The Student Room Group

How could genetic engineering be used to create opposite sex clones?

Do you think it will become possible to create opposite sex clones in the future? A male clone from a woman or a female clone from a man?

I think it will become possible. To create a female clone from a man you could take his cells and turn off the Androgen receptor genes. So the person will develop as female and will have Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. She would be esterile.

To create a male clone from a woman it would be needed to take her cells and add/create the sry system genes and put them into the XX chromossome. So there will be a male clone from a woman. Or replace one of the X chromossome and insert an artifitial Y one. Synthetic biology could easily solve this little problem.

Remembering that there are women who are born with XY chromossomes and men who are born with XX chromossomes. I think I have XY chromossomes since I`m a guy. I don`t know if I have Chapelle syndrome, when a man is born with XX chromossomes instead of XY.

If I cloned myself and I choose my clone to be a girl, would she be my daughter technically and legally speaking? What if I raise her considering if she is born as a baby like all humans? And what if my clone is vatgrown in the laboratory cell by cell and is created in adult form?
Reply 1
(Original post by SabrineCrystal)
To create a female clone from a man you could take his cells and turn off the Androgen receptor genes. So the person will develop as female and will have Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. She would be esterile. (end quote)

I'm not sure that scientists would classify an XY androgen insensitive female-appearance to be actually "female"...remember it cannot be self-declared unlike trans people in some countries...

Original post by SabrineCrystal
If I cloned myself and I choose my clone to be a girl, would she be my daughter technically and legally speaking? What if I raise her considering if she is born as a baby like all humans? And what if my clone is vatgrown in the laboratory cell by cell and is created in adult form?

In China the scientist who allegedly genetically modified the twins is being pursued by the Government.
If you cloned yourself...you'd be breaking the law (idk which one right now)
would you be able to register the birth? Legally you'd probably want to cover your tracks and hide your "paternity"
Technically you'd have provided all the DNA and created an androgen insensitive XY baby...you cannot grow this into adult form in the lab! There is not yet an artificial womb let alone any way to keep a baby/toddler/child in a confined environment, that would be inhumane
Reply 2
Its called twin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending