The Student Room Group

Nish Kumar

Nish Kumar is a darling of the BBC/Guardian/Channel4/Indy network and his type of humour is a hit with them and their audiences (he looks the part, displays all the correct views) but stepping outside that bubble into the real world is a risky game.

For short, he chose to promote his mug by posing as a charitable act at Lord's. Because he is as limited in range as his friends, he can only try to be funny about Brexit, the Tories, the Monarchy, the patriarchy and all else that gets up the nose of the metropolitan classes but it didn't go down that well outside of his safe space.

The moment he starts, inevitably, to play the race card to justify his going down like a lead balloon was when i couldn't bear it anymore. You can try it, if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uOMCb0JYkI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So your definition of the real world is limited to places like the Lord's Taverners?
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
So your definition of the real world is limited to places like the Lord's Taverners?

Much more real than a BBC studio, Lord's Taverners has a mix of real people that reflects a variety of opinions. We can see some people laughing with him and others booing him off stage, a BBC studio would erupt with applause the moment he tells the audience he could expect their reaction from the descendants of colonial invaders. I think that's not only offensive but nasty even, a BBC audience wouldn't dare to challenge it but they do at Lord's. So yes, Lord's Taverners is much more of a reflection of the real world than a place where declaring any sympathy for Trump or Brexit would put paid to their career prospects. You like his act, do you?
Reply 3
Why is an audience at a beeb show not real? Are they not actual people? Are their opinions and views invalid for some reason?

Why do you think certain viewpoints can be ignored or their holders disregarded as fake?
They were a bunch of pathetic snowflakes that got offended at a few jokes.
I don't see how this is very news worthy.

A comic mis-read an audience and bombed. I'm pretty sure that's happened to all comics a few times in their careers. Certainly Ive seen countless interviews with comics talking about times when they bombed.

Just because its brexit, doesn't mean its news worthy.

Not a huge fan of Nish. Always find him a bit awkward, and not in a good way. If I'm choosing comics south asian heritage.. its Romesh for me. Best deadpan delivery around.
Original post by fallen_acorns

Not a huge fan of Nish. Always find him a bit awkward, and not in a good way. If I'm choosing comics south asian heritage.. its Romesh for me. Best deadpan delivery around.

I don't really categorise my comedians by their ethnicity, frankly.
Original post by Reality Check
I don't really categorise my comedians by their ethnicity, frankly.

To be fair they've done it themselves multiple times on TV, it used to be one of Nish' lines on pannel shows.
Original post by fallen_acorns
To be fair they've done it themselves multiple times on TV, it used to be one of Nish' lines on pannel shows.

Yes - fair point. I wish they wouldn't do that reverse racism stuff though - it feels very 1970s to me, still.
So they booked a comedian known for his political comedy only for the hypersensitive audience to get upset?

The poor, fragile things.
I feel sorry for OP, missing out on so much humour due to his race filter.
Reply 11
Some predictable replies from the leftist rabble that aren't worth spending time on, it's a new energy-saving directive. To everybody else with a mind of their own, you know full well these characters would be up in arms if their funny man chose Remainers or Greta as a theme, the BBC would send a unit down in double time to investigate what was going on. What i find remarkable is the sense of impunity with which these people throw their weight about, that arrogance and surliness is fully derived from that metropolitan bubble epitomised by the BBC. Anyone mildly thoughtful will find it distasteful to join a charitable function to start throwing their political opinions at everyone and insult those who fail to join in but... that's the leftist mindset.
Original post by Kitten in boots
So they booked a comedian known for his political comedy only for the hypersensitive audience to get upset?

The poor, fragile things.

That's the trouble with all these right wing snowflakes, they can't handle the slightest criticism. I blame the parents.
Original post by z-hog
Some predictable replies from the leftist rabble that aren't worth spending time on, it's a new energy-saving directive. To everybody else with a mind of their own, you know full well these characters would be up in arms if their funny man chose Remainers or Greta as a theme, the BBC would send a unit down in double time to investigate what was going on. What i find remarkable is the sense of impunity with which these people throw their weight about, that arrogance and surliness is fully derived from that metropolitan bubble epitomised by the BBC. Anyone mildly thoughtful will find it distasteful to join a charitable function to start throwing their political opinions at everyone and insult those who fail to join in but... that's the leftist mindset.

Is the "rightist" mindset to throw your bread rolls out of the pram when you get offended?
Reply 14
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Is the "rightist" mindset to throw your bread rolls out of the pram when you get offended?

I'm not offended, just completely contemptuous of the git and mindset he epitomises. The rightist mindset is one where, when insulted, it is given back for the sake of good manners. The leftist mindset, however, is one where political opponents are there to be abused and expected to laugh without reservations if it isn't possible to round them up and intern them. It's a ridiculous mindset, for that reason I'm not one of them.
Original post by z-hog
I'm not offended, just completely contemptuous of the git and mindset he epitomises. The rightist mindset is one where, when insulted, it is given back for the sake of good manners. The leftist mindset, however, is one where political opponents are there to be abused and expected to laugh without reservations if it isn't possible to round them up and intern them. It's a ridiculous mindset, for that reason I'm not one of them.

So yes, when insulted the response is to throw your bread rolls.
Original post by z-hog
Nish Kumar is a darling of the BBC/Guardian/Channel4/Indy network and his type of humour is a hit with them and their audiences (he looks the part, displays all the correct views) but stepping outside that bubble into the real world is a risky game.

For short, he chose to promote his mug by posing as a charitable act at Lord's. Because he is as limited in range as his friends, he can only try to be funny about Brexit, the Tories, the Monarchy, the patriarchy and all else that gets up the nose of the metropolitan classes but it didn't go down that well outside of his safe space.

The moment he starts, inevitably, to play the race card to justify his going down like a lead balloon was when i couldn't bear it anymore. You can try it, if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uOMCb0JYkI

Er, what's your point?
Reply 17
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
So yes, when insulted the response is to throw your bread rolls.

Yes, very annoying for those starting the abusing and expecting to get away without consequences. It's that leftist mindset again.
Original post by z-hog
Yes, very annoying for those starting the abusing and expecting to get away without consequences. It's that leftist mindset again.

A comedy routine is now abuse? :rofl:

This is reaching new levels of snowflake fragility.
Reply 19
Damn you're easily triggered...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending