The Student Room Group

Who do you want to be next labour leader.

I do not want Jess Philips. She's too woke, I don't think it will go down well with voters.
I do not want Sadiq khan. He has made Boris look like a competent major of London which is staggering.

But I'd like David miliband. Heck I would quite like Tony Blair.
But I'm one of the few people who agreed with him that Iraq was a war worth fighting.

Who do you want.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Keir Starmer.

While Brexit won’t be the dominant issue in five years there will be an element of judging if it was worth it. As such going for somebody as tarnished as Starmer by being ultra-remain would likely be very bad.
Me tbfh. I’m ready for all the hate that would come my way. I think I’d be great
Someone more centre left, starmer looks to be the best of the bunch
One who:
voted against the war in Iraq, consistently voted against raising tuition fees, consistently voted against austerity measures, has consistently urged the country to increase its corporation tax, has called out the Tory government for funding terrorism and causing the death of thousands of innocents in Yemen, passionately wants to stop selling arms to Afghanistan, talks about more than just brexit and about long term plans unlike the Tories, wants to end zero hour slavery contracts, wants to abolish tuition fees, has been active in campaigning for better mental health services among other in the NHS and wants to abolish the biggest scroungers of them all - the monarchy.

And lastly, has seen the lives of many times of people every day. One thing I liked about Jeremy Corbyn when I met him a few times, when I lived near him, he seemed connected to the people around him, he's aware of the poor housing in the area, what austerity measures and cuts to wages have done.
When a family member had a meeting with him he talked not like a typical MP, but like someone who cares he's certainly not perfect however. I just don't see this with people like Jacob grease mug.

But the problem with the previous leaders (not sure about brown) is that their mistakes are big mistakes, war in Iraq (Blair) Hezbollah comment among other things (Corbyn), even though he retracted that statement.
Reply 6
I don't like starmer tbh.
I'm trying think who else but it's a struggle.

I wouldn't mind a female leader but none have the authority like Thatcher which I think you need.
Even May could run rings around the possible contenders.

Maybe with the exception of Harriet Harman but brexit has damaged her as well
To add to my last post, I'd also like them to be anti hs2.
Reply 8
Original post by NotNotBatman
One who:
voted against the war in Iraq

Imagine if we had listened to the counsel of the so-called anti-war movement. Saddam Hussein would be the owner and occupier of Kuwait. Bosnia would be part of Slobodan Milosevics greater Serbia. Kosovo would be ethnically cleansed and annexed. The Taliban would still be in power in Afghanistan, and al Qaeda would still be their guests. And Hussein would still be terrorizing people in a state most aptly described as a concentration camp above ground and a mass grave below.

The war is both just and necessary. Iraq had lost its sovereignty as far as a state can under international law. It participated in regular aggressions or occupations of territory, violated the letter and spirit of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, violated the Genocide Convention, and played host to international terrorists. Its sovereignty was at an end.

Iraq was under international sanctions; it was a ward of the international community. Its people were being starved to build palaces for their psychopathic dictator. The Baath Party fueled ethnic hatreds with a policy of divide and rule. An imploded state would have made things worse. Do you know who would have invaded then? Turkey would have invaded to take Kurdistan. Iran would have invaded to support its extremist proxies, and Saudi Arabia would have intervened to do the same favor for the Sunni and Wahhabi extremists. In fact, all those powers are trying to meddle in Iraq now. But we are fortunate, as are the Iraqi people, that there is a coalition to hold the ring and prevent it from becoming another Rwanda or another Congo. Intervention was the only responsible course

- Christopher Hitchens

What would Sadam Hussain had to have done for it be ok to intervene in Iraq?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Oh... that woman from last time around. What was her name?
someone of the calibre of the late Denis Healey
Original post by the bear
someone of the calibre of the late Denis Healey

I think anyone of the calibre of Dennis Healey would require the services of Mons Meg.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_Meg
Original post by nulli tertius
I think anyone of the calibre of Dennis Healey would require the services of Mons Meg.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_Meg

he was a big shot in the 70s

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51DXXr3gcGL._SX450_.jpg
John mcdonalds candidate list on Marr's show:

Long Bailey, Butler, Rayner.

If I were a betting man, my money would clearly be on a corbny-supporting reasonably newly elected woman. That seems to be the mold they are going for.
Original post by fallen_acorns

If I were a betting man, my money would clearly be on a corbny-supporting reasonably newly elected woman. That seems to be the mold they are going for.

I think Angela Rayner would be the best of those, and Rebecca Long Bailey the worst.
Original post by Vinny C
Oh... that woman from last time around. What was her name?

Angela Eagle?
Original post by fallen_acorns

I can't say the Tories will be living in fear of any of those.

Long-Bailey is not an especially good communicator and comes across as whiny.
Butler is just poor.
Raynor sounds common which while not an issue for myself, will be an issue to the tory floaters in southern england they need to pull across.

Starmer and Cooper have the best meld of politics and ability to communicate but Starmer is much too tainted by being a London Remoaner and Cooper now has a majority of about 1500 (granted Raynor's is only 4000).

Right now their options are pretty poor.
Reply 17
Don’t like those currently shortlisted by the media as leadership contenders for the Labour Party. I agree with @CoolCavy that Keir Starmer is the best out of a bad bunch because he’s ruthless at the dispatch box but I don’t think he’s the sort of figure who can connect well with voters. I would prefer Yvette Cooper but her majority is very slim. For outsiders, David Miliband would make a very good leader but their party constitution states that leadership contenders must be an MP.
Original post by adam271
I do not want Jess Philips. She's too woke, I don't think it will go down well with voters.
I do not want Sadiq khan. He has made Boris look like a competent major of London which is staggering.

But I'd like David miliband. Heck I would quite like Tony Blair.
But I'm one of the few people who agreed with him that Iraq was a war worth fighting.

Who do you want.

As a Tory who paid £3 to a vote in future Labour Leader Elections, I choose Rebecca Long Bailey as I would feel more comfortable if Boris had a 100+ majority next time. :biggrin:

Reply 19
Kier starmer is a big fat no for me.
We need someone outside the Westminster bubble.
A Scottish person would be good but someone like John Prescott.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending