The Student Room Group

Art Foundation course

I am looking to apply to an Art Foundation course this year that does an "all-rounder" in order to then apply for an undergraduate course in the chosen art and design branch. I am looking for a foundation in London, private or public. Suggestions?
(edited 4 years ago)
CSM, Morley, Camberwell, city lit.
Original post by sma.e
I am looking to apply to an Art Foundation course this year that does an "all-rounder" in order to then apply for an undergraduate course in the chosen art and design branch. I am looking for a foundation in London, private or public. Suggestions?

Hi there !
I’m so happy to hear that your interested in doing a foundation year ! I carried out the year at the foundation offered by Central Saint Martins (CSM) and it was honestly the greatest year ever! I would advice that you look into both of the foundation diploma courses we offer at UAL , as we offer one at CSM as well as at Camberwell (CCW) . I’ve attached some links below so that you can begin your research of both foundation courses !

CSM foundation- https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/3d-design-and-product-design/pre-degree-courses/foundation-diploma-in-art-and-design-csm

CCW foundation-https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/fine-art/pre-degree-courses/foundation-diploma-in-art-and-design-camberwell

Hope that helps!
Memunatu - UAL Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by sma.e

Hiya! I am an ex student from the Royal Drawing School Foundation Year so can tell you everything you need to know about their foundation.

We did many different modules at RDS, including photography, printmaking, animation, painting/drawing from life and so many more! When I was studying there, the first term was mainly workshops, introducing us into all the different mediums/skills we could use within our works. We had one day a week to do our own professional development (i.e our own project) and as the terms progressed we had more days on this as at the end you display your personal work in the Foundation Year exhibition.

It's a full on course as it is five days a week but I wouldn't have had it any other way as it's only a year! I learnt so much in my time at RDS- it completely changed the way i approached art and it helped me develop my own way of thinking.

I was interested mostly in painting so on my personal project days I would paint in my studio space. I found this was a perfect balance of learning new skills whilst developing my own art/ themes within my art. The course focuses a lot on painting and drawing from life- we must have had at least (if not more) one life drawing session a week. Most times we would draw from life models that came in but sometimes we drew from still lives and the urban environment around us.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, and good luck with your applications/portfolio!

Oonagh Quinn

Quick Reply

Latest