The Student Room Group

Fear of uni

There’s so much to this so I’m trying to keep it as brief as possible because I could go on for days!
I’m currently 19 (and a week!) working in retail for 8.75 an hour which is isn’t bad at all but I’m planning on going to uni next year, I’m currently on a “gap year” so working as many hours as I can to have savings there. I want to go to uni to study equine science, I have been offered a place for next September and there’s nothing stopping me from going... apart from myself. I am absolutely petrified. Leaving home, leaving my parents, my boyfriend, being alone, transferring jobs, not knowing anyone. I literally feel like I can’t go to uni and achieve my dreams because of my anxiety and I feel so so stupid for it, i literally have another 9 months until I go (if I do 😬) but I think about it everyday. Is anyone else like this? Is there a way to get over it? Ahhhhh
Hi! I'm on my gap year too :smile: I'm not sure what exactly you can do but maybe you could go to the city of your uni for a few days and stay in a hotel. You could go and do some exploring or just go to the uni campus or something like this maybe and see if you can see yourself there. Sorry this may be a super bad idea
Reply 2
Original post by Saskialou27
There’s so much to this so I’m trying to keep it as brief as possible because I could go on for days!
I’m currently 19 (and a week!) working in retail for 8.75 an hour which is isn’t bad at all but I’m planning on going to uni next year, I’m currently on a “gap year” so working as many hours as I can to have savings there. I want to go to uni to study equine science, I have been offered a place for next September and there’s nothing stopping me from going... apart from myself. I am absolutely petrified. Leaving home, leaving my parents, my boyfriend, being alone, transferring jobs, not knowing anyone. I literally feel like I can’t go to uni and achieve my dreams because of my anxiety and I feel so so stupid for it, i literally have another 9 months until I go (if I do 😬) but I think about it everyday. Is anyone else like this? Is there a way to get over it? Ahhhhh

Don’t feel stupid, it’s a big step! See how you’re feeling in a few months? Make sure you’re 100% down for the course and it shouldn’t stop you! It’s okay to constantly think about it, how far is the uni from home? There are always student services on campus to help with anxiety
Reply 3
Original post by ~Sugar~
Don’t feel stupid, it’s a big step! See how you’re feeling in a few months? Make sure you’re 100% down for the course and it shouldn’t stop you! It’s okay to constantly think about it, how far is the uni from home? There are always student services on campus to help with anxiety

It’s only about an hour away and I drive so it eases my anxiety knowing I’m not too far away and can always drive home if anything happens!

It is a scary thing to think about however if you think about it separately it doesn't become as big of an issue as you may think. I tend to break things up to get through it. For example with parents and boyfriend, you can always facetime call and text, everyday if you need to at the beginning of the year. Next is you won't be alone. If you're living on campus you'll have flat mates and course mates at uni. People you'll have to see every week more than once so it'll be natural you start talking and just a hi will work. Don't forget everyone is in the same boat and will be open to making a new friend to feel more comfortable even if it's just to get started at uni. I hope this helps but I know it's a hard fear to overcome. Has the gap year made you feel more confident in your self? I'm.just curious as I'm.in a gap year myself.
Original post by 15TAPoulton
It is a scary thing to think about however if you think about it separately it doesn't become as big of an issue as you may think. I tend to break things up to get through it. For example with parents and boyfriend, you can always facetime call and text, everyday if you need to at the beginning of the year. Next is you won't be alone. If you're living on campus you'll have flat mates and course mates at uni. People you'll have to see every week more than once so it'll be natural you start talking and just a hi will work. Don't forget everyone is in the same boat and will be open to making a new friend to feel more comfortable even if it's just to get started at uni. I hope this helps but I know it's a hard fear to overcome. Has the gap year made you feel more confident in your self? I'm.just curious as I'm.in a gap year myself.

I wish I took a gap year so you guys are clever hahaha!
Reply 6
Original post by 15TAPoulton

I think it has made me more confident in myself but less confident in education and my capabilities to go to uni because I’ve stretched it out longer!
Thank you for your reply.
Everyone has quite rational concerns about going away to University - it's a big life change. In the vast majority of cases, after a short natural period of adjustment, students find that they enjoy the greater freedoms and experiences that living away from home offers.

There are many helpful YouTube videos around the whole topic - suggest that it might help to check some of those out, too.

Try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIkqkt2ICHw or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FkeXLZkulM

A
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi there @Saskialou27

You've already had good advice in your replies I can only add too.

As @Mr Aitch says, moving to university is a big step, so feeling a bit nervous or anxious about this step is completely understandable. The thing to remember is why you want to go to university and ensure that's your drive and aim.

You will make new friends at university and every fresher will be in the same boat as you. Many universities have fresher groups set up before hand so you can contact your new flatmates or people off your course before you even arrive, which can help reduce your nerves!

Fi :horse:

Hi!

Congrats on your place, that's fantastic :smile:

Don't feel stupid. It's completely normal to feel this way, and there'll be so many people in the exact same boat as you. I was also really terrified for university, I didn't believe in my capabilities and I was so nervous about meeting new people, but come my Graduation I was desperate to go back to uni! Your confidence grows, you learn new skills, meet new people and passionate lecturers, experience exciting opportunities. So although it may seem daunting at first, you soon settle in and get used to uni life :smile:

Are there any Facebook groups for people starting on the same course as you? I know there was for mine, and a few people would write posts introducing themselves and add each other as friends, it might be worth a try finding some sort of group online for your course or Freshers starting at the same time as you. You might recognise a few faces then once you start your course.

Good luck with everything!

Becky
Hi😀I'm doing an equine science course too! I've just finished my first year and it's amazing. If you love horses it's a fantastic experience, I don't even feel like I'm in education anymore cause everyday I come home and can't stop talking about all the amazing things we've done. I don't know which uni you want to go to, but there is something called BUCS 😂 where equine uni teams all across the country compete against one another. You ride horses from another college and compete in show jumping and dressage. That would be an amazing thing to get involved in. Our team at Myerscough have training sessions every week, and you don't need to be in the team to train but you get to join in with fun socials,movie nights, an equine ball etc. Honestly it's the best thing I've ever done! Moving is hard but I promise it will all be worth it to play with ponies for a living!! Do what will make you happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending