The Student Room Group

derivative of tan^-1(y)

hi im currently trying to differentiate tan-1y + xy = 0

xy i have no problem with but im not really sure on how to approach tan-1y
i googled how to differentiate tan-1x and it came up w 1 / x2+1

idk if im right in assuming that differentiating tan-1y would give a different answer- i did:
x = tan-1y
tanx = y
sec2x = 1 * dy/dx
sec2x = dy/dx
tan2x+1 = dy/dx
dy/dx = y2+1

any pointers??
Reply 1
Original post by entertainmyfaith
hi im currently trying to differentiate tan-1y + xy = 0

xy i have no problem with but im not really sure on how to approach tan-1y

idk if im right in assuming that differentiating tan-1y would give a different answer- i did:
x = tan-1y
tanx = y
sec2x = 1 * dy/dx
sec2x = dy/dx
tan2x+1 = dy/dx
dy/dx = y2+1

any pointers??

Are you trying to differentiate tan-1y + xy = 0 with respect to x or y?
Original post by Sir Cumference
Are you trying to differentiate tan-1y + xy = 0 with respect to x or y?

well the textbook says to find dy/dx of the expression in terms of x and y if that helps?:s-smilie:

So your derivative for arctany\arctan y wrt xx is going to be 1y2+1\dfrac{1}{y^2 + 1} with a factor of dydx \dfrac{dy}{dx} by the side. This is just implicit differentiation.
Reply 4
well the textbook says to find dy/dx of the expression in terms of x and y if that helps?:s-smilie:

That means you should differentiate wrt x (you could also do y but there will be an extra step). I recommend using different variables to find the general derivative of tan^-1 so you don't get confused:

s=tan1ts=\tan^{-1} t

Your aim is to find dsdt\frac{ds}{dt}. If you follow the same process as you did before then you'll end up with

dtds=t2+1\frac{dt}{ds} = t^2+1

So what's dsdt\frac{ds}{dt}?
That means you should differentiate wrt x (you could also do y but there will be an extra step). I recommend using different variables to find the general derivative of tan^-1 so you don't get confused:

s=tan1ts=\tan^{-1} t

Your aim is to find dsdt\frac{ds}{dt}. If you follow the same process as you did before then you'll end up with

dtds=t2+1\frac{dt}{ds} = t^2+1

So what's dsdt\frac{ds}{dt}?

1 / t2+1 ?
Original post by RDKGames
So your derivative for arctany\arctan y wrt xx is going to be 1y2+1\dfrac{1}{y^2 + 1} with a factor of dydx \dfrac{dy}{dx} by the side. This is just implicit differentiation.

thank you :awesome: we weren't really taught about differentiating inverse trig functions so had no idea what to do first :redface:
Reply 7
1 / t2+1 ?

Yes that’s the derivative of tan^(-1)t.

So going back to your original question, can you find the derivative with respect to x now you know what the general derivative of tan inverse is? It’s just like differentiating sin(y) with respect to x.
Yes that’s the derivative of tan^(-1)t.

So going back to your original question, can you find the derivative with respect to x now you know what the general derivative of tan inverse is? It’s just like differentiating sin(y) with respect to x.

wrt x; does that mean you put the dy/dx after?
1 / y2+1 * dy/dx?
Reply 9
1 / y2+1 * dy/dx?

Yep
1 / y2+1 * dy/dx?

Because chain rule; ddxarctan(y)=dydxddyarctany\dfrac{d}{dx} \arctan(y) = \dfrac{dy}{dx} \cdot \dfrac{d}{dy} \arctan y
Yep

thank you i mostly understand it now!! i presume these type of questions could appear in the paper then?:redface:
Reply 12
thank you i mostly understand it now!! i presume these type of questions could appear in the paper then?:redface:

Well that's an interesting one and it's hard to know for sure whether differentiation of inverse trig functions could be in the exam. See here for a discussion about this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5817618
Reply 13

I should have asked what you meant by "these type of questions". If you mean implicit differentiation questions then yes they could definitely come up.

I've also assumed you're doing Edexcel but I should have asked.
Well that's an interesting one and it's hard to know for sure whether differentiation of inverse trig functions could be in the exam. See here for a discussion about this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5817618

I should have asked what you meant by "these type of questions". If you mean implicit differentiation questions then yes they could definitely come up.

I've also assumed you're doing Edexcel but I should have asked.

yeah i meant differentiation of inverse trig functions
i'm doing aqa :ninja:
Reply 15
yeah i meant differentiation of inverse trig functions
i'm doing aqa :ninja:

If it's in the AQA textbook then it could be in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest