The Student Room Group

Which uni?

Okay, im applying for psychology but i'm stuck between these three:
All have same grade requirements apart from RHUL which is lower
- Sussex
: near brighton so lots to do and beach, not too far but still quite far from home, I liked the neuroscience and psychology course but now i'm having doubts, could apply for scholarship

-Royal Holloway
- very pretty, close to home, good rep for psychology, lower grade requirements but doesn't seem like a lot to do there, not sure about the course either.

-St Andrews
- very pretty, great reputation, nice location, like the course, very very far from home, might be less lenient if I miss my grades on results day, cold, 4 year course so more money.

Any advice would be amazing!
Original post by apspirei
- Sussex
: near brighton so lots to do and beach, not too far but still quite far from home, I liked the neuroscience and psychology course but now i'm having doubts, could apply for scholarship

-Royal Holloway
- very pretty, close to home, good rep for psychology, lower grade requirements but doesn't seem like a lot to do there, not sure about the course either.

-St Andrews
- very pretty, great reputation, nice location, like the course, very very far from home, might be less lenient if I miss my grades on results day, cold, 4 year course so more money.

St Andrews is probably the most prestigious, but it's so far away. If you can put up with the journeys it's probably the best.
I have a few friends at Royal Holloway doing Music or Computer Science and it seems like a pretty nice place.
Don't know much about Sussex :c
Reply 2
Original post by -Imperator-
St Andrews is probably the most prestigious, but it's so far away. If you can put up with the journeys it's probably the best.
I have a few friends at Royal Holloway doing Music or Computer Science and it seems like a pretty nice place.
Don't know much about Sussex :c

yeah i like st. andrews it’s just the distance :/ but thank you so much!
Reply 3
St Andrews is one of my dream universities. If I were you, I would choose St Andrews.
St Andrews, although very prestigious, has its cons since it's 4 years long and since the location's extremely far from where you are and the complete opposite of London. You should really visit it before you commit. I remember I always had the image that I'd enjoy a place much smaller or larger than my hometown, but it was always something a little too idyllic and unrealistic.
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
St Andrews, although very prestigious, has its cons since it's 4 years long and since the location's extremely far from where you are and the complete opposite of London. You should really visit it before you commit. I remember I always had the image that I'd enjoy a place much smaller or larger than my hometown, but it was always something a little too idyllic and unrealistic.

Yeah i understand that. I definitely would visit but i have to apply tomorrow and because it’s so far i can’t visit before sending off my application so it’s a bit difficult
Yeah i understand that. I definitely would visit but i have to apply tomorrow and because it’s so far i can’t visit before sending off my application so it’s a bit difficult

What are your predicted grades and where else are you applying?
Reply 7
What are your predicted grades and where else are you applying?

A*A*A but i feel like A*AB is more likely imo. I’m applying to Bristol, Durham and Exeter. I’m trying to narrow down the final two
A*A*A but i feel like A*AB is more likely imo. I’m applying to Bristol, Durham and Exeter. I’m trying to narrow down the final two

I think you really should consider 2 universities that might give you lower offers. You don't need 4 or 5 major ones. I'm guessing your first choice would be one of Bristol, Durham or Exeter? For your 4th and 5th, consider these: Sussex, Royal Holloway, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester etc.

Actually, I'd definitely recommend Royal Holloway. It's the only one that's closest to your home and it'll most likely be the lowest offer. You never know - anything could happen and you might want or, even, need an option to fall back to. Funnily enough, Edinburgh was my last option and I definitely didn't want to study there as I was from Edinburgh. I didn't even go to the open day and I waited until the very last day to firm my choices and I went for Edinburgh. :lol: Quite a lot of things happened and I'm grateful that I had Edinburgh to fall back to. :rambo:

i think it was you i was telling that in my first year in Sallies hall, it was about 40% American and I felt ridiculous saying how far I'd come from London to a bunch of people from California, Seattle and Houston (although most pf the Americans are from the East coast). The 6 hour train from Kings Cross to Leuchars via Edinburgh is very comfortable and always felt a bit of an adventure with the Scottish coast being particularly lovely! and of course you have the option of Ryanair and Easyjet.
Reply 10
I think you really should consider 2 universities that might give you lower offers. You don't need 4 or 5 major ones. I'm guessing your first choice would be one of Bristol, Durham or Exeter? For your 4th and 5th, consider these: Sussex, Royal Holloway, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester etc.

Actually, I'd definitely recommend Royal Holloway. It's the only one that's closest to your home and it'll most likely be the lowest offer. You never know - anything could happen and you might want or, even, need an option to fall back to. Funnily enough, Edinburgh was my last option and I definitely didn't want to study there as I was from Edinburgh. I didn't even go to the open day and I waited until the very last day to firm my choices and I went for Edinburgh. :lol: Quite a lot of things happened and I'm grateful that I had Edinburgh to fall back to. :rambo:

yeah that’s true. so should i eliminate St. andrews all together? or choose St A and Royal Holloway as my final twooo ahhh this is difficult because i also like Sussex and Nottingham. wish it wasn’t limited to 5. haha glad you’re enjoying Edinburgh
yeah that’s true. so should i eliminate St. andrews all together? or choose St A and Royal Holloway as my final twooo ahhh this is difficult because i also like Sussex and Nottingham. wish it wasn’t limited to 5. haha glad you’re enjoying Edinburgh

I would definitely get rid of St Andrews or replace one your first three universities with it. Choose Royal Holloway and either Sussex or Nottingham as your final one. What do Royal Holloway, Sussex and Notts say regarding offer requirements?

Thanks but I've actually already graduated from my undergrad! Been 2 years now. :tongue:
Reply 12
I would definitely get rid of St Andrews or replace one your first three universities with it. Choose Royal Holloway and either Sussex or Nottingham as your final one. What do Royal Holloway, Sussex and Notts say regarding offer requirements?

Thanks but I've actually already graduated from my undergrad! Been 2 years now. :tongue:

Notts and Sussex both have same entry requirements as St A but i’ve heard Sussex often lowers offers sometimes. Yeah it’s so tough cause i haven’t visited Bristol but i like the options of St A. doesn’t look like i’ll be getting much sleep tonight...
Reply 13
Notts and Sussex both have same entry requirements as St A but i’ve heard Sussex often lowers offers sometimes. Yeah it’s so tough cause i haven’t visited Bristol but i like the options of St A. doesn’t look like i’ll be getting much sleep tonight...

Sorry didn’t mention specifics. St A Notts and Sussex ask for AAB and RH asks for ABB
- Sussex

-Royal Holloway

-St Andrews

I would keep ST Andrews in the mix and pick one insurance uni.However why do you have to pick them all by tomorrow.You can pick 3 now and add on the other two before Jan 15th.
Sorry didn’t mention specifics. St A Notts and Sussex ask for AAB and RH asks for ABB

I think you should go with Durham, Exeter, Bristol, Royal Holloway and Sussex/Lancaster (something with low entry requirements). Even though St Andrews is prestigious, I think Bristol would be a safer choice in terms of location, fees and comfort.

@Scotney has also given good advice. That said, your final two could be Royal Hollow and St Andrews or Sussex. :rambo:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Scotney
I would keep ST Andrews in the mix and pick one insurance uni.However why do you have to pick them all by tomorrow.You can pick 3 now and add on the other two before Jan 15th.

i’d love to but my school won’t let me send off my application without putting all 5 courses
I do not know why schools do this maybe it is just easier for them.However you can swap choices up to 14 days after receiving your UCAS welcome email just follow the instructions carefully.
Original post by Scotney
I do not know why schools do this maybe it is just easier for them.However you can swap choices up to 14 days after receiving your UCAS welcome email just follow the instructions carefully.

Finally course content is very important so do pick what interests you.In the interest of transparency I loved Bristol as a place to visit but not as a uni.There is no real hub to the uni it is spread around town and the main halls of residence are a soulless place 20-30 mins away.But horses for courses I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest