The Student Room Group

Student and a baby

I’m in my second year of my degree at uni and was wondering whether you think it’s possible to have a baby and do my third and final year? My fiancé is hopeful as we have been together for years and inevitably knew it would happen one day.

Please move this post to somewhere else if I’ve placed it in the wrong section
how long are you to finish your study
if it is 3year wait untill you finish
Original post by Anomymous21_
I’m in my second year of my degree at uni and was wondering whether you think it’s possible to have a baby and do my third and final year? My fiancé is hopeful as we have been together for years and inevitably knew it would happen one day.

Please move this post to somewhere else if I’ve placed it in the wrong section

Live your life a bit first before having children
It's usually possible, depending upon the degree course.

But don't plan to start a family as an undergrad.
Final year is hard enough without the additional pressure of being pregnant, the additional financial worries that come with that and having to organise childcare as a student.
I’m hoping for peoples experiences instead of judgment. Mainly people that have been through this
I’m hoping for peoples experiences instead of judgment. Mainly people that have been through this

I don't have firsthand experience, but one of my friends had a baby during her final year of her degree. She had an extremely rough pregnancy, and complications after the birth, so she was forced to interrupt her studies. She completed her final year a year later than planned, but still got her degree in the end.

I don't know whether she regretted getting pregnant at that exact time, but I know a few lecturers had some choice words for her behind her back (one openly called her 'irresponsible' in front of my whole cohort).
Reply 6
Consider morning sickness, swollen ankles, sore breasts, trying to sit comfortably in lectures, tiredness, needing to wee more often, fitting doctor's appointments round your studies, sleepless nights, taking the baby for doctor's appointments. The cost of buying maternity clothes, baby clothes, food, equipment, toys, nappies, childcare, more baby clothes, more clothes for you. And as you're spending all that you need to be saving for the next round of expenditure as the baby becomes a toddler.

Does your fiance study or have a job? Have you got somewhere suitable to live? What are you planning on doing after uni and could you still do it with a child?

It's a massive physical and financial commitment. Could you both cope?

i dont think many people have planned to have a baby during their undergrad. the people who have had a baby in these circumstances have most likely struggled a great deal.

It's not 'judgement', it's just common sense that it's far easier and more sensible to complete your degree first. I'm pretty sure most people who went through this did not plan on it.
Wait one more year. It’s possible. Get pregnant in a years time. That way you’ve almost finished your degree and can absolutely chill
Thank you
Hold out until the end of your degree.

A friend/classmate of mine was pregnant when we were in college. She missed a lot of days (including tests) and often was late in due pregnancy symptoms. I think she ended up resitting.
(edited 4 years ago)

my mum was heavily pregnant with me when she did her uni exams

Quick Reply

Latest