The Student Room Group

Class difference at uni

I'm coming to the end of Michaelmas term at Durham and throughout the term I've noticed the class difference here at uni. What are your experiences with it? For me, I've not encountered a single problem so far with regards to being working class in a sometimes middle/higher class environment. I've just felt the same, and also welcomed by whomever I meet, really. Before coming here, the class thing was made into something bigger and badder that I don't think is necessarily true or as true as my working class friends think.
Also, do you working class people think that you've turned a little posher since coming here (or since going to any uni with a large population of posh people)? I asked my friend with whom I went to sixth form and she said my accent has changed a lot but I don't think it has drastically changed. I'm still mostly who I was before coming here.
Original post by JosephCiderBwoy
I'm coming to the end of Michaelmas term at Durham and throughout the term I've noticed the class difference here at uni. What are your experiences with it? For me, I've not encountered a single problem so far with regards to being working class in a sometimes middle/higher class environment. I've just felt the same, and also welcomed by whomever I meet, really. Before coming here, the class thing was made into something bigger and badder that I don't think is necessarily true or as true as my working class friends think.
Also, do you working class people think that you've turned a little posher since coming here (or since going to any uni with a large population of posh people)? I asked my friend with whom I went to sixth form and she said my accent has changed a lot but I don't think it has drastically changed. I'm still mostly who I was before coming here.

Some people have talked about this on social media. I think people generally change to assimilate esp at Oxbridge, UCL, Manchester and Durham.

I am not from the background that you mentioned, so don't know.

People adapt to their surroundings or at least successful one do, so I expect you have become a little posher despite being at Durham for such a short time.

Michaelmas term? No one says that apart from people at posh unis
Original post by harrysbar
Michaelmas term? No one says that apart from people at posh unis

Michaelmas is the official name of our terms, and those of other universities lol, but I get your point
Michaelmas is the official name of our terms, and those of other universities lol, but I get your point

Yes I do know that but most other Unis don’t call it Michealmas, only the posh ones
Original post by harrysbar
Yes I do know that but most other Unis don’t call it Michealmas, only the posh ones

Posh like Swansea or posh like Lancaster😇
Original post by nulli tertius
Posh like Swansea or posh like Lancaster😇

Put it this way - my daughter went to Lancaster and although the uni may call it the Michaelmas term, the students don't.
Yes some times Durham can think it’s Oxbridge with gowns Michaelmas term etc. But you have assimilated well into your new environment. Show your friends that although your accent may have changed you are still the same person inside and of course you won’t suddenly turn your back on them
Original post by Oxford Mum
Yes some times Durham can think it’s Oxbridge with gowns Michaelmas term etc. But you have assimilated well into your new environment. Show your friends that although your accent may have changed you are still the same person inside and of course you won’t suddenly turn your back on them

It doesn't 'think' it's Oxbridge. Michaelmas is a Christian festival. It does not originate from Oxbridge. Also academic dress isn't exclusively an Oxbridge thing, and if you look at the Durham academic dress it differs greatly from that of Oxbridge. But apart from that I agree.
I dont think its really matters that much when it comes to class. You will get the odd one or two people that thinks themselves as more privileged than everyone else (and that even happens in working environments too), but generally everyone treats each other the same. Your accent may change slightly, but that usually happens when you hang around other people from other counties, its generally tends to rub off on you.
I'm from a working class background at an RG that has a fairly large privately educated population and I was worried about the imposter effect before coming. But what surprised me quite a lot is that the few I've met from similar backgrounds seem to have a bit more grit behind them and on my course the top performing are from those backgrounds. Many of the underperformers are from fairly wealthy backgrounds. So personally I haven't felt very influenced by the class difference in terms of my work ethic, general approach to things, way I carry myself, etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ghostlady
I dont think its really matters that much when it comes to class. You will get the odd one or two people that thinks themselves as more privileged than everyone else (and that even happens in working environments too), but generally everyone treats each other the same. Your accent may change slightly, but that usually happens when you hang around other people from other counties, its generally tends to rub off on you.

Absolutely, I've really bonded with my Italian class, most of whom are privately educated, and they're lovely.
Original post by Diplomatic
I'm from a working class background at an RG that has a fairly large privately educated population and I was worried about the imposter effect before coming. But what surprised me quite a lot is that the few I've met from similar backgrounds seem to have a bit more grit behind them and on my course the top performing are from those backgrounds. Many of the underperformers are from fairly wealthy backgrounds. So personally I haven't felt very influenced by the class difference in terms of my work ethic, general approach to things, way I carry myself, etc.

I never really went through imposter syndrome, but I did feel slightly inadequate when I went on a date with this rich boy, but I quickly put things in perspective and realised he's no worse or better than me because he's got money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending