The Student Room Group

Changing university after a foundation year

I'm currently doing a foundation year in accounting and finance at a pretty low ranking university and i want to transfer to a better uni after I've finished the foundation year. Ideally I would like to transfer to one in the top 40 but i have no idea on how to do this.
I would like some advice on what to do and would also like for someone who has had experience on how they have dealt with this situation. Also i would like to ask what unis are willing to accept students who want to transfer after foundation year? Also wondering if my A levels would affect the process.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by EliteDS1234
I'm currently doing a foundation year in accounting and finance at a pretty low ranking university and i want to transfer to a better uni after I've finished the foundation year. Ideally I would like to transfer to one in the top 40 but i have no idea on how to do this.
I would like some advice on what to do and would also like for someone who has had experience on how they have dealt with this situation. Also i would like to ask what unis are willing to accept students who want to transfer after foundation year? Also wondering if my A levels would affect the process.

I did foundation year Physics a few years ago, coming off of diabolical A Level results, and managed to transfer to a completely different course (engineering) at a higher ranked university. So if you're trying to go from one place to another while remaining on the same course, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

I spent a lot of time making calls, emailing my foundation year modules and predicted grades, as well as the results I had been getting from coursework over the course of the semester. I would recommend that you do the same; call the admissions teams at the universities you'd want to transfer to, tell them about your circumstance and ask whether they would seriously consider your application before applying.

Only one university out of several wound up giving me an offer through UCAS, but luckily enough it was one of the few I really wanted to go to originally. They told me I needed 75% overall, as well as 75% in two specific modules. I found that the problems I encountered in getting offers were due to my foundation year modules being incompatible with the course I wanted to do. You, at least, most likely won't have this issue... again, assuming you're applying for the exact same course. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by noteverydaypls
I did foundation year Physics a few years ago, coming off of diabolical A Level results, and managed to transfer to a completely different course (engineering) at a higher ranked university. So if you're trying to go from one place to another while remaining on the same course, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

I spent a lot of time making calls, emailing my foundation year modules and predicted grades, as well as the results I had been getting from coursework over the course of the semester. I would recommend that you do the same; call the admissions teams at the universities you'd want to transfer to, tell them about your circumstance and ask whether they would seriously consider your application before applying.

Only one university out of several wound up giving me an offer through UCAS, but luckily enough it was one of the few I really wanted to go to originally. They told me I needed 75% overall, as well as 75% in two specific modules. I found that the problems I encountered in getting offers were due to my foundation year modules being incompatible with the course I wanted to do. You, at least, most likely won't have this issue... again, assuming you're applying for the exact same course. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your advice i really appreciate it
Original post by noteverydaypls

I know this was a long time ago but how did you transfer from the University. Did you just drop out of the old Uni & enrol at the new one. Any help would be appreciated
Original post by AvgUniStudent
I know this was a long time ago but how did you transfer from the University. Did you just drop out of the old Uni & enrol at the new one. Any help would be appreciated

You apply through UCAS.