The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Why does St Andrews tend to have lower A-Level requirements than other top unis?

I've noticed this in a range of subjects and I am just interested in why.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Treetop321

Give us some examples, then.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I might be wrong about this, but I think in Scotland they study more subjects in their equivalent of A levels, so they go into less detail, so don’t know as much on each specific area. Eg. Someone who is applying for physics wouldn’t have as much specific knowledge as someone who has done A level physics.
I know that with some maths degrees, you can get entry into second year with maths and further maths A levels in Scotland.
This only applies to subjects that have directly related A levels though, so there might be another reason.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yalia, your question seemed reasonable. An answer would have provided you both a common reference point to begin the conversation. Are you/will you be a student there?
Original post by Dancer2001
I might be wrong about this, but I think in Scotland they study more subjects in their equivalent of A levels, so they go into less detail, so don’t know as much on each specific area. Eg. Someone who is applying for physics wouldn’t have as much specific knowledge as someone who has done A level physics.
I know that with some maths degrees, you can get entry into second year with maths and further maths A levels in Scotland.
This only applies to subjects that have directly related A levels though, so there might be another reason.

That is one reason that did pop into my head. Even then, some of the 2nd year entries have the same entry requirements as the normal entry.
Reply 5
Because not many people want to go there as it's so cold and far away from home and other major urban areas?

Same reason Aberystwyth does, it has to tempt people to overcome the travelling distance and remoteness from civilisation!
Original post by threeportdrift
Same reason Aberystwyth does, it has to tempt people to overcome the travelling distance and remoteness from civilisation!

That would make sense to me. Anyway, the long-distance and more remote location is what attracts me to St Andrews. Need to get away from civilisation lol :smile:

i think you ought to edit your post with a few examples...
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i think you ought to edit your post with a few examples...

The question has basically been answered as best as possible at the moment so it doesn't really matter.
Reply 10
This was a useless and pointless thread
Original post by klopp
This was a useless and pointless thread

Well it kinda is, but not because the question was pointless, it's because some people can't help but be unkind.

There have been a number of replies which actually aimed to discuss the focus of the thread and they were helpful.
They do have a point. I had a quick look see at the maths entrance reqs, and it's the same as Oxford.

Which courses do you specifically mean?
Reply 13
It’s a four year course. U can get entry to second year with higher a level grades I think.
st Andrew's at Good uni yanno
Original post by vicvic38
They do have a point. I had a quick look see at the maths entrance reqs, and it's the same as Oxford.

Which courses do you specifically mean?

Biology and economics are two of them. Economics generally needs at least one A* at top unis whilst AAB is low for biology compared with other unis.
Biology and economics are two of them. Economics generally needs at least one A* at top unis whilst AAB is low for biology compared with other unis.

Our school said that theyre grades on the website are deceptivley low, but the offer they give you may be much higher grades

I suppose you have a point with those subjects. Weird. Maybe they find that for English students, having AAA and AAB are good enough for their Economics and Biology courses respectively. What you do have to take into consideration is that St Andrews is a Scottish university and as such will probably take the top Scottish Students (for tuition reasons.) They have very high requirements of their Scottish students.
Original post by mrfredeister
Our school said that theyre grades on the website are deceptivley low, but the offer they give you may be much higher grades

Weird considering they give that as their standard offer, with the minimum offer being much lower.

I should think they will probably require based on your predictions, which could be potentially higher than the standard offer.
The question has basically been answered as best as possible at the moment so it doesn't really matter.

but the only answer so far has been a stupid one

6 years ago i needed AAA to get into Biology and they wouldn't allow me in even if I was one mark off
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending