The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I told my doctor my symptoms and he said I had anxiety and he was going to refer me for therapy. But now I have to declare that to my university who I already have an offer from for nursing who might reject me because of that employers won't give me a job because of my medical records. Regret it so much

No of course you haven’t. You did the right thing going to the doctor.
I actually left nursing because of my anxiety in year 2.
I tried to get back into nursing from where I left off after recovering but no uni was accepting me unless I started straight from year 1 again
Reply 3
I actually left nursing because of my anxiety in year 2.
I tried to get back into nursing from where I left off after recovering but no uni was accepting me unless I started straight from year 1 again

I have already got an offer if I declare it to them I think they will reject me
Reply 4
Original post by jduxie4414
No of course you haven’t. You did the right thing going to the doctor.

But now it's on my medical records and I have to declare it to uni and my future jobs
But now it's on my medical records and I have to declare it to uni and my future jobs

And that's completely fine. It won't stop you as a future nurse
Reply 6
Original post by AzureCeleste
And that's completely fine. It won't stop you as a future nurse

Will my uni reject me if I declare it to them I already have an offer
You don’t have to declare mental illnesses to your university (unless you want to). You also don’t have to declare mental illness to your employer so it won’t ruin your job prospects. Stop being over dramatic
Reply 8

No
They shouldn’t reject you because of that
Nobody is allowed to look at your medical records without your consent (unless it’s a doctor) so I really don’t know what you’re worried about
You don’t have to declare mental illnesses to your university (unless you want to). You also don’t have to declare mental illness to your employer so it won’t ruin your job prospects. Stop being over dramatic

Oh sorry my parents said to me future employers looks your medical records before employing u and I thought it was the same for uni

Thank you
Original post by Pugglet
No
They shouldn’t reject you because of that

How did the nights go?
Oh sorry my parents said to me future employers looks your medical records before employing u and I thought it was the same for uni

That isn’t true lmao how would an employer access your medical records? You can’t just search it on google. They aren’t even allowed to ask you if you have a mental illness. Even a doctor can not search your medical records unless they have a good reason to do so (ie they need to look at your medical history)
I told my doctor my symptoms and he said I had anxiety and he was going to refer me for therapy. But now I have to declare that to my university who I already have an offer from for nursing who might reject me because of that employers won't give me a job because of my medical records. Regret it so much

First or second degree?
How bad is the anxiety?
My advice is always get your MH issues sorted out before you start your degree as doing stressful studies will only compound it.
That isn’t true lmao how would an employer access your medical records? You can’t just search it on google. They aren’t even allowed to ask you if you have a mental illness. Even a doctor can not search your medical records unless they have a good reason to do so (ie they need to look at your medical history)

Original post by 999tigger
First or second degree?
How bad is the anxiety?
My advice is always get your MH issues sorted out before you start your degree as doing stressful studies will only compound it.

First degree.
Not bad I thought I had adhd I just become overwhelmed when dealing with stress and start crying unfortunately.
It was just affecting my studies as when I'm stressed about my exams I can't revise

OK thanks
Original post by 999tigger
How did the nights go?

They were brill actually
Quite chill so got a lot of my SafeMedicate stuff done, and it was nice to see the set up for the next day and the cares that happen at night

They will not automatically reject you for declaring that you have anxiety. Part of the application process is to complete an occupational health check, in which they will discuss how your anxiety manifests/affects you. They will then decide if you will be able to cope with the demands of the course with/without reasonable adjustments in place (keeping in mind that it involves both academic work and clinical placements).

Employers and universities cannot gain access to your medical records. These are confidential.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
They will not automatically reject you for declaring that you have anxiety. Part of the application process is to complete an occupational health check, in which they will discuss how your anxiety manifests/affects you. They will then decide if you will be able to cope with the demands of the course with/without reasonable adjustments in place (keeping in mind that it involves both academic work and clinical placements).

Employers and universities cannot gain access to your medical records. These are confidential.

SO in the occupational health check would I have to tell them. I would have put it in my ucas form but I only found out today properly when I discussed it with my GP so they know nothing about it and I've already got an offer from them.

Latest

Trending

Trending