The Student Room Group

Has anyone else here had/have high blood pressure?

Hello all,

So I am 24 years old and for the past year I have had very high blood pressure readings for my age.

I was wondering if there are any other younger people here who have had this issue?

I have been investigated and so far no cause can be found.

Readings have varied anywhere from 136-170/90-110, depending on the day, time of day, how stressed/tired I am, and if I am nervous.

I am not overweight, non smoker, moderate drinker, I do exercise too.

For my age the numbers are very very high I know :/

I have recently started medication for the high blood pressure but the readings are still a bit all over the place.

Has anyone else got experience with this?

I am currently on 5mg amlopidine.

Any advice from anyone in a similar boat would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
I don't quite understand why you would query what advice I would want. The whole point of a forum is for people to ask for general advice.

I enjoy red wine on a Friday and Saturday night.

Yes, there is a family history of hypertension.

I have had all sorts of blood tests done. I have also seen an endocrinologist, and the tests he ran appeared to be fairly normal. He was very vague and hasn't communicated much with me. I am due to see him again in January.
Reply 2
I was more looking for people who have been in a similar boat to share their story, and how they got it under control.

I actually have decided against buying a blood pressure machine. I don't want to become obsessed with my blood pressure.

The readings are done in GP surgeries or pharmacies. I sometimes go to a pharmacy to get a reading.

I will comfortably drink a bottle of red wine to myself on the weekend. Cutting down on alcohol doesn't seem to lower my readings.

Well, 5mg was the starting dose, but I have still had readings of 150-170 since starting the medication, so it is still uncontrolled. I will either need to change the tablet or increase the dose (or both).
Original post by Coke1

I will comfortably drink a bottle of red wine to myself on the weekend. Cutting down on alcohol doesn't seem to lower my readings.

Maybe, but it would improve your health in other ways.

Well, 5mg was the starting dose, but I have still had readings of 150-170 since starting the medication, so it is still uncontrolled. I will either need to change the tablet or increase the dose (or both).

You'd more likely be prescribed a second drug such as an ACE inhibitor. Unless you are black African or African-Carribean heritage its unusual to be started on a CCB anyway.
I have the other problem, my blood pressure is low-ish (90-94/60). I say low-ish since my GP has said it’s fine but sometimes I feel like I’m floating around.
Original post by Alisha300
I have the other problem, my blood pressure is low-ish (90-94/60). I say low-ish since my GP has said it’s fine but sometimes I feel like I’m floating around.

what do you mean by floating?

i also have low blood pressure, although lower than that, and i just assume it's genetic
Original post by HoldThisL
what do you mean by floating?

i also have low blood pressure, although lower than that, and i just assume it's genetic

I mean feeling lightheaded and not really present in the moment, so essentially I feel like I’m just floating around. This is not all the time though, sometimes if I use lifts I get this for a few moments after or usually around that time of the month I get it sometimes.

I’m not sure if this really makes sense😂
Original post by Alisha300
I mean feeling lightheaded and not really present in the moment, so essentially I feel like I’m just floating around. This is not all the time though, sometimes if I use lifts I get this for a few moments after or usually around that time of the month I get it sometimes.

I’m not sure if this really makes sense😂

ah yeah i know what you mean, i used to pass out or have to sit back down from getting up too quickly/being sat still for too long

i started putting a bit more salt in my food (as that raises blood pressure) and it doesn't happen nearly so much anymore although i don't if that's actually helped since i've not had a pressure check in a few years
Original post by Coke1
Hello all,

So I am 24 years old and for the past year I have had very high blood pressure readings for my age.

I was wondering if there are any other younger people here who have had this issue?

I have been investigated and so far no cause can be found.

Readings have varied anywhere from 136-170/90-110, depending on the day, time of day, how stressed/tired I am, and if I am nervous.

I am not overweight, non smoker, moderate drinker, I do exercise too.

For my age the numbers are very very high I know :/

I have recently started medication for the high blood pressure but the readings are still a bit all over the place.

Has anyone else got experience with this?

I am currently on 5mg amlopidine.

Any advice from anyone in a similar boat would be much appreciated!

I do and Im on meds! Drs not sure why as dont drink, never smoked and eat healthy. Also not overweight.
Reply 9
Original post by Jack22031994
I do and Im on meds! Drs not sure why as dont drink, never smoked and eat healthy. Also not overweight.

Hi, do you mind me asking how high your numbers were and your age?

Also, did your meds work immediately or did it take trying a few different ones? I thought my meds were working and until I got sky high numbers!

I went to a pharmacy to check my blood pressure and it was off the roof! But I sometimes question the accuracy of having it checked by the automatic machines rather than the old fashioned manual way in a GP. Plus sometimes the staff do not do it correctly (i.e. cuff size, feet on ground, bare arm etc)
The past few times I’ve had it measured the readings have been in the 131/80 range which I found weird as I don’t drink, smoke and exercise multiple times a week. I’ve not been to the doctors about it yet but should I be concerned?
Original post by Coke1
Hi, do you mind me asking how high your numbers were and your age?

Also, did your meds work immediately or did it take trying a few different ones? I thought my meds were working and until I got sky high numbers!

I went to a pharmacy to check my blood pressure and it was off the roof! But I sometimes question the accuracy of having it checked by the automatic machines rather than the old fashioned manual way in a GP. Plus sometimes the staff do not do it correctly (i.e. cuff size, feet on ground, bare arm etc)

I was 23 at the time, I dont want to scare you how I found out. But lets say I was in hospital for 11 days and BP was like 180/110 and that would be low :/ They seem to be working okay :smile:
just to add onto what 's point about white coat hypertension, it usually causes a 5-10/5 mmHG increase in blood pressure. With blood pressure machines, make sure it has the CE marking on the back as it is certified for british and european use (here is a list of machines validated by the British and irish heart society https://bihsoc.org/bp-monitors/for-home-use/).

I should also mention that when you do measure it, make sure you are relaxed for about 5 minutes before measuring (a lot of GPs rush this in my own experience), your arms are at the right level and that you repeat measurements 3 times to get an average figure (if your in your 20s, ideal bBP is 120/80mmHG but anything less than 135/85mmHg is ok).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Coke1
I was more looking for people who have been in a similar boat to share their story, and how they got it under control.

I actually have decided against buying a blood pressure machine. I don't want to become obsessed with my blood pressure.

The readings are done in GP surgeries or pharmacies. I sometimes go to a pharmacy to get a reading.

with blood pressure meds in fairness, it does take a few weeks to be fully effective (if you have been on it for a while however, like you said, they may need to adjust the dose or prescribe an alternative). Out of curiosity, why arent you on an ACE inhibitor (drugs usually ending the suffix 'pril') or an ARB (drugs usually ending with the suffix 'sartan')?

Quick Reply

Latest