The Student Room Group

Eligibility for funding

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on funding for postgrad medicine.

I am originally from Northern Ireland but had been living and working in England for three years until 2017. I have been in Australia for the past year on a temporary working visa.

I had a student loan for my first degree from student finance ni. Since then, I had been living and working in England.

Do I qualify for tuition fee support from student finance England for postgrad Medicine in the UK?

Thanks for any advice,

Ayesha
Original post by Ayesha89
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on funding for postgrad medicine.

I am originally from Northern Ireland but had been living and working in England for three years until 2017. I have been in Australia for the past year on a temporary working visa.

I had a student loan for my first degree from student finance ni. Since then, I had been living and working in England.

Do I qualify for tuition fee support from student finance England for postgrad Medicine in the UK?

Thanks for any advice,

Ayesha

Hi Ayesha,

Can I ask if you have returned to the UK yet? and are you planning to return to England to live and when ?

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi Ayesha,

Can I ask if you have returned to the UK yet? and are you planning to return to England to live and when ?

Thanks

Louise

Hi Louise thanks for your reply. Basically I will be returning when I get my place which will hopefully be in the next 1-3 years. I have not yet returned to the UK. I am planning to return to England when I begin my studies.

Thanks,

Ayesha
Hi Louise thanks for your reply. Basically I will be returning when I get my place which will hopefully be in the next 1-3 years. I have not yet returned to the UK. I am planning to return to England when I begin my studies.

Thanks,

Ayesha

Hi Ayesha,
Will you be wishing to study for a Post Graduate Loan(Masters) or would you be studying Graduate entry Medicine?
In order to qualify for Higher Education support as a home student,UK Nationals must meet the following standard residency requirements.

Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and

be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

As you have had a temporary break in residency, students will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent from the UK. And to provide evidence that you are not returning to the UK for the purposes of study.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 4
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. It has been some time now since my message - I am still living in Australia and currently completing a PhD. Can I ask what the criteria for a temporary break in residency is?

If I am deemed to be a home student, would this be as an English resident or Northern Irish resident? I lived in England for three years before I came to Australia.

Kind regards,

Ayesha
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. It has been some time now since my message - I am still living in Australia and currently completing a PhD. Can I ask what the criteria for a temporary break in residency is?

If I am deemed to be a home student, would this be as an English resident or Northern Irish resident? I lived in England for three years before I came to Australia.

Kind regards,

Ayesha

Hi, as you were ordinarily resident in England prior to moving to Australia, you will be classed as a home student. Also, for the temporary break evidence we need to see that it was temporary and was always going to be temporary. Evidence we can accept for temporary evidence would be things like visa’s or work contracts that confirm they are temporary. Thanks, Aaron.
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Aaron
Hi, as you were ordinarily resident in England prior to moving to Australia, you will be classed as a home student. Also, for the temporary break evidence we need to see that it was temporary and was always going to be temporary. Evidence we can accept for temporary evidence would be things like visa’s or work contracts that confirm they are temporary. Thanks, Aaron.

Hi Aaron,
Thanks very much for your reply. I do not have any work contracts or visa's which demonstrate the temporary nature of my stay in Australia. It may be possible to get a letter from any employers I have had specifying that I always intended on returning to the UK - would this suffice?

Thanks again,

Ayesha
Hi Aaron,
Thanks very much for your reply. I do not have any work contracts or visa's which demonstrate the temporary nature of my stay in Australia. It may be possible to get a letter from any employers I have had specifying that I always intended on returning to the UK - would this suffice?

Thanks again,

Ayesha

Hi Ayesha, you should send in as much evidence as possible and then our residency team will review it to see if it's acceptable. You could get the letter from your employer, flight tickets, evidence to show you still had ties to the UK such as making payments with your UK bank account.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending