The Student Room Group

Why do people push in queues? Have they no shame?

So in some nights out when queueing up, people are pushing in the queue! That's not very British!

Now this usually would occur on what I would describe as the chavvy nights. or "basic" as you might say. But still student nights. I thought students were supposed to be intelligent and polite? I can't understand it. Also, these queues are sometimes very loud with people shouting.

I've hardly ever seen anyone push in at other nights such as rock, heavy-metal, or indie.

I don't understand where this attitude of selfishness comes from?

It is the one thing that riles me up. Because I would try to just let it go but then more and more people push in until you're at the end of the queue for another half hour! What's more annoying is that nobody else complains about it! Are they actually sociopaths or psychopaths?

Well I've found one solution and it's to avoid these types of nights. But it gets me sooo cross! 😡 Because I just think, if these people have no empathy for other people, what else might they do in life? It's scary if you think about it.
Bad mannered, impatient and inconsiderate people. :colonhash:
A reflection of the endemic instant gratification and rude entitlement cultures existing within so much of British society.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Bad mannered, impatient and inconsiderate people. :colonhash:
A reflection of the endemic instant gratification and rude entitlement cultures existing within so much of British society.

Yes, but I wonder how people get like that?

I have a theory that maybe these people know they might not progress far in life, so the only joy the get is by having little victories over other people like pushing in front of them. It's quite sad really.

Sometimes I ask them "Why did you push in?" and they just shrug. So rude.
Original post by JustJakkob
Yes, but I wonder how people get like that?

I have a theory that maybe these people know they might not progress far in life, so the only joy the get is by having little victories over other people like pushing in front of them. It's quite sad really.

Sometimes I ask them "Why did you push in?" and they just shrug. So rude.

It happens all the time overseas, especially when I went to Dubai and parts of the Middle East. And it usually ends up in a scuffle when one calls out the other for pushing in.

In the UK, it's quite seldom that someone would shove in front of a queue.

But in saying that, I found that people from other parts of Europe are more well mannered than the British.
I do it when we take group pics. I just hate posing and stuff
Reply 5
Original post by Ooh La La
It happens all the time overseas, especially when I went to Dubai and parts of the Middle East. And it usually ends up in a scuffle when one calls out the other for pushing in.

In the UK, it's quite seldom that someone would shove in front of a queue.

But in saying that, I found that people from other parts of Europe are more well mannered than the British.

True, but that's a different culture.
It's like if you're at a bar in the UK it's not the custom to form a queue.
But if your trying to get in somewhere then you do form a queue.
And these are 100% British people I'm talking about so they should know the rules.
I see this queue jumping a lot!
There was a guy at the bus stop who did this all the time. Nonchalantly would just walk in front of people (including elderly women) to get on the bus. It was only after I helped him fall into a puddle and told him he should wait his turn did he stop doing it.
Reply 7
Original post by bennyj901
There was a guy at the bus stop who did this all the time. Nonchalantly would just walk in front of people (including elderly women) to get on the bus. It was only after I helped him fall into a puddle and told him he should wait his turn did he stop doing it.

I salute you! 🧐
I thought students were supposed to be intelligent and polite?

How on earth did you come up with that conclusion?
Reply 9
Original post by BigBadRay
How on earth did you come up with that conclusion?

Well they have passed A-levels so they must have some basic intelligence. Well, maybe not the polytechnic students who have got 3 GCSEs.
Well they have passed A-levels so they must have some basic intelligence. Well, maybe not the polytechnic students who have got 3 GCSEs.

That is kind of splitting hairs.

An A level isn’t actually a hard academic, artistic, or corporate achievement is it...

So while students may be able to read and write and process basic course material, it is totally over the top to class them as intelligent. I am sure some are, but the reality is that most are rather vacant.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Ooh La La

Apparently it's still polite to form a queue in the Arab world, and not doing so is still very rude, it angers me greatly when people don't follow customs here though. If I ever travel abroad I always make sure to follow the customs and not come across as rude, if you're in a foreign country you should respect how they live,
Original post by Shimo
if you're in a foreign country you should respect how they live,

Unless you’re in France!
Reply 13
Original post by BigBadRay
Unless you’re in France!

haha no-one respects the french. But they do make some nice cheeses.
But they do make some nice cheeses.

You don’t know what they’re putting in them!

Quick Reply

Latest