The Student Room Group

what are the gcse requirement for law at Bristol and Warwick

what are the GCSE requirement for law in Bristol and Warwick and would you be excepted if you have 6666554433 at GCSE having a 4 in English language and maths and 5 in English literature. i am studying economics geography and sociology

Scroll to see replies

Check the universities prospectus it will tell you. Generally most universities require 5 GSCE passes at 4 or above including Maths and English Language. Some might require English Language and/or Maths at grade 6. If they state that you wont get in otherwise I suspect you should be. fine. If you dont have the required grade resit and put this on your UCAS form
Original post by mustafaAliShi
what are the GCSE requirement for law in Bristol and Warwick and would you be excepted if you have 6666554433 at GCSE having a 4 in English language and maths and 5 in English literature. i am studying economics geography and sociology

If you can't be bothered to look on uni websites for this information, will you really enjoy a course that involves doing a lot of research?
there is no need for you to say I haven't looked at the GCSE requirements because you don't know. if you were smart enough you would know that they don't say the GCSE requirements on the website. next time think before you type and there is no need for you to be negative on a website when someone is looking for help
there is no need for you to say I haven't looked at the GCSE requirements because you don't know. if you were smart enough you would know that they don't say the GCSE requirements on the website. next time think before you type and there is no need for you to be negative on a website when someone is looking for help

Where a university doesnt state GCSE requirement that means they have no specific requirement but they will normally expect English Language and possibly Maths at grade C. Most universities require at least 5 GCSE's at grade C or above including English and Maths as a minimum requirement and you are meeting that. @returnmigrant can you confirm the above.

There is no specific GCSE requirement for Law at Bristol. No, not even English or Maths.

The assessment for your overall application is 20% GCSE grades, 40% A levels etc, 40% LNAT.
So, your GCSE profile is still counted, but you do not need any specific subjects/grades.
A

Original post by returnmigrant
There is no specific GCSE requirement for Law at Bristol. No, not even English or Maths.

The assessment for your overall application is 20% GCSE grades, 40% A levels etc, 40% LNAT.
So, your GCSE profile is still counted, but you do not need any speci.fic subjects/grades.

Am I correct then that applicants could have no GCSEs and be accepted at Bristol
Original post by swanseajack1
Am I correct then that applicants could have no GCSEs and be accepted at Bristol

Technically, yes.
If Bristol states they are not required, then they are not required.
Technically, yes.
If Bristol states they are not required, then they are not required.

Given your experience do you know of anybody who has got in without any GCSEs at all or without English Language or Maths or with less than 5 GCSEs at C or 4 and above other than mature students or overseas applicants.
do you know of anybody who has got in without any GCSEs at all or without English Language or Maths or with less than 5 GCSEs at C or 4 and above other than mature students or overseas applicants.

If there is a reason why you dont have a full set of GCSEs then its quite possible - extenuating circumstances would apply and the GCSE element would be disregarded.

I don't have the statistics re. GCSEs vs successful applications, but anecdotally, I can can tell you that you do not need stellar GCSEs to get an offer - good A level predictions and/or LNAT easily compensate.
If there is a reason why you dont have a full set of GCSEs then its quite possible - extenuating circumstances would apply and the GCSE element would be disregarded.

I don't have the statistics re. GCSEs vs successful applications, but anecdotally, I can can tell you that you do not need stellar GCSEs to get an offer - good A level predictions and/or LNAT easily compensate.

So have you yourself ever come across anyone getting in without at least grade C in English Language.
So have you yourself ever come across anyone getting in without at least grade C in English Language.

I have no idea.
Why do you want to know this?
I have no idea.
Why do you want to know this?

I have now requested the information under FOI from Bristol university. I find it very odd that a university with a reputation like Bristol's would accept someone for a Law course without a minimum of English Language or Welsh first language at grade C and above and usually at least 5 passes at that level. This might be different for mature or overseas stu.dents so the university have been advised to ignore those

Warwick requirements are clearly stated on their website

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry/

dude...
I have now requested the information under FOI from Bristol university. I find it very odd that a university with a reputation like Bristol's would accept someone for a Law course without a minimum of English Language or Welsh first language at grade C and above and usually at least 5 passes at that level. This might be different for mature or overseas students so the university have been advised to ignore those

In reality all UK applicants will have this, or be retaking it - and the chances of anyone not having at least grade C English when they are expecting grade As at A levels is unlikely. I dont quite understand why you are bothered by this non-requirement.
In reality all UK applicants will have this, or be retaking it - and the chances of anyone not having at least grade C English when they are expecting grade As at A levels is unlikely. I dont quite understand why you are bothered by this non-requirement.

In all fairness, I don't think the user is bothered. It is just a bit of a shock because the majority of universities, for any course, require at least 5 passes.
Original post by Euphoria101
In all fairness, I don't think the user is bothered. It is just a bit of a shock because the majority of universities, for any course, require at least 5 passes.

And is there any evidence that that selects 'better' students?
And is there any evidence that that selects 'better' students?

You’re just trying to be annoying now. All we said was that it’s surprising because most universities have one.
Original post by Euphoria101
You’re just trying to be annoying now. All we said was that it’s surprising because most universities have one.

This is actually the point of entry requirements - defining the skills, prior knowledge etc that applicants need to successfully complete the course. If there is no evidence that those without a B grade in English (or whatever) do badly, why ask for it. It seems to me that other Universities may be putting up many artificial barriers where they don't need to - so you do have to ask why they are doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest