The Student Room Group

Maths binomial help

Hi everyone,

I’m stuck with question 4c, I’ve done the rest of it but I’m not sure as to how to attempt that last one.

I’ve put in pictures of both my original workings and the question.

Thanks in advance! :smile: E18686DF-93CB-4E00-98A3-D90FF95DEEBB.jpg.jpeg90C10660-7F96-46CD-95DE-C607C92C5892.jpg.jpeg2C569B30-4D28-4C2D-8648-88BE8954E50D.jpg.jpeg
Original post by science_geeks
Hi everyone,

I’m stuck with question 4c, I’ve done the rest of it but I’m not sure as to how to attempt that last one.

I’ve put in pictures of both my original workings and the question.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Do you know what the range of validity is for a standard expansion (1+x)^(-1) ?
|x|<1 I think?
Original post by RDKGames
Do you know what the range of validity is for a standard expansion (1+x)^(-1) ?
|x|<1 I think?

Yeah, so what are the ranges for your expansions (1-x)^(-1) and (1+3x)^(-1) ?
Sorry completely misread your question!!

I’m not entirely sure what the ranges would be? That’s where I’m getting confused..

Yeah, so what are the ranges for your expansions (1-x)^(-1) and (1+3x)^(-1) ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry completely misread your question!!

I’m not entirely sure what the ranges would be? That’s where I’m getting confused..

Well to go from (1+x)^(-1) with validity |x|<1 we *just replace x by -x* and obtain (1-x)^(-1) with validity (??)
|x|>1???

Well to go from (1+x)^(-1) with validity |x|<1 we *just replace x by -x* and obtain (1-x)^(-1) with validity (??)
|x|>1???

No, you replace x by -x so the validity goes from |x|<1 to |-x|<1.

But since |-x| = |x| that means the range of validity is exactly the same.

Now try again with (1+3x)^(-1)
|-3x|<1??

No, you replace x by -x so the validity goes from |x|<1 to |-x|<1.

But since |-x| = |x| that means the range of validity is exactly the same.

Now try again with (1+3x)^(-1)
|-3x|<1??

Not sure why the minus, though as I have poined out in the above post it has no effect on the range.

To go from (1+x)^(-1) to (1+3x)^(-1) we replace x by 3x therefore the validity goes from being |x|<1 to being |3x|<1 which is the same as |x|<1/3.

So to answer part c, you need to see whether x=1/2 satisfies both ranges of validity in your case |x|<1 and |x|<1/3
Not sure why the minus, though as I have poined out in the above post it has no effect on the range.

To go from (1+x)^(-1) to (1+3x)^(-1) we replace x by 3x therefore the validity goes from being |x|<1 to being |3x|<1 which is the same as |x|<1/3.

So to answer part c, you need to see whether x=1/2 satisfies both ranges of validity in your case |x|<1 and |x|<1/3

Sorry, I could just be not getting this or overcomplicating it but would you then have |x|<1/3 and |x|<1 but how would you show if x=1/2 satisfies this?
Sorry, I could just be not getting this or overcomplicating it but would you then have |x|<1/3 and |x|<1 but how would you show if x=1/2 satisfies this?

Well... |x| = |1/2| = 1/2.

Is this less than 1 ? If so, then this value is in the range of validity for (1+x)^(-1) and the expansion is valid for this value.

Is it less than 1/3 ?? Proceed to deduce the answer in similar fashion.
Well... |x| = |1/2| = 1/2.

Is this less than 1 ? If so, then this value is in the range of validity for (1+x)^(-1) and the expansion is valid for this value.

Is it less than 1/3 ?? Proceed to deduce the answer in similar fashion.

Okay. I think I've got it.. I've put in a picture of my workings. IMG_3669.JPG
Okay. I think I've got it.. I've put in a picture of my workings. IMG_3669.JPG

Yep
Yep

Yay! Finally, sorry that it took so long for me to understand this :colondollar:

I'm also slightly unsure with what I should do with this question (3c) I'll post a picture of my prior workings too. Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 10.14.34.pngBinomial.JPG

@RDKGames - could you possibly help with this one too please?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yay! Finally, sorry that it took so long for me to understand this :colondollar:

I'm also slightly unsure with what I should do with this question (3c) I'll post a picture of my prior workings too. Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 10.14.34.pngBinomial.JPG

You need a valid value of x such that (1+3x) is 1.000003 and (1-3x) is 0.999997.

Then sub that value in the approximation
You need a valid value of x such that (1+3x) is 1.000003 and (1-3x) is 0.999997.

Then sub that value in the approximation

So would that be (1+3x) = 1.000003 (then solve)

(1-3x)= 0.999997 and then solve for x. Then sub back into the binomial expansion??
So would that be (1+3x) = 1.000003 (then solve)

(1-3x)= 0.999997 and then solve for x. Then sub back into the binomial expansion??

Yep
Yep

Awesome - that makes a lot of sense! Thanks so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest