The Student Room Group

Backing up laptop files

Just wondering

A) How many of you have your data backed up on your laptop entirelt

B) How best to back up all my files cost and time efficiently - does DropBox/OneDrive have enough room when used for free + is there a way for your files to automatically be uploaded onto it?
I use Acronis True Image - have used it successfully (through several major upgrade versions) for around 7 years...it's not free - but you'd pay almost anything to get some data back, sometimes!

https://www.acronis.com/en-gb/lp/personal/sem

A
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Aitch
I use Acronis True Image - have used it successfully (through several major upgrade versions) for around 7 years...it's not free - but you'd pay almost anything to get some data back, sometimes!

https://www.acronis.com/en-gb/lp/personal/sem

A

Which package do you have, size wise?
If you're a student then you have 1TB storage on one drive available for free when you register with your academic email address. In my opinion, it is easier to have files on onedrive then work from it by downloading one drive to your laptop and editing the files as needed.
Original post by Chichaldo
Just wondering

A) How many of you have your data backed up on your laptop entirelt

B) How best to back up all my files cost and time efficiently - does DropBox/OneDrive have enough room when used for free + is there a way for your files to automatically be uploaded onto it?

back all your files onto google drive
Original post by Chichaldo
Which package do you have, size wise?

The 'Advanced' Package - once configured, it just works away invisibly in the background, doing incremental runs. If the laptop is shutdown, then it will hold it open long enough to do a controlled end of backup in W10 ("Windows is currently performing operations and will be shut down once completed,,,") for about 30 secs.

Very happy with it.

A
I didn't realize when I bought the MS Office package i got a 1 TB one drive storage along with it as well. 100% of my files are on the drive accessible on any device. Convenient stuff.
I use a combination of backup routines.

Easiest and simplest and most secure is the procedure on my linux server. Data is backed up automatically onto an i3 computer with a mechanical hard drive that I got for free. Using an over the network back-up using the free (open source) operating system tools.
From time to time I disconnect the server from the network, temporarily reconfigure the router and test the back-up server.
This is not only data backup, it's disastor recovery.

For windows backups I copy my data onto either 2 usb drives or 1 usb drive plus 1 other computer.

Onedrive is fine as long as you can get it for free or don't mind paying the subscriptions to Microsoft.
I'm more of an Open Source guy and don't see why I should pay for anything when I can get good enough alternatives for free.

BTW any files stored on Onedrive are backed up. That's because backups are made of the data centre servers that Microsoft use to store your data. IE Microsoft handles the backups for you. However, if you delete a file from Onedrive, all the copies of that data will be deleted. Simple answer: create one or more backup or archive folders in Onedrive and copy your main Onedrive data into that. So that at any time you have 2 or more copies of your data on Onedrive. If you are worried about your Onedrive account getting hacked, encrypt your archive folders with a different secure password.
domt yet have anything too important so I just stick everything on to OneDrive. I pay £6 per month for office and have a windows 10 laptops so it's piss easy.

I'll probably go for the external drive route eventually.
Reply 9
I know that partition recovery is a very difficult procedure. I had to spend the whole night recovering documents that affected my studies. After that, I always make backups.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending