The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They're interchangeable imo

I would rather go to Cambridge but only because I like the city of Cambridge and I think the city of Oxford sucks, otherwise I have no preference comparing the unis
Original post by OMG354
Which uni is the Harvard of England :Oxford or Cambridge?

London Met
Reply 3
Original post by Glaz
They're interchangeable imo

I would rather go to Cambridge but only because I like the city of Cambridge and I think the city of Oxford sucks, otherwise I have no preference comparing the unis

So Cambridge is the Harvard of England ?
Reply 4
I thought that Cambridge is the Harvard of England at the beginning too. Oxford is more like Columbia/ Yale / NYU of England
Original post by OMG354

That's not what I said. In terms of uni quality, they're interchangeable, I just personally prefer Cambridge because of the city, but many people will disagree
Reply 6
Harvard is older tho perhaps Hull is the Harvard of England ?
Original post by OMG354
I thought that Cambridge is the Harvard of England at the beginning too. Oxford is more like Columbia/ Yale / NYU of England

If you say so, you seem awfully knowledgeable
Reply 8
Original post by Glaz
That's not what I said. In terms of uni quality, they're interchangeable, I just personally prefer Cambridge because of the city, but many people will disagree

Nah I agree , Cambridge is the Harvard of England
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
If you say so, you seem awfully knowledgeable

Thank you sir
Original post by OMG354

Cambridge is not the Harvard of England, but Harvard is the Cambridge of the US. Cambridge is older and more prestigious than Harvard IMO. Also a Cambridge alumni, John Harvard, helped to found the University.
Original post by OMG354
Thank you sir

It's ok, I've just noticed how accurate you are about everything
Original post by Wired_1800
Cambridge is not the Harvard of England, but Harvard is the Cambridge of the US. Cambridge is older and more prestigious than Harvard IMO.

Oxford is older than them both.

Can you really measure prestige, though?
Reply 13
Original post by Wired_1800
Cambridge is not the Harvard of England, but Harvard is the Cambridge of the US. Cambridge is older and more prestigious than Harvard IMO. Also a Cambridge alumni, John Harvard, helped to found the University.

Yeah I know that Cambridge is most probably the best uni in the world , just wanna compare the UK unis to the US, I always thought Harvard was like Cambridge but Oxford was more like Yale / Columbia / NYU
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski

Yup we can, Newton Milton Darwin all went to Cambridge , hawking left Oxford for Cambridge cuz Cambridge was better
Original post by OMG354
Yup we can, Newton Milton Darwin all went to Cambridge , hawking left Oxford for Cambridge cuz Cambridge was better

That doesn't mean anything though.

Prestige is more about name recognition than actually being good. Aston Martin was regularly named the top brand in the world, but it doesn't mean their cars are the best, just that the badge was sought after.
Original post by OMG354
Yeah I know that Cambridge is most probably the best uni in the world , just wanna compare the UK unis to the US, I always thought Harvard was like Cambridge but Oxford was more like Yale / Columbia / NYU

Ok, yes, Harvard is like Cambridge.
Original post by Drewski

No, you cant and I agree that Oxford is older than Cambridge.
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
That doesn't mean anything though.

Prestige is more about name recognition than actually being good. Aston Martin was regularly named the top brand in the world, but it doesn't mean their cars are the best, just that the badge was sought after.

Well in this case
I'd rank these unis in order of the following
1) Cambridge
2) MIT
3) Stanford
4) Harvard
5) Princeton
6) Yale
7) Columbia
8 ) ETH Zurich
9) University of Pennsylvania ( Can't go wrong with Wharton)
10) UChicago
11) CALtech
12) McGill
13 NYU/ Oxford

17) Imperial

25) UCL
Original post by OMG354
Well in this case
I'd rank these unis in order of the following
1) Cambridge
2) MIT
3) Stanford
4) Harvard
5) Princeton
6) Yale
7) Columbia
8 ) ETH Zurich
9) University of Pennsylvania ( Can't go wrong with Wharton)
10) UChicago
11) CALtech
12) McGill
13 NYU/ Oxford

17) Imperial

25) UCL

Thing is...

....nobody cares.

Latest

Trending

Trending