The Student Room Group

The robots are coming

We will soon be made redundant, doing nothing. Is the future really as bleak as it sounds? You can see how technology is affecting jobs in supermarkets, self service check out. A Sainsbury’s branch is trialling out a store with no checkouts meaning less people need to be be employed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you know, it's a pretty weird trait of society when people are viewing not having to work as being a bad thing
Its much worse than that. 'Downloadable brains', microchips, nano, mind reading tech. Orwellian nightmare.
Reply 3
Amazon are already running stores like that in Canada.
Reply 4
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Its much worse than that. 'Downloadable brains', microchips, nano, mind reading tech. Orwellian nightmare.

i would never get a chip in my brain thats what they r trying to do now
Joking aside I heard last year that the rich in America put that contactless like chip in their finger so they can just tap it and go, its a status symbol.
Reply 6
Imagine that? A whole world with no jobs and robots running everything.

I imagine there would be no need for money either, with food and drink in abundance. There won't even be housework to do.

Just lots of doing whatever we want - perusing hobbies, curing cancer, inventing teleporters and stuff.
On the one hand, there's automation replacing human work and leading to a post-scarcity society; on the other hand we have climate change, rising sea levels, drowning cities, and biodiversity loss. I have no idea what this century's going to be like but it's gonna be a ride.
Original post by Pencil
Imagine that? A whole world with no jobs and robots running everything.

I imagine there would be no need for money either, with food and drink in abundance. There won't even be housework to do.

Just lots of doing whatever we want - perusing hobbies, curing cancer, inventing teleporters and stuff.

We would end up like in WallE
and what if all natural resources run out and tech halts? :wink:
Original post by drbluebox
Joking aside I heard last year that the rich in America put that contactless like chip in their finger so they can just tap it and go, its a status symbol.

Sweden
Original post by 000_0000

I know. Its horrendous. Its already happened to people without consent. Not necessarily in the brain. But it's happened. Rare to find someone who takes it seriously. I've been trying for years to change something about the direction of travel(personal experiences mean I know how bad it is). But you can't do it without more people on board on this issue.
Stop being worried the robots are going to do **** all
Mass labour will be norm in future
Robots are too expensive while humans are cheap
Original post by 000_0000

Standing still is entirely your prerogative, but your descendants are nonetheless assured of a warm welcome when they join me and mine on Mars.
Original post by Profesh
Standing still is entirely your prerogative, but your descendants are nonetheless assured of a warm welcome when they join me and mine on Mars.

??? Pls post something that makes sense
I look forward to this future.
Original post by kanako231
??? Pls post something that makes sense

I fear it means he is deranged enough to think its progress. Hope not.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
I look forward to this future.

Too bad it wont happen since humans are too dumb to actual human like robots
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I fear it means he is deranged enough to think its progress. Hope not.

Oh thank you, it's just that i couldn't read the rest without my eyes hurting
Original post by kanako231
Too bad it wont happen since humans are too dumb to actual human like robots

Humans are electrical ghosts driving fleshy robots...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending