The Student Room Group

How long does it take to become a doctor in the UK?

So I'm thinking of applying for medicine in 2021, but the only thing I'm doubtful about is the duration of a medicine course. I know in university it's around 5/6 years to complete medicine, but after that how many years are you still in education so in total how long does it take to become a doctor?
Also, if anyone is doing medicine how is your experience so far? I really don't know if I'm taking the right decision here. I have the grades + determination but I don't want it to turn out to be something completely different to my expectations coz then I know I won't be motivated to work hard.
Original post by hehe_x
So I'm thinking of applying for medicine in 2021, but the only thing I'm doubtful about is the duration of a medicine course. I know in university it's around 5/6 years to complete medicine, but after that how many years are you still in education so in total how long does it take to become a doctor?
Also, if anyone is doing medicine how is your experience so far? I really don't know if I'm taking the right decision here. I have the grades + determination but I don't want it to turn out to be something completely different to my expectations coz then I know I won't be motivated to work hard.

It's 5 years to get a medical degree, 6 if you intercalate (basically get a second degree on top of a medical degree). That is then followed by 2 years of foundation training. You then begin training for your speciality (GP is the shortest with 3 years) and that's it. So the shortest amount of time you can become a fully qualified doctor is in 5+2+3=10 years.
Original post by THALCEDONY
It's 5 years to get a medical degree, 6 if you intercalate (basically get a second degree on top of a medical degree). That is then followed by 2 years of foundation training. You then begin training for your speciality (GP is the shortest with 3 years) and that's it. So the shortest amount of time you can become a fully qualified doctor is in 5+2+3=10 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you become a fully qualified doctor after you've got your MBChB/MBBS/Whatever?
Reply 3
Original post by THALCEDONY

surgeons/consultants take a bit longer though. I'm not too sure about other specialities but it takes around 7 years after the foundation programme to become a fully qualified ophthalmologist (eye surgeon). However, most doctors don't just go through the shortest possible route and instead take time off in between to travel, volunteer, do a PhD etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
you qualify as a doctor after your 4/5/6 year mbbs/mbchb/bmbs, so after your degree you are a fully qualified 'doctor' albeit a junior one. it can then take around 5-10 years of extra training after that to become a consultant in your chosen specialty. hope that helps!
To become a consultant? Much longer than anywhere else, and getting longer!

Its sufficiently long that things like maternity leave get in the way too - the average is way more than the 'headline' figures, which you can google.
Reply 6
It's likely to take me 21 years from leaving school to becoming a consultant in my chosen specialty!

Gap year
6 year degree
FY1/2
"FY3" (though nobody was calling it that at the time)
CT1/2
ST3/4
Maternity leave for 10 months
ST5 at 60% LTFT = 20 months total
Bit of ST6
Maternity leave no.2 for 10 months (end date tbc)
Rest of ST6/7 = 3ish years when I return.

And that's with no research time or subspecialty fellowships!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending