The Student Room Group

TORIES vs LABOUR

Can anyone pls give some insight on this cos I really don't get it at all? What's different about them? Which one's better in ur opinion and why? Thanks :smile:
To get it out of the way i'm personally currently interested in voting labour but ill try to be fair.

The difference between labour and the tories (aka conservatives) are what they believe in. To get details on their beliefs, google the labour manifesto and the conservative manifesto. Manifestos are documents that tell voters what a party promises to do if they get into government. For example off the top of my head, labour wants to change the universal credit approach to benefits (introduced by the torries), reduce or remove tuition fees, put more money into the nhs, create more council houses etc. I reccomend you search up how the torries will approach these same issues (I can't be asked to search it up right now lol) As someone with a life-long disease that requires constant support from the nhs, I'm more likely to support parties like labour who seem to genuinely support the nhs as a public health service. I feel like the conservatives have mismanaged the nhs and try to privatise the nhs too much, although maybe you or other people will feel differently. This nhs issue is one of the reasons I'm unlikely to vote for them.

This is just my opinion. I recommend reading up on the different polices between the different parties and see which one suits your views the most.
This might help...
https://youtu.be/gToQLacgJNs - what labour wants to do
https://youtu.be/hAwJkwTwUWA - what the conservatives want to do

whatever sounds best to you vote for them!
but do take these with a pinch of salt as most policies may not get implemented
Original post by bagel321
Can anyone pls give some insight on this cos I really don't get it at all? What's different about them? Which one's better in ur opinion and why? Thanks :smile:

The tories are better because all liberals hate them :biggrin:
Also please vote for UKIP, you will go heaven if you do so

Labour is loads of free stuff that someone else will pay for (IFS says they can’t), have a referendum on the EU again and if they need SNP support to form a government which is very likely then another Scottish referendum too.

Conservative is more of the same but a bit extra spending and putting the brexit withdrawal agreement through.
Original post by paul514
Labour is loads of free stuff that someone else will pay for (IFS says they can’t), have a referendum on the EU again and if they need SNP support to form a government which is very likely then another Scottish referendum too.

Conservative is more of the same but a bit extra spending and putting the brexit withdrawal agreement through.

/thread
Original post by paul514

Can you stop with the bias
Original post by kanako231
Can you stop with the bias

If you think that’s biased then you must be really biased 😂
more like who is the lesser of the two evils
I think it’s hilarious how the Tories are going to spend more money while reducing taxes. How they are going to fund the NHS while their reduced budget? At least Labour admits they will be raising taxes on the wealthy.

Labour: give us all your money and we'll give you back a fair amount.

Tory: We will use taxation to run essential public services.
Original post by Professional G
I think it’s hilarious how the Tories are going to spend more money while reducing taxes. How they are going to fund the NHS while their reduced budget? At least Labour admits they will be raising taxes on the wealthy.

difference between higher income & wealthy.
Labour are not increasing wealth taxes but income tax so people who worked hard and climbed the ladder for 30 years get stung. Multi-millionaires who money is stored is all good, you'll notice millionaires such as Corbyn actually get to keep their wealth but if you are a higher earner who works 60 hours a week you could well find yourself stung with the 50% tax bracket as a reward for your dedication.
Original post by kanako231
The tories are better because all liberals hate them :biggrin:
Also please vote for UKIP, you will go heaven if you do so

Lmao UKIP is irrelevant these days - they've essentially been replaced by the Brexit Party and is being led with that same muppet Farage :lol:

Also I don't want to go to heaven so if you're saying I'm gonna go to hell for voting Labour then I'm extremely happy happy with that, thanks :hugs:

Prsom :smile:

It depends what taxes you lower and where they are on the laffer curve.

An easy example is corporation tax where lowering it brought in more revenue.
Thanks for the help everyone :smile:

Quick Reply