (calculation of weight heigh and size of certain areas in the body) and it will calculate how many calories you need to eat, how much in grams of protein carbs sugar etc you need to eat.

Hope this helped
Reply 6
Original post by Omertà
crunches is the thing you dont want to be doing if you still have belly fat. I was in a similar position to you, your state is called skinny-fat, appearance is fairly thin, but in fact you have a layer of annoying fat on the upper body area. To get rid of it I would recommend you go weight training for chest and good ab exercises which you can search up for fat burning. Along with this you can do weight training for other parts of the body if you wish e.g. biceps and back. Doing back also helps as working you lower back also gets rid of the fatty look. After you do your weight training I would do about 5-10 mins of cardio of whatever you want. Doing this short amount has to be hard work leaving you panting. It is only a short amount of time as you have already used up a lot of energy in the weight training. If you do this 2-4 times a week you will make good progress.
On top of this you need to eat well not necessary healthy, Find out your macros (calculation of weight heigh and size of certain areas in the body) and it will calculate how many calories you need to eat, how much in grams of protein carbs sugar etc you need to eat.

Hope this helped

U sure I should do ab exercises for fat burning?I really don’t want to get any skinnier.And is the idea for once the stomach reduces in size a bit , to only then do the crunches while eating at a caloric surplus?
Reply 7
Original post by rj23
U sure I should do ab exercises for fat burning?I really don’t want to get any skinnier.And is the idea for once the stomach reduces in size a bit , to only then do the crunches while eating at a caloric surplus?

Doesn't sound like your skinny. Just that you look skinny.
Also your goal is too lose fat. So you should not be eating at a surplus.
Reply 8
Original post by adam271
Doesn't sound like your skinny. Just that you look skinny.
Also your goal is too lose fat. So you should not be eating at a surplus.

It feels sort of strange because I feel my abs develop under my fairly fat stomach as a result of doing the crunches.Its almost like the muscles are developing inside it but the stomach looks the same as it was if that makes sense.
Reply 9
Original post by rj23
It feels sort of strange because I feel my abs develop under my fairly fat stomach as a result of doing the crunches.Its almost like the muscles are developing inside it but the stomach looks the same as it was if that makes sense.

Everyone has abs. They are just usually covered by a layer of fat. You need to lose the fat.
Some people may tell you that you can be on a calorie surplus and lose fat while building muscle. This is called body recomposition
They are not wrong. But this is a lot harder to achieve BUT 99.99999% of people who try body recomp try it because they are not really serious about losing weight and can not stick to a calroie defict. Just because celebrities can do it who have 24/7 personal trainers doesn't mean everyone else can.

Also you can gain muscle on a defict still espeically on a high protein diet just that your gains will not be great.
Reply 10
Original post by adam271
Everyone has abs. They are just usually covered by a layer of fat. You need to lose the fat.
Some people may tell you that you can be on a calorie surplus and lose fat while building muscle. This is called body recomposition
They are not wrong. But this is a lot harder to achieve BUT 99.99999% of people who try body recomp try it because they are not really serious about losing weight and can not stick to a calroie defict. Just because celebrities can do it who have 24/7 personal trainers doesn't mean everyone else can.

Also you can gain muscle on a defict still espeically on a high protein diet just that your gains will not be great.

I can confirm what I’ve got is skinny fat.

I’m so confused,I’ve seen a lot of different answers from various sources about how to solve this.
Do I just need to eat less and lift heavy or do I need to do ab exercises as well to lose fat there.Once I’m thin proportionally (no belly fat) should I then bulk up by eating more and lifting heavy instead and get bigger from there.

Also I do lift heavy dumbbells 3 times a week using the routine from the ‘barbarian body’ YouTube channel.There is a 15 mins dumbbell full body workout on that channel which is the routine I follow.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rj23

yeah you should do ab exercises that you can physically feel training you muscles and fat burning ones tend to work well

Quick Reply

Latest