The Student Room Group

Whats the maths content like in a level physics?

im thinking about doing a level physics but i dont want to do a level maths how complicated is the maths in a level physics?
Reply 1
A-Level Physics is 90% maths. you will need to learn a little extra maths if you wanna do physics.
There is a LOT of maths in physics A Level - maths is 40% of the qualification. If you don't enjoy maths you might not enjoy the a level because of how much maths content is in there. Maths content is harder than GCSE maths - have a look at a few physics specs to see what sort of thing is in there. Saying that I know a few people who did physics without maths, and struggled but did OK. If you enjoy physics as a subject you should do it, but not just because you think it will make you look good or just as an extra subject. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ur gay
A-Level Physics is 90% maths. you will need to learn a little extra maths if you wanna do physics.

Physics is mostly maths but it’s really really basic. If you can rearrange formulas and put the numbers in then it shouldn’t be an issue.
Reply 4
Original post by Elzon
Physics is mostly maths but it’s really really basic. If you can rearrange formulas and put the numbers in then it shouldn’t be an issue.

You would still need to learn a bit of extra stuff like logarithms/exponentials and know the basic idea of calculus.
Original post by Elzon

This. Honestly most of the maths at physics is very very easy to get your head around.
No need to do A level maths in order to do A level physics... But the main catch is that you won't be able to do Physics or Engineering at uni without maths A level.
Reply 7
You don't need maths but -
- there's a lot of rearranging of equations so hopefully your basic algebra is good
- having an understanding of calculus makes certain topics more intuitive, such as capacitance and gravitational fields
- you have to use logarithms in topics on radioactivity
- there is overlap with the mechanics content in A-level maths with moments and projectile motion. That kind of just boils down to rearranging equations again though.
- when it comes to uni courses, anything that requires physics is probably also going to require maths

I'm not going to assign a percentage here of maths content in physics because it's a bit disingenuous to assume that you can get by solely on your maths ability. If you want to earn lots of marks you have to learn what the mark schemes are looking for, 'merely' understanding the content isn't sufficient.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Chowderzzz
This. Honestly most of the maths at physics is very very easy to get your head around.

At O level... maybe. Maybe physics has lowered its standards since my day. Try getting your head around field theory or the laws of thermodynamics without a basic grasp of field differentials. Newton works at first... but then you try to blow his mind, and yours!

Quick Reply

Latest