The Student Room Group

Economics or graphic design?

I’m in first year and I study computer science maths and economics. I changed to economics from psychology simply because psychology was a bore however I was very happy when I made the move to economics.
But I have been struggling with economics a lot as I cannot seem to achieve a higher grade and I get low grades time and time again. I’ve been talking to my friends and they have suggested I take up graphic design. It seems like a fun subject and it would be useful with computer science.
I won’t be able to carry on with Economics if I get a bad grade at the end of the year. Should I take up graphic design now or wait till the end of the year? I could see how I do in the mid year exams in January? What do you think?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fpatel01
I’m in first year and I study computer science maths and economics. I changed to economics from psychology simply because psychology was a bore however I was very happy when I made the move to economics.
But I have been struggling with economics a lot as I cannot seem to achieve a higher grade and I get low grades time and time again. I’ve been talking to my friends and they have suggested I take up graphic design. It seems like a fun subject and it would be useful with computer science.
I won’t be able to carry on with Economics if I get a bad grade at the end of the year. Should I take up graphic design now or wait till the end of the year? I could see how I do in the mid year exams in January? What do you think?

take graphic design
Original post by nishaohemaaa
take graphic design

What made you say that
You should just take Graphic Design.
I struggled a lot with A Level Computer Science in sixth form and still continued with it, which was a big mistake. It’ll just ruin your chances with everything so imo you should 100% do graphic
Original post by OR321
You should just take Graphic Design.
I struggled a lot with A Level Computer Science in sixth form and still continued with it, which was a big mistake. It’ll just ruin your chances with everything so imo you should 100% do graphic

But did you put a lot of effort into computer science to try and get a better grade?
But did you put a lot of effort into computer science to try and get a better grade?

Yuppp. I did the most work for that subject and did the worst lmao. Simply coz I wasn’t interested enough to understand what I was tryna learn 😂. For example, I did A Level Business too but I didn’t revise that much for it but still got a grade B coz I actually understood everything
Original post by OR321
Yuppp. I did the most work for that subject and did the worst lmao. Simply coz I wasn’t interested enough to understand what I was tryna learn 😂. For example, I did A Level Business too but I didn’t revise that much for it but still got a grade B coz I actually understood everything

That’s understandable then. But the issue I’m having is that economics is more respected than graphics and people recommend to do a maths based subject with computer science
Shall I still go ahead and do graohics?
That’s understandable then. But the issue I’m having is that economics is more respected than graphics and people recommend to do a maths based subject with computer science
Shall I still go ahead and do graohics?

Hell yeah but obvs it’s up to you. But graphic design goes quite well with computer science so I don’t see any issues 🤷 Yeah it’s more respected but in the end, it’s the grades that matter
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by OR321
Hell yeah but obvs it’s up to you. But graphic design goes quite well with computer science so I don’t see any issues 🤷 Yeah it’s more respected but in the end, it’s the grades that matter

That’s very true
Hopefully it’s not too late for me to join graphics
Well actually that’s another issue too :/
Should I just transfer now or should I wait until after the mid year exams? Or shall I wait until the end of the year?
That’s very true
Hopefully it’s not too late for me to join graphics
Well actually that’s another issue too :/
Should I just transfer now or should I wait until after the mid year exams? Or shall I wait until the end of the year?

It’s probably easiest to transfer now coz if you do it at the end of the year they may not let you, or it’ll just be too much workload coz you’ll end up having to learn a years worth of work quite quickly
Original post by OR321
It’s probably easiest to transfer now coz if you do it at the end of the year they may not let you, or it’ll just be too much workload coz you’ll end up having to learn a years worth of work quite quickly

That’s true again
Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it!
That’s true again
Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it!

Anytime mate
ask yourself is it really worth the stress? if you’re struggling now how will you manage in 2nd and 3rd year. it’s up to you x
What made you say that
Original post by nishaohemaaa
ask yourself is it really worth the stress? if you’re struggling now how will you manage in 2nd and 3rd year. it’s up to you x

Ah yes I see what you mean now
Thank you so much!
Ah yes I see what you mean now
Thank you so much!

no worries

Quick Reply

Latest