The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Placements at Chester

Hi,

Im planning on commuting from greater Manchester to Chester if I get a place on their primary education course. To anyone who does it - do you like it? Also are the school based placements local to Chester or local to your home address?
Hi,

You can contact some of our students directly on our website at www1.chester.ac.uk/ask. Jonathon commutes into University, so he'll be able to answer any questions regarding this. Also, we would recommend contacting our Faculty of Education as they will be able to provide information on the placements they offer, their email address is [email protected].

We hope this helps. :smile:
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey,

I’ve been accepted to study Adult Nursing at Chester, on the 2 year postgraduate course 😁 very excited!

I’m just concerned as I live in north wales, and will be commuting for my placements.
Just wondered if anyone who currently commutes for placements can give me some advice and is it worth me doing?

Any help and an insight into nursing would be great!

Thank you!
Lucy
Reply 3
Original post by lucey101
Hey,

I’ve been accepted to study Adult Nursing at Chester, on the 2 year postgraduate course 😁 very excited!

I’m just concerned as I live in north wales, and will be commuting for my placements.
Just wondered if anyone who currently commutes for placements can give me some advice and is it worth me doing?

Any help and an insight into nursing would be great!

Thank you!
Lucy

Hi Lucy, I graduated from UoC 2 months ago and am now an RN. Chester's placement areas cover pretty much all of Cheshire, the Wirral and Warrington, however, presuming you're going to be based in Chester then your placements are most likely going to be in and around Chester/Ellesmere Port. Many of my colleagues from my cohort commuted, including one who lives on Anglesey - it's hard work but worth it.
You'll be spending a lot of time on your feet while on placement, I cannot stress enough of making sure you have some really comfy, sturdy shoes. You'll also find which area of nursing you prefer (usually an area of surgery or medicine, or community).
If you've got any questions, feel free to ask & I'll answer if I can.
Emily
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
Hi Lucy, I graduated from UoC 2 months ago and am now an RN. Chester's placement areas cover pretty much all of Cheshire, the Wirral and Warrington, however, presuming you're going to be based in Chester then your placements are most likely going to be in and around Chester/Ellesmere Port. Many of my colleagues from my cohort commuted, including one who lives on Anglesey - it's hard work but worth it.
You'll be spending a lot of time on your feet while on placement, I cannot stress enough of making sure you have some really comfy, sturdy shoes. You'll also find which area of nursing you prefer (usually an area of surgery or medicine, or community).
If you've got any questions, feel free to ask & I'll answer if I can.
Emily

Hi Emily,

Thank you for replying! I definitely needed to hear this!
How did you find the studying at Chester ? Honestly ?

Yes I’ve heard you need good footwear!

I will definitely be in touch if I need some more advice

Lucy x
Reply 5
Original post by lucey101
Hi Emily,

Thank you for replying! I definitely needed to hear this!
How did you find the studying at Chester ? Honestly ?

Yes I’ve heard you need good footwear!

I will definitely be in touch if I need some more advice

Lucy x

Honestly? I really enjoyed some placements, others not so much but made sure to learn something from the not so enjoyable ones. Can say the exact same about the uni modules. From what I've seen people say on here, that tends to be standard for what people find about nursing courses. I probably found it slightly easier living within walking distance of Riverside Campus and the Countess of Chester Hospital. Most of my taught time tended to be in Riverside building. All the nursing/health and social care library books are in the library there, which helps (also for access to a computer to dart across there to do any printing!)
Just a warning - even if you do get yourself a uni parking pass, student ones don't work for Riverside due to so little parking there, however do work for (very close by) Queen's Park or, alternatively, there's a council car park really close by.
Original post by Emily_B
Honestly? I really enjoyed some placements, others not so much but made sure to learn something from the not so enjoyable ones. Can say the exact same about the uni modules. From what I've seen people say on here, that tends to be standard for what people find about nursing courses. I probably found it slightly easier living within walking distance of Riverside Campus and the Countess of Chester Hospital. Most of my taught time tended to be in Riverside building. All the nursing/health and social care library books are in the library there, which helps (also for access to a computer to dart across there to do any printing!)
Just a warning - even if you do get yourself a uni parking pass, student ones don't work for Riverside due to so little parking there, however do work for (very close by) Queen's Park or, alternatively, there's a council car park really close by.

Hey! I’ve received an offer for Chester to do children’s nursing starting sep 2020, Have you got any more information on parking at the Riverside campus? Costing etc? As I will be doing a lot of driving and it’s mainly my only concern! Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by LottieLou96
Hey! I’ve received an offer for Chester to do children’s nursing starting sep 2020, Have you got any more information on parking at the Riverside campus? Costing etc? As I will be doing a lot of driving and it’s mainly my only concern! Thank you!

I have no idea how much a university parking permit costs (I never needed one as I live in Chester!) but, as I say, bear in mind that a student permit doesn't get you into Riverside car park but works for Queens Park (5 mins or so walk away). Council owned Little Roodee carpark is significantly closer, which (I think) costs around £4-£5 a day.
Original post by Emily_B
I have no idea how much a university parking permit costs (I never needed one as I live in Chester!) but, as I say, bear in mind that a student permit doesn't get you into Riverside car park but works for Queens Park (5 mins or so walk away). Council owned Little Roodee carpark is significantly closer, which (I think) costs around £4-£5 a day.

Okay, thank you so much! Yeah, I looked at little roodee car park and it’s about £95 a month off peak😮

Hi
How long after interview did you hear from Chester and was it via email or post?!
Well done for getting your place 😁
Original post by Tracy Howard 84
Hi
How long after interview did you hear from Chester and was it via email or post?!
Well done for getting your place 😁

Hey, thank you! I applied on 14th October and heard back from them within a couple of weeks and my interview was on the 5th November, I heard back that night about my offer! What have you applied for?😁
Hey, thank you! I applied on 14th October and heard back from them within a couple of weeks and my interview was on the 5th November, I heard back that night about my offer! What have you applied for?😁

Children’s nursing I had my interview Monday but my UCAS Track still says they are considering me for an interview, it’s not been updated since Nov.... so I don’t know what’s going on. Did you get an email?
Children’s nursing I had my interview Monday but my UCAS Track still says they are considering me for an interview, it’s not been updated since Nov.... so I don’t know what’s going on. Did you get an email?

Brill!! How do you think it went?😁 I’m sure it doesn’t mean anything that you haven’t heard back yet. It could be because they have more applications to go through at the moment and it could just be slowing the process down! Hopefully it won’t be too much longer until you find out😊 I received an email and my track was updated on the 5th November😊
Brill!! How do you think it went?😁 I’m sure it doesn’t mean anything that you haven’t heard back yet. It could be because they have more applications to go through at the moment and it could just be slowing the process down! Hopefully it won’t be too much longer until you find out😊 I received an email and my track was updated on the 5th November😊

I answered everything if that means I did ok 😂 I think it was alright I just really want Chester so I’m worrying I’m not in 🙁
Thank you
I answered everything if that means I did ok 😂 I think it was alright I just really want Chester so I’m worrying I’m not in 🙁
Thank you

I’m sure you did brilliantly! Have you applied anywhere else?
I’m sure you did brilliantly! Have you applied anywhere else?

Thank you so much... I have two more interviews for Stafford and keele so fingers crossed 😬 hate interviews 😫
Thank you so much... I have two more interviews for Stafford and keele so fingers crossed 😬 hate interviews 😫

It will be fine! I’ve had my interview for Keele already and I would say that it is more relaxed than Chester. I’m still waiting to hear back from them. I don’t know about Stafford as I didn’t apply there! I would say the main thing to do with interviews is just prepare as much as possible!
It will be fine! I’ve had my interview for Keele already and I would say that it is more relaxed than Chester. I’m still waiting to hear back from them. I don’t know about Stafford as I didn’t apply there! I would say the main thing to do with interviews is just prepare as much as possible!

Thank you,

I felt prepared I just get nervous (as does most people!!) good luck 👍🏻
Thank you,

I felt prepared I just get nervous (as does most people!!) good luck 👍🏻

Being nervous is good though, it just shows them that you care!😁😁 Thank you, good luck to you aswell! Let me know if you get a place!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending