The Student Room Group

Splitting the bill- opinions?

Okay so, I just watched this clip on YouTube of first dates and the woman said she didn’t want to split the bill initially because she is ‘traditional’ but after hearing about the guys situation she decided to split it. Regardless of any situation for me personally as a woman I 100% prefer splitting the bill because if I eat then that’s only fair right? Also I know a lot of people who go on about women’s right but then they think the man should pay. What are your opinions on this? I’m curious :smile:

Link to Clip> https://youtu.be/uhl3-Y1H2js (you can skip to 0:50)

Scroll to see replies

I find it useful in some ways but not always. For me, I just prefer buying my own food/meal separately. I hate contributing money to some else's things, especially when they order so much and the total comes to a lot lol.
How about just spend your own money and pay the bill yourself.
If you’re not in a relationship then you should split the bill. Why should the man pay?
If you are in a proper relationship then you can decide between yourselves. Take it in turns. If you’re invited for a special occasion then whoever invited you would probably pay but don’t assume.
When you live together/are married,it most likely all comes from the same pot anyway. So it doesn’t matter
Why would you assume that you can get away with not paying your fair share?
Reply 3
Original post by commentsection
I find it useful in some ways but not always. For me, I just prefer buying my own food/meal separately. I hate contributing money to some else's things, especially when they order so much and the total comes to a lot lol.
How about just spend your own money and pay the bill yourself.

Yeah true I agree with this. I do usually do this but I split at certain places where we share the food like with pizza sometimes.
Reply 4
Original post by Sammylou40
If you’re not in a relationship then you should split the bill. Why should the man pay?
If you are in a proper relationship then you can decide between yourselves. Take it in turns. If you’re invited for a special occasion then whoever invited you would probably pay but don’t assume.
When you live together/are married,it most likely all comes from the same pot anyway. So it doesn’t matter
Why would you assume that you can get away with not paying your fair share?

Exactly! Being in a relationship kinda changes it but if it’s like a first date then I can’t see why the woman shouldn’t pay because surely she’s not just there for the food?
First dates always split. Until you get a bit more serious and figure out who earns more and by how much etc then you can pay according to circumstances.
Original post by Alisha300
Okay so, I just watched this clip on YouTube of first dates and the woman said she didn’t want to split the bill initially because she is ‘traditional’ but after hearing about the guys situation she decided to split it. Regardless of any situation for me personally as a woman I 100% prefer splitting the bill because if I eat then that’s only fair right? Also I know a lot of people who go on about women’s right but then they think the man should pay. What are your opinions on this? I’m curious :smile:

Link to Clip> https://youtu.be/uhl3-Y1H2js (you can skip to 0:50)

She's not 'traditional'. She's a freeloader. Why should she not pay for her share of the meal? It's not 1950.

Women can be a bit selective in what they consider 'sexist' - holding a door open is sexist, but getting out to change a tyre in the pouring rain on the A23 is 'man's work'.

I'd view with suspicion any woman who regularly went out on 'dates' but never seemed to want to get her purse out. It spells trouble later down the line.
If it is a date then the person who invited the other should pay.
I am more than happy to split the bill, that woman who refused due to being 'traditional' is the same woman that complains that no guy takes her seriously or let her do her own thing.

If the guy offers to pay then i will offer to buy drinks.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
If it is a date then the person who invited the other should pay.

I think online dating has blurred this traditional approach now because 99% of the time it's the guys approaching the laydees. This would logically end up with women very rarely paying, which isn't right.
Reply 10
Original post by Bruinsgirl40
I am more than happy to split the bill, that woman who refused due to being 'traditional' is the same woman that complains that no guy takes her seriously or let her do her own thing.

If the guy offers to pay then i will offer to buy drinks.

Yeah I guess if she doesn’t want to pay and wants to be ‘traditional’ then I’m not sure why she has a problem with being told what to do
Original post by Alisha300
Yeah I guess if she doesn’t want to pay and wants to be ‘traditional’ then I’m not sure why she has a problem with being told what to do

I meant that women like that want to be traditional one day and then a feminist the other...
I'm happy to pay the total bill, particularly if it was a lousy date and I never want to hear from the guy again.
But I draw the line at being mistaken for a cash-point or interest free overdraft.

General rule seems to be that the person who asks to go on the date pays, whether it's a guy or girl.
Age, family traditions, politics and cultural norms can come into it.
Some people do not agree with the idea of allowing the other person to pay for them, others feel insulted at splitting the bill or resentful at paying for a date that did not go well.

Some women do have an expectation that the guy will pay for an expensive meal, in exchange for their company or something more.
Other women are willing to split the bill or pay it themselves, so that there is no sense of obligation.
I've heard a few guys say that they are willing to pay the bill but view it as an investment, then demand sex or further dates.
For me if I've been asked to be taken out and he has planned everything then it would be nice for him to pay and I do think he should but I would never EXPECT it and I don't think he HAS TO and will always always offer (even if I don't mean it ha ha).

I'm always happy to pay but I appreciate it if someone wants to pay for me, I think it shows a level of respect and care. Similarly if I like a guy and want to take him out and ask him out, I will expect to pay for it all because I have asked him. If he wants to pay or then split it we can decide between us. I think its about balance. In a relationship sometimes you split it, sometimes he pays, sometimes you pay. On a date if he offers to pay, I will buy the drinks. But this doesn't just stop at dates, for example I will take out close friends of mine and pay for their dinner.

Really its all just about the company though isn't it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
I think online dating has blurred this traditional approach now because 99% of the time it's the guys approaching the laydees. This would logically end up with women very rarely paying, which isn't right.

That is an excellent point. Perhaps the standard 50/50 is more appropriate, there is nothing I hate more than people calculating up their exact meal choices at the end of a meal.
there is nothing I hate more than people calculating up their exact meal choices at the end of a meal.

So do I - that whole 'but I only had two diet cokes and I definitely didn't have a coffee' thing.
So do I - that whole 'but I only had two diet cokes and I definitely didn't have a coffee' thing.

I have walked out of so many after work meals because of that kind of behaviour, I just throw my cut of cash down and leave the rest to squabble.
I have walked out of so many after work meals because of that kind of behaviour, I just throw my cut of cash down and leave the rest to squabble.

Same here. It's when someone starts using their calculator on their phone to add it up the penny - it's so unnecessary and embarrassing. I've done the same thing - chucked in £50 and left them to it, the penny pinching *******s
Same here. It's when someone starts using their calculator on their phone to add it up the penny - it's so unnecessary and embarrassing. I've done the same thing - chucked in £50 and left them to it, the penny pinching *******s

:five:

Do you want to go for dinner some time?
She's not 'traditional'. She's a freeloader. Why should she not pay for her share of the meal? It's not 1950.

Women can be a bit selective in what they consider 'sexist' - holding a door open is sexist, but getting out to change a tyre in the pouring rain on the A23 is 'man's work'.

I'd view with suspicion any woman who regularly went out on 'dates' but never seemed to want to get her purse out. It spells trouble later down the line.

Which is why she’s probably had to resort to trashy tv to get a date in the first place...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending